The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Questions

Hello,

At the moment, I've been predicted to achieve 3 A's at the end of Year 13, and went on to achieve two B grades and a C (2 marks off a B) with very little revision. Subjects I study are English Literature, History and Politics (why I stated this, I'll explain later in this post). Is it realistic to achieve an A* and 2 As at the end of Year 13?

As someone who wishes to apply for History and Modern Languages at the University of Cambridge, and intends to apply in 2020 (spending the time between now whilst I'm still in Year 13 and applying, to save up). Reason why I'm spending 2 years, rather than one, is because even with the student loan and bursary, my mum is in no financial position whatsoever to provide me with additional materials I need, since we are a very low income household.

For the History and Modern languages course, to study a language post A-level, you obviously needed to have studied it at A-level. However, it also says an A-level in a language, even if you're studying one ab initio, is preferable. I, unfortunately, don't have one, and have considered that between now and applying in 2020, would it be worth also getting my knowledge of German and Spanish (both of which I know at intermediate level at the moment) verified in the form of language certificates as evidence of language ability?

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
FLM3478
Reply 1
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

At the moment, I've been predicted to achieve 3 A's at the end of Year 13, and went on to achieve two B grades and a C (2 marks off a B) with very little revision. Subjects I study are English Literature, History and Politics (why I stated this, I'll explain later in this post). Is it realistic to achieve an A* and 2 As at the end of Year 13?

As someone who wishes to apply for History and Modern Languages at the University of Cambridge, and intends to apply in 2020 (spending the time between now whilst I'm still in Year 13 and applying, to save up). Reason why I'm spending 2 years, rather than one, is because even with the student loan and bursary, my mum is in no financial position whatsoever to provide me with additional materials I need, since we are a very low income household.

For the History and Modern languages course, to study a language post A-level, you obviously needed to have studied it at A-level. However, it also says an A-level in a language, even if you're studying one ab initio, is preferable. I, unfortunately, don't have one, and have considered that between now and applying in 2020, would it be worth also getting my knowledge of German and Spanish (both of which I know at intermediate level at the moment) verified in the form of language certificates as evidence of language ability?

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
FLM3478

And my GCSE profile is one that meets the recommended amount of A/A*s to achieve at GCSE.

Overall, do I stand somewhat of a chance of getting an offer?
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
FLM3478

If they want an a level in a language you have to have one, there’s no way around it. If you are already proficient in the language as you said see if you can find a tutor outside of school who can put you through the exams externally. Hope this helps and good luck with your application.
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
FLM3478

If it says 'preferable' then it's not required. If the time it would take for you to get the qualification would interfere with your current studies in any way at all then there's no need to bother with it. Mentioning your skill level in your personal statement should suffice. But if you have the spare money and time to get a qualification then it could definitely help your application slightly, and for Cambridge that might be what tips you over the edge. It really depends whether you think it's worth your time and money. However, that comes from my experience of studying East Asian languages where they're rarely offered at A Level and they're so different from European languages that having an A Level in one isn't much help.

As for getting your grades up, if you put the work in it is absolutely possible. I know someone who got Bs and Cs in their year 13 mocks and still managed to get into medicine by the time he took his summer exams. It's absolutely up to you to make the effort.
Original post by flm3478
I, unfortunately, don't have one, and have considered that between now and applying in 2020, would it be worth also getting my knowledge of German and Spanish (both of which I know at intermediate level at the moment) verified in the form of language certificates as evidence of language ability?

You're already intermediate level in both languages without having done A level? That's extremely impressive. You'll be as good as if not better than most students who will have done A level.

In that case, 1st year of the language classes at university will be a breeze for you as the level will be set at intermediate.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by flm3478
Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Yours,
FLM3478

With my offer for modern languages they want an A* in Spanish, I am more or less fluent and I am struggling with bumping my grades up so you will have to work really hard to get a decent grade in German or Spanish. Likewise (and obviously your teachers will have a better gauge on this than me) personally BBC is risky if you want A*A*A next year even if that’s what you got with little revision.

You seem to really want this and I wish you all the best, it’s possibly worth looking at the history course as a single honours and focusing on that instead of over complicating things with trying to learn a language too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending