The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TCL
Just be aware that if you want to go to any universities which use the BMAT, you may have to work quite hard to get your maths and physics up to scratch at the beginning of Y13. This may not be an issue for you as more universities use UKCAT.

Assume this was aimed at @Zoeyyyyyyyy?
Thank you for every advice you guys and is it true that from 2020? It will change? And we need to do 3 sciences and language? I’m so curious about this. Please post some sources for me to research more about it please
Original post by Bidachanee
No not with psychology, unis don’t allow that as there is an overlap in content from physcology and biology. Starting from 2020 all medical schools want student to be sitting 4 A level exams with 3 sciences (science meaning bio, chem, physics, maths) and a 4th subject that is an a level language

Nonsense.
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
So can i not get into medicine if i pick these 3 A Levels.

No
Original post by GANFYD
I assume this is a troll? I cannot think of a med school that will not accept Psychology and am not aware of plans for it to be compulsory for 4 A levels and a language. If you believe this is genuine, can you post your sources, please?

Yes, you can get into med school with these A levels

Ring corporate gmc number at the bottom of their website and ask to be directed to chief executive with clearance level 4 and ask him. It’s something they are trying to keep hidden at the moment as they know it will cause up roar
Original post by Bidachanee
Ring corporate gmc number at the bottom of their website and ask to be directed to chief executive with clearance level 4 and ask him. It’s something they are trying to keep hidden at the moment as they know it will cause up roar

Please do not post information you know not to be correct. From your previous posts, you have been a PA and are ?possibly a medical student at the moment, so you know full well that you are being non-constructive.
(edited 5 years ago)
So does that mean if I drop physics and don’t do one more subject about language then I wouldn’t be able to study medicine? So I need to do 5 subjects? Really?
Original post by Tipanan99
So does that mean if I drop physics and don’t do one more subject about language then I wouldn’t be able to study medicine? So I need to do 5 subjects? Really?

No, not at all. Ignore this - it's trolling and please report it under 'not constructive'

For medicine, you need 2 science/maths A levels. Your third choice can be anything. Most schools will want one of the science A levels to be chemistry. That's about it for the vast majority of medical schools.
Original post by Reality Check
No, not at all. Ignore this - it's trolling and please report it under 'not constructive'

For medicine, you need 2 science/maths A levels. Your third choice can be anything. Most schools will want one of the science A levels to be chemistry. That's about it for the vast majority of medical schools.

I know. It sounds so ridiculous and there’s no point doing that. Thank you so much and I have dropped my physics today and I feel so relived and I have more time to revise and focus on the subjects that really important to me.
Original post by Tipanan99
I know. It sounds so ridiculous and there’s no point doing that. Thank you so much and I have dropped my physics today and I feel so relived and I have more time to revise and focus on the subjects that really important to me.

You're welcome. So which subjects are you left with?
For a level can I take:
Biology chemistry, philosophy and psychology?
Yes, as long as youre not applying for Oxbridge its fine.
Reply 52
Hey! I am currently in Year 12 and I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Economics and RS. I am thinking of dropping RS and do the AS exam this year. I was wondering if I could still do medicine with BIO, CHEM and ECONOMICS. I know economics is a non facilitating subject...... so I was wondering if i could still do it?

btw what unis could i get into as well!
What subjects do they require?
Original post by peachystudy
For a level can I take:
Biology chemistry, philosophy and psychology?

Yes that's fine, but you really don't need to take four A levels. More info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Cambridge prefers 3 sciences/maths. But your suggested subjects would be fine for all other medical schools.
As long as you have bio and chem it's good. Cambridge does require bio, chem and maths (or physics?) though

3 sciences or bio chem maths
To study medicine at uni, is it better to go to a sixth form rather than a college? Or does it not matter?
doesn't matter, as long as u do correct a levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending