The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stefanothebrano
Im not really a fan of maths which is why im planning to take psychology

If you're 'not really a fan of maths' then why are you also considering taking Computer Science!
Thank you! I was also considering doing Computer science instead of psychology as i'm quite interested in it. do you think that would be wise for medicine

I don't think so, only becase there are aspects of psychology that help with biology and vice versa so psychology would be better. But then again, computer scince would keep your options a bit more open if you ever wnna consider a non-science degree...
But personally? Do what you enjoy, because then you're guaranteed to do better in it.
Original post by mini.me
I don't think so, only becase there are aspects of psychology that help with biology and vice versa so psychology would be better. But then again, computer scince would keep your options a bit more open if you ever wnna consider a non-science degree...
But personally? Do what you enjoy, because then you're guaranteed to do better in it.

right ok, thank you
right ok, thank you

No problem! 😊
Original post by Estalrine
If you get good predictions and do well in your A-levels (3As or higher) in the subjects that you're doing, you can apply to Medicine with a Foundation Year courses. These are designed for people who have taken the wrong A-levels to do medicine and spend a year to bring you up to speed with everyone else on the main course at that university. These courses generally have minimum GCSE requirements (but not necessarily specific grades in science).

That said, you would have to consider why you did badly at GCSE trilogy science, because if you found that very difficult, then there's a decent chance that you would not be able to keep up with a medical course. If it was extenuating circumstances or poor learning habits, it would be a good idea to make sure you have everything in order by the time you apply.

If you want to do medicine or nursing, you should also probably start thinking about getting some work shadowing or volunteering in place now, as it can take a while to arrange and it's good to show long-term volunteering on your application.

Good luck!

Ahh thank you so so much for your reply!! I'll make sure to work hard and I'll see what the future holds for me thank youuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank-You for all your responses guys.
Original post by Ceryss:{
Biology chemistry and maths are preferred

With the possible exception of Cambridge, no it is not.

OP - your choices sound fine, go with what you enjoy and feel you'd do well in (obviously, biology and chemistry keep your options open the most for medicine). Leicester does actually count psychology as a science, though not sure how many/if any other universities do that.
Original post by Reality Check
If you're 'not really a fan of maths' then why are you also considering taking Computer Science!

because although i dislike maths, I'm quite good at it and therefore in my opinion my interest towards computer science shouldn't be affected by the maths involved.
Reply 88

No they are not (unless you are applying to Cambridge)
Original post by Forest.Pinecone
With the possible exception of Cambridge, no it is not.

OP - your choices sound fine, go with what you enjoy and feel you'd do well in (obviously, biology and chemistry keep your options open the most for medicine). Leicester does actually count psychology as a science, though not sure how many/if any other universities do that.

Right ok, in the psychology course is there a lot of science behind it or is it similar to philosophy?
Reply 90

That's literally not the case in any university.

Just because the majority of students take what they think they need (in this case maths, bio, chem), doesn't make it more preferable by any universitiy. There's no perfect combination like your'e suggesting, and as I said before, it does give you an advantage over any individual.
(edited 5 years ago)
Im planning on doing BTEC Teamwork and personal development and was wondering if it would help me get into med school.
No. Wouldn't bother, personally.
Reply 93
I am currently in year 11 applying for college and I wanted to know if biology, chemistry and sociology/psychology are accepted to take to do medicine. Its just I know that a lot of people take maths as their third option so I was wondering if I am lowering my chance at getting in by not doing maths. I would like to hear about people in uni/college with these courses applying for medicine.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/hospital-doctor

Have a good read of this. As far as I'm aware your choices should be fine but you should do some more research.
As long as you have biology and chemistry, your options are almost unlimited. However, there are a few med schools that prefer if you have at least maths or physics—but I wouldn’t exactly say you’re ‘lowering’ your chance. It’s a bit early, but if you have any particular universities in mind that you’d like to apply to next year, I’d recommend checking out their entry requirements to see if they specify any preferences.
Apart from that, good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by krissxkross
As long as you have biology and chemistry, your options are almost unlimited. However, there are a few med schools that prefer if you have at least maths or physics—but I wouldn’t exactly say you’re ‘lowering’ your chance. It’s a bit early, but if you have any particular universities in mind that you’d like to apply to next year, I’d recommend checking out their entry requirements to see if they specify any preferences.
Apart from that, good luck.

Ok thanks, do you do medicine?
Original post by dollme
Ok thanks, do you do medicine?

Applied this year to Cambridge, so I hope I will.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dollme
I am currently in year 11 applying for college and I wanted to know if biology, chemistry and sociology/psychology are accepted to take to do medicine. Its just I know that a lot of people take maths as their third option so I was wondering if I am lowering my chance at getting in by not doing maths. I would like to hear about people in uni/college with these courses applying for medicine.

Yes, that's fine. You can see all the entry requirements here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Reply 99
Original post by krissxkross
Applied this year to Cambridge, so I hope I will.

Wow Good luck! I was also hoping to get insight on sociology but since you have applied to cambridge I can assume for your third course you are doing maths/physics???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending