The Student Room Group

Firm and Conditional offers

I'm applying for a Primary Education course and have my heart set on going to the University of Reading so I applied for 2 similar courses there, a course with an English pathway and a more general course. Both have given me the exact same entry grades (BBB).

Is it worth putting the English pathway course as my firm and having the general pathway as insurance?
All my other options have offered me 120 UCAS points, and although I don't hate them, they won't suit me as much.

Original post by eggyw
I'm applying for a Primary Education course and have my heart set on going to the University of Reading so I applied for 2 similar courses there, a course with an English pathway and a more general course. Both have given me the exact same entry grades (BBB).

Is it worth putting the English pathway course as my firm and having the general pathway as insurance?
All my other options have offered me 120 UCAS points, and although I don't hate them, they won't suit me as much.

Are you saying that your have two offers from Reading (for slightly different courses) - both asking for BBB - and that your other options are asking for 120 UCAS points - i.e. BBB. So all your options want the same grades? Was that on purpose? What will you do if you don't get BBB?

Do you any have reason to believe that the "general pathway" course might be more flexible than the "English pathway" course, if you were to miss the BBB requirement? Current students on both courses typically have BBB, according to The Uni Guide (see here and here).

Do you any have reason to believe that any of your other options might be more flexible on their 120 point (i.e. BBB requirement) if you just missed it?
Fitm the course you prefer but having the other as an insurance will be risky if you don't get BBB
If there's quite a bit of gap in terms of your preference between option 2 and 3 then I would probably firm and insure both at the same grade. It does give you a bit less wiggle room, but you're trying to maximise your chances of getting in to a preferred course, not accepting a step down because it asked for lower grades.

If 2 and 3 aren't that far apart in terms of how you consider them, then it might be worth insuring a lower requirement.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Are you saying that your have two offers from Reading (for slightly different courses) - both asking for BBB - and that your other options are asking for 120 UCAS points - i.e. BBB. So all your options want the same grades? Was that on purpose? What will you do if you don't get BBB?

Do you any have reason to believe that the "general pathway" course might be more flexible than the "English pathway" course, if you were to miss the BBB requirement? Current students on both courses typically have BBB, according to The Uni Guide (see here and here).

Do you any have reason to believe that any of your other options might be more flexible on their 120 point (i.e. BBB requirement) if you just missed it?

Unfortunately yes, all of my options want the same grades/points, I'm lucky that I already have an A* in my EPQ (worth half an A-level in UCAS points) so I feel more likely to get into a UCAS points offer. However, the University of Reading doesn't count the EPQ for their teaching courses. At the moment I'm working at A* AA and so although I hope I can get this in the A-levels I'm more anxious as to what could happen if one of my grades suddenly drops as then I could be left with no universities. I'm now having a look at the flexibility of my options so Thank you :smile:)
Original post by eggyw
Unfortunately yes, all of my options want the same grades/points, I'm lucky that I already have an A* in my EPQ (worth half an A-level in UCAS points) so I feel more likely to get into a UCAS points offer. However, the University of Reading doesn't count the EPQ for their teaching courses. At the moment I'm working at A* AA and so although I hope I can get this in the A-levels I'm more anxious as to what could happen if one of my grades suddenly drops as then I could be left with no universities. I'm now having a look at the flexibility of my options so Thank you :smile:)

Understood. That A* in your EPQ (worth 28 points) makes the UCAS points-based offers (i.e. the non-Reading ones) more attractive for your insurance choice. You could drop all the way to CCC and still meet the 120-point offer condition (32 points for each C, plus 28 for the A* EPQ). Now that's a long way from the A* AA you're currently working at, but if you get at least BBB it'd be irrelevant anyway. Your insurance offer is always something you hope not to take advantage of.

Have you checked that the courses which quote their offers in terms of UCAS points accept the points from the EPQ? Not all do.

For example, for their BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS, Manchester Met say here "120 UCAS Tariff Points" but also say "The Extended Project qualification (EPQ) is not accepted. Similarly, for their Primary Education (QTS) BA (Hons) course, Nottingham Trent say "Standard offer: 120 UCAS Tariff points from up to three qualifications" (my emphasis). So don't assume the points from the EPQ will be counted - do check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending