The Student Room Group

How to upgrade your fx-82es, fx-83es and fx-85es to a fx991es

Scroll to see replies

Does this work for any MS versions? (I have both)
Also, if this doesn't work or you colour in the wrong thing... can it damage your calculator?
And will the buttons all stay the same apart from the Abs and Calc someone said?
I don't wanna have to make my calculator all ugly with a load of stickers/pen! lol
donteatthepie
Does this work for any MS versions? (I have both)
Also, if this doesn't work or you colour in the wrong thing... can it damage your calculator?
And will the buttons all stay the same apart from the Abs and Calc someone said?
I don't wanna have to make my calculator all ugly with a load of stickers/pen! lol

MS nope. ES yes.
You can't go wrong, it's the only split blob so you can't ruin any others.
Yes the buttons stay the same except those two.
How easy is it to rub off the pencil if you wanna change it back, can be done just with your finger I presume?
I'm gonna go seek out my mini screw driver lol :biggrin:
It took me a few goes with a proper pencil eraser until all the graphite was off.
Mine wouldn't convert however much graphite I put on. I even managed to grab hold of some solder!
Korin
Heh, wow. Thanks for the tip, I didn't think it'd work at all, but lo and behold...

Now I just need to see if I can work out how to use all these new functions, I've never even used a matrix or anything before, but hey. :smile:

nice one!:cool:
sohanshah
Mine wouldn't convert however much graphite I put on. I even managed to grab hold of some solder!

Really? Have you got a picture of your circuit board?
not any longer, :no:. I bought the new calculator.
Did it! Thanks :biggrin:
Now trying to figure out how to actually USE what there is lol
Think I'm gonna go find an online manual =]
Reply 109
Hello There, ok i have seen the last posts, and i would like to know if anybody know how to upgrade an fx-82ES, well my calculator has a different circuit, i could no find any Px Jumper, in fact some kind of things does change, because we cant find p1 p2 p3 p4 jumpers, in fact it has renamed, i think as "D1_1" "D2_2" etc, :frown: i think the only way to know it is trying to close every bridge once at time, and test if the functions appears, i attach some pictures of my fx-82ES,
I realized this, when d1_3 bridge is close in the test mode 7 +shift +on it appears something like MODE P3.

Ill be pleased if anybody know to upgrade it.
I already know that its easier to buy a new one, but this is an special case, i dont surrender.

Greetings
Reply 110
sorry,you are on your own. P3 is the normal mode for fx-83es, your aim is P0. if the method describe in this thread doesn't work, i haven't got a clue. i think a good idea is to connect different bridges, but i doubt that would work, otherwise someone would have posted about it.
I managed to achieve 'mode P?' on two different models of calculator today, having read this thread last night.

For an FX-85ES with no marked letter (no A or B in a ring), I had to colour the jumper marked D1_4
For two FX-83ES with an (A) marking I marked the P4 jumper.

All three worked, X^3 is available, as is the Modulus (ABS) key, allthough there positions moved, and i cannot remember where to, they were not my calculators.

I notice that the only difference between (A) and (B) calculators is the tracks from the processor (covered in black plastic) are not present in the (B) models. If it were possible to remove the black covering, it should be possible to modify the mode.

Best of luck to everyone.
Reply 112
Okay I've done the little mod, what can I do with it though :p: doing C1-4 and FP1-3.
Reply 113
I can't get it to work, I coloured in the P4, but that didn't work, so i tried to copy what the russian page says and that didn't work either. I've got a standard board. Any ideas?
Here I made a short video showing where P4 is in case people are still stuck. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tddzGtknxAE

Also about the B revision of the circuit try posting some pics.

And ti89+'s a DEFINITELY not allowed in exams I remember reading that on the front of the paper, though I sat Edexcel not AQA it would have been a few years ago now.
i have calculater fx-85ES
is that upgradeable?
Reply 116
Hello from Poznań University of Technology :smile: I think I'm near to find a way to upgrade version B.

Today I've borrowed FX-350ES, same as Your FX-82ES and compared with my FX-911ES. The differences are shown in the picture:
http://www.eksel.user.icpnet.pl/porownanie.jpg

As You see, the FX-911ES version B has no C10 condenser and P9 jumper is opened. I think to upgrade 350 You need just to cut out the jumper and the condenser. I wanted to do it and test, but my friend is affraid :smile:

I contemplate what for are jumpers P20 and P21. Both in 911 and 350 P21 is closed, and P20 is opened. There's also financial version of 911 in shops - maybe P20 activates financial mode when P21 is cut out. That's just a guess - I'll try it later. Closing both jumpers make the calculator to turn off.

At the bottom od the board, there are printed many numbers which only one isn't coloured black. AS follows:
FX-911ES is SR380
FX-350ES is SR381
I have no idea what are other numbers. Probably the financial versions described here http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/sc/financial/

Both of these calculatros have ROM 018. What ROM version do You have?

Hi-res photos
http://www.eksel.user.icpnet.pl/911.JPG
http://www.eksel.user.icpnet.pl/350.JPG
thnx so much ur awesome, i had just bought a 991 but even so, it was useful to convert my old fx 83. Thnx a lot mate :biggrin:
Reply 118
Bad news for people wanting to upgrade claculators with B on. They have been specifically modified so you can't!

My friend gave me this image of his model B and his borther's model A.

Reply 119
Notice that my version B differs from yours! Check photos in my post.

How did you remove the black epoxy? With an air gun? Can you upload a photo of the integrated circuit?

As You see, the FX-911ES version B has no C10 condenser and P9 jumper is opened. I think to upgrade 350 You need just to cut out the jumper and the condenser. I wanted to do it and test, but my friend is affraid :smile:

I've tested and doesn't work. Absolutely no difference.

Quick Reply

Latest