The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

So now I'm doing my A level for the first year and I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry, and biology. But now I found that they are so stressful especially I have moved across the country to live with my family in Northern Ireland and a completely new environment and school with an intensive course keep making me feel so overwhelmed.

So I decided to talk to my personal tutor and he said I could even drop either maths or physics but I need to keep Chem and Bio which is fine for me.

But I'm not sure if i drop either of those could give me bad effect when I'm going to the uni or not (I'm looking to do at Queen's University Belfast as my first choice but I don't mind having another options)

Could anybody help me sort this out please? Thank you so much
I dropped my 4th and kept maths chem biology. Another option would be to see if you can take AS level physics - QUB were asking for three A levels plus an AS or EPQ or something in addition. I think the requirement for a fourth qualification has been relaxed now but I’m not sure if this has an effect on the grade requirements for the other three.
Original post by Tipanan99
So now I'm doing my A level for the first year and I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry, and biology. But now I found that they are so stressful especially I have moved across the country to live with my family in Northern Ireland and a completely new environment and school with an intensive course keep making me feel so overwhelmed.

So I decided to talk to my personal tutor and he said I could even drop either maths or physics but I need to keep Chem and Bio which is fine for me.

But I'm not sure if i drop either of those could give me bad effect when I'm going to the uni or not (I'm looking to do at Queen's University Belfast as my first choice but I don't mind having another options)

If you're sure you want to do medicine, then I'd drop either physics or maths, depending on which you enjoy least.
Reply 23
My son has dropped Biology and is doing Chemistry, Maths and Physics. There are a few med schools which require Biology, but not that many. As Sanity said, QUB was still asking for an AS in a 4th subject when we were looking. If you know you are interested in any particular med schools, e-mail their Admissions people for advice - they are generally very friendly.

If you are doing BMAT, you will find it useful to have Y12 knowledge in all 4 of your subjects.

NO universities I have come across really mind whether medics have 3 or 4, including Oxbridge, but most insist that you get the grades for their standard offer, which will be for 3 A levels, so AABB is not as likely to get you in as AAA.
Original post by Tipanan99

I dropped my fourth and did maths. I find with maths it’s less to remember and more about practice so it’s easier to do along side biology and chemistry, which require a lot of remembering. I did old spec though so not sure how much it’s changed. I think a lot of med applicants do maths, chemistry and biology.
No University requires more than 3 A levels - and A*A*A* will always look better than ABBB.

Too many people are pressured into taking 4 by their school (it looks nice on their league tables) and end up missing University places in August as a result,

Don't do it.
Original post by returnmigrant
No University requires more than 3 A levels - and A*A*A* will always look better than ABBB.

Too many people are pressured into taking 4 by their school (it looks nice on their league tables) and end up missing University places in August as a result,

Don't do it.

Thank you so much.
I’ll see how I go with further maths but I might just drop the course and pop into the lessons from time to time if I’m bored 😂
yes drop further maths and maths you only need 2 a lvels and no EPQ they hate them.
Original post by astrothunder
yes drop further maths and maths you only need 2 a lvels and no EPQ they hate them.

As much as I’ll take all advice on board I’m going to keep further maths and the EPQ.
thanks though.
Original post by astrothunder

Please ignore this.
Original post by returnmigrant
Please ignore this.

soz i thought we were talking about beauty degree
So I'm in yr12 and I'm studying Psychology, Sociology and English Literature as my A-levels!
I always wanted to become a Pediatrician but I got 55 for GCSE Trilogy so my school didn't let me take Biology and Chemistry. So I started thinking about nursing maybe? However, pediatrics has always been my dream and I don't think I can just forget it...is there any alternative routes to medicine? Please let me know I'm desperate!!
Thank you... <3
Reply 32
Original post by TCL
My son has dropped Biology and is doing Chemistry, Maths and Physics. There are a few med schools which require Biology, but not that many. As Sanity said, QUB was still asking for an AS in a 4th subject when we were looking. If you know you are interested in any particular med schools, e-mail their Admissions people for advice - they are generally very friendly.

If you are doing BMAT, you will find it useful to have Y12 knowledge in all 4 of your subjects.

NO universities I have come across really mind whether medics have 3 or 4, including Oxbridge, but most insist that you get the grades for their standard offer, which will be for 3 A levels, so AABB is not as likely to get you in as AAA.

18 out of 35 (if you exclude Buckingham and UCLAN) medical schools require Biology, so slightly over half of them. Doing both Chemistry and Biology A levels plus any other academic subject is least likely to limit choices
Reply 33
Original post by GANFYD
18 out of 35 (if you exclude Buckingham and UCLAN) medical schools require Biology, so slightly over half of them. Doing both Chemistry and Biology A levels plus any other academic subject is least likely to limit choices

Sorry about that, all the ones we are looking at just want chemistry (Newcastle, Sheffield, Bristol, Oxbridge, Leeds) and Edinburgh was the only one we considered which needed Biology.
If you get good predictions and do well in your A-levels (3As or higher) in the subjects that you're doing, you can apply to Medicine with a Foundation Year courses. These are designed for people who have taken the wrong A-levels to do medicine and spend a year to bring you up to speed with everyone else on the main course at that university. These courses generally have minimum GCSE requirements (but not necessarily specific grades in science).

That said, you would have to consider why you did badly at GCSE trilogy science, because if you found that very difficult, then there's a decent chance that you would not be able to keep up with a medical course. If it was extenuating circumstances or poor learning habits, it would be a good idea to make sure you have everything in order by the time you apply.

If you want to do medicine or nursing, you should also probably start thinking about getting some work shadowing or volunteering in place now, as it can take a while to arrange and it's good to show long-term volunteering on your application.

Good luck!
If I take biology ,chemistry and psychology for A-level. Can i get into medicine?
Yep. Most unis only want chem and bio. Rarely do they ask for maths (btw I’m doing chem bio and geography)
Original post by Bidachanee
No not with psychology, unis don’t allow that as there is an overlap in content from physcology and biology. Starting from 2020 all medical schools want student to be sitting 4 A level exams with 3 sciences (science meaning bio, chem, physics, maths) and a 4th subject that is an a level language

So can i not get into medicine if i pick these 3 A Levels.
Reply 38
Original post by Bidachanee
No not with psychology, unis don’t allow that as there is an overlap in content from physcology and biology. Starting from 2020 all medical schools want student to be sitting 4 A level exams with 3 sciences (science meaning bio, chem, physics, maths) and a 4th subject that is an a level language

I assume this is a troll? I cannot think of a med school that will not accept Psychology and am not aware of plans for it to be compulsory for 4 A levels and a language. If you believe this is genuine, can you post your sources, please?
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
So can i not get into medicine if i pick these 3 A Levels.

Yes, you can get into med school with these A levels
Reply 39
Original post by GANFYD
I assume this is a troll? I cannot think of a med school that will not accept Psychology and am not aware of plans for it to be compulsory for 4 A levels and a language. If you believe this is genuine, can you post your sources, please?

Yes, you can get into med school with these A levels

Just be aware that if you want to go to any universities which use the BMAT, you may have to work quite hard to get your maths and physics up to scratch at the beginning of Y13. This may not be an issue for you as more universities use UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending