The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Comparison?

I was wondering what the Oxford brookes experience is like?

What other unis is it similar too? How does it compare to other mid table unis.

I've got an offer for a MSc and have been around the block in terms of uk unis. The headington campus looks green and peaceful is this true?
Hi,

Firstly congratulations on your offer for a Masters, that's great!

I can't offer any comparison with other unis as I don't go to them but as a student at Brookes as I can tell you a little more about what my experience has been like.

I've just finished my second year of Geography BSc and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I came after taking a gap year so was worried about making friends and feeling older than everyone One of the reasons I picked Brookes was how comfortable I felt walking into Headington campus. There's so much going on with a super friendly atmosphere. OUr student's union put on loads of events for students and we have over 100 societies that are open to everyone. Oxford as a city has lots to offer students with so much to do from quirky cafes, cocktail bars, museums and theatres to name but a few. And yes, it is reasonably peaceful- as peaceful as the hub of a uni can be! It gets busier around exam season and if there's an event happening.

Academics wise, you're assigned an academic advisor who you can go to at any stage of your degree for anything from worries about grades to personal problems you might be having. I have always felt very supported by the staff at Brookes and feel they are invested in my progress.

I hope this answers your questions, feel free to ask more.

All the best,
Helen :smile:
Student Ambassador
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Oxford Brookes Student Ambassadors
Hi,

Firstly congratulations on your offer for a Masters, that's great!

I can't offer any comparison with other unis as I don't go to them but as a student at Brookes as I can tell you a little more about what my experience has been like.

I've just finished my second year of Geography BSc and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I came after taking a gap year so was worried about making friends and feeling older than everyone One of the reasons I picked Brookes was how comfortable I felt walking into Headington campus. There's so much going on with a super friendly atmosphere. OUr student's union put on loads of events for students and we have over 100 societies that are open to everyone. Oxford as a city has lots to offer students with so much to do from quirky cafes, cocktail bars, museums and theatres to name but a few. And yes, it is reasonably peaceful- as peaceful as the hub of a uni can be! It gets busier around exam season and if there's an event happening.

Academics wise, you're assigned an academic advisor who you can go to at any stage of your degree for anything from worries about grades to personal problems you might be having. I have always felt very supported by the staff at Brookes and feel they are invested in my progress.

I hope this answers your questions, feel free to ask more.

All the best,
Helen :smile:
Student Ambassador

Helen,

Thanks for the info, is the headington campus a green campus? Also is it the main campus? Did you live in halls first year? What was it like?
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Helen,

Thanks for the info, is the headington campus a green campus? Also is it the main campus? Did you live in halls first year? What was it like?

Hi,

I'm picking up here where Helen left off here :smile: Again, congrats on your Masters offer!

At Brookes there is a big focus on being 'green' and sustainable on all of our campuses, including Headington. Here is a quick link our website which tells you all about our sustainability plans in a bit more detail: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/sustainability/
From my experience at Brookes there is always plenty of wildlife, especially around Headington Hill and Harcourt Hill. My course if based at Harcourt Hill and very often I see rabbits and deer around the campus!

Headington (Gipsy Lane) is what many people call our main campus. It's where student services, careers advice, student union etc. is all based. It also is home to the majority of our departments so most students will study there. I believe it is also home to most of our newest buildings giving it a very modern look. However, we do have a lovely quad and a garden to make sure there are elements of green even in such a modern campus.

The different campuses we have can all get a little bit confusing, so I'll give you a quick breakdown and link you to a page on our website where you can see maps etc.

We have our Harcourt Hill campus which is based in Botley (West Oxford).

In Headington we have our Gipsy Lane campus. This is our 'main' campus.

Across the road from Gipsy lane there is Headington Hill.

A few minutes away from Gipsy lane is our Marston Road Campus.

(Gipsy Lane, Headington Hill and Marston Road are often collectively known as Headington Campus)

We have Wheatley campus in East Oxford. (Most courses at this campus are in the process of being moved over to Headington)

We also have Swindon Campus, this is South West of Oxford.

Hopefully that quick run down of the campuses will help, I know when I first moved to Brookes I was just a little confused about all of the different campuses at first. Here's a link which shows you all of the campuses in more detail: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/contacts-maps-and-campuses/

So, onto first year accommodation :smile: I stayed in halls for my first year, I am also staying in halls for my second year and hope to stay in them for my final year too. Personally, I live on Harcourt Hill, I really love it there, it very green and peaceful (after freshers week at least), it is also very handy as all of my lectures are just a 2 minute stroll away but there are regular busses into town and to Headington and Wheatly too.
There is accommodation all over Oxford depending on what you like and what campuses you want to be close to. There are also specific Postgrad parts of some halls, as well as subject specific halls (if you course requires a different contract length). If you check out this website it will show you all of the Postgrad options as well as linking you to subject specific options if that applies to you: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/prospective-students/halls/

That was a super long response! But hopefully it's been helpful. Just let us know if you have any more questions and we'll be more than happy to help :smile:

Thanks so much!
Catrin
Student Ambassador :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending