The Student Room Group

a level chem question- organic

which compounds are able to react with concentrated sulphuric acid give a product that will declorise acidic potassium manganate (VII)?
the answer is these two: (CH3)3OH and CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3. so this is a tertiary alcohol and a secondary alcohol... but what will the products be when they react with conc. sulphuric acid which will react with KMnO4...thats what i dont get.
so_soon
which compounds are able to react with concentrated sulphuric acid give a product that will declorise acidic potassium manganate (VII)?
the answer is these two: (CH3)3OH and CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3. so this is a tertiary alcohol and a secondary alcohol... but what will the products be when they react with conc. sulphuric acid which will react with KMnO4...thats what i dont get.
Gives alkenes. Alkenes then react with acidified Manganate to give di-ols, hence the colour change from purple to colourless :smile:
Reply 2
thanks!
so_soon
thanks!
No probs :smile: I'm shocked as to how I remembered this stuff after 3 years :p:
Mustard-man
Gives alkenes. Alkenes then react with acidified Manganate to give di-ols, hence the colour change from purple to colourless :smile:

Not to be too picky but the colour change is from deep purple to brown :smile:
EierVonSatan
Not to be too picky but the colour change is from deep purple to brown :smile:
Nah, it's purple to colourless when the Manganate is in acidic conditions, which is the condition I stated. It's something else when it's in alkaline conditions, which is probably what you are referring to.

Edit: yeah, I was right. See chemguide :smile:
Reply 6
heres another similar one: compund x on reaction with hot concentrated sulphuric acid gave a mixture of three alkenes.

a- butan-2-ol
b- propan-2-ol
c- 2-methylbutan-2-ol
d- 2-methylpropan-2-ol

according to the mark scheme, the answer is a, but how in the world was i supposed to figure that out?
so_soon
heres another similar one: compund x on reaction with hot concentrated sulphuric acid gave a mixture of three alkenes.

a- butan-2-ol
b- propan-2-ol
c- 2-methylbutan-2-ol
d- 2-methylpropan-2-ol

according to the mark scheme, the answer is a, but how in the world was i supposed to figure that out?
Well, draw the structure of each alcohol, then draw the possible resulting products of each one. You will find that butan-2-ol can give three alkene structures, two of which are cis and trans geometric isomers.
Reply 8
ok but which bonds are supposed to be breaking/where does it attack?
Reply 9
anybody?
Reply 10
btw how do u revise for organic chemistry because most of it is understanding and im finding it difficult to understand it all..is there a way where i can just memorise the formulas

Latest