The Student Room Group

Teaching

I’m applying to universities for September 2024.
The idea of university is scaring me. I’m really worried about the workload, and not being able to manage.
I’ve always wanted to become a teacher and I’ve even been getting work experience in a primary school since June 2022 (when I finished GCSEs).
I was thinking I’ll do a year of uni and see how it goes. If I can’t manage then I’ll drop out and become a TA.
Please tell me your thoughts on this, as I am unsure if I’d be DOIng the right thing. Am I just being a pussy? My family rlly want me to go to uni
Original post by Syed998
The idea of university is scaring me. I’m really worried about the workload, and not being able to manage.
I’ve always wanted to become a teacher and I’ve even been getting work experience in a primary school since June 2022 (when I finished GCSEs).
I was thinking I’ll do a year of uni and see how it goes. If I can’t manage then I’ll drop out and become a TA.
Please tell me your thoughts on this, as I am unsure if I’d be DOIng the right thing. Am I just being a pussy? My family rlly want me to go to uni

Hi @Syed998

I understand that the thought of university can be very scary because you just don’t know what to expect!
However, if it is something you want to do then I would definitely give it a go. University is tough but if you enjoy your subject it is a great experience. You actually have more time to yourself than you realise.
I would encourage you to get yourself to some open days and talk to current students and lecturers.
There are many different degrees you can do relating to teaching so finding the right one for you is possible.*

I am currently in my third year of studying BA (Hons) Educations Studies and I absolutely love it! I wouldn’t describe myself as very academic or bright but I have managed to do extremely well simply because I have a keen interest. Bear in mind my degree won’t qualify me to teach so I have to complete another year of teacher training called a PGCE which is at Masters level.

My course is not as full on as BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS, and that is simply because as well as studying for your degree you are also working towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). QTS involves a lot of placement which does make it a bit tough but some students prefer being in school and getting hands-on experience. So again, it really depends on your style and approach to education.*

There are many different routes to becoming a teacher so if university ends up not being right for you then there are other options. Many TAs who have been working for a minimum of 3 years are able to train for QTS on its own and become a teacher.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by Syed998

Hi, If you want to be a teacher, then go for it as you need a degree to qualify as a teacher - even if you have lots of experience as a TA. If you are successful in getting accepted onto a course, then it's because you are good enough. There is lots of support there to help and lots of people feeing just like you.

What have you applied to do? You could go and do a 3 year degree with or without QTS, but remember at interview, make sure you ask questions that help you decide whether the course is for you - not just whether they like you.

Best wishes,
Aly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending