The Student Room Group

Worth applying to Trinity as a state comprehensive student

Im currently in year 12 and am thinking of applying to do economics at Cambridge. I was pretty decided on Trinity as my college of choice but looking at the TSR pros and cons list of each college (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/student/cambridge-college-pros-and-cons), as well as doing a few quick google searches, I've found that Trinity has a reputation of being elitist school-wise and caring more about current attainment rather than potential (To the tune of wanting 5 A-Levels plus). When I visited on the open day I also heard this, but at that point I was a bit too starry-eyed to pay much mind to their comment haha.

I go to a state comprehensive school (Fairly middle of the pack in terms of quality) but my predicted grades are likely going to be in the range of A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* (In Econ, Comp Sci, Maths and Further Maths respectively). My main reasons for applying to Trinity are mostly the fact that they are the only college doing in-person interviews, as well as liking the college itself when I visited on the open day (The academic nature is also a big plus), but I'm wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot by applying to Trinity, and if it would be smarter to apply to another, potentially less elitist, college to better my chances of getting in. Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Side note - I'd appreciate alternate college recommendations if the general consensus is that I should avoid Trinity
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Throwaway1686
Im currently in year 12 and am thinking of applying to do economics at Cambridge. I was pretty decided on Trinity as my college of choice but looking at the TSR pros and cons list of each college (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/student/cambridge-college-pros-and-cons), as well as doing a few quick google searches, I've found that Trinity has a reputation of being elitist school-wise and caring more about current attainment rather than potential (To the tune of wanting 5 A-Levels plus). When I visited on the open day I also heard this, but at that point I was a bit too starry-eyed to pay much mind to their comment haha.

I go to a state comprehensive school (Fairly middle of the pack in terms of quality) but my predicted grades are likely going to be in the range of A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* (In Econ, Comp Sci, Maths and Further Maths respectively). My main reasons for applying to Trinity are mostly the fact that they are the only college doing in-person interviews, as well as liking the college itself when I visited on the open day (The academic nature is also a big plus), but I'm wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot by applying to Trinity, and if it would be smarter to apply to another, potentially less elitist, college to better my chances of getting in. Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Side note - I'd appreciate alternate college recommendations if the general consensus is that I should avoid Trinity

Learn to use better sources. Nowhere credible says Trinity wants 5 A levels plus. What it asks for and what students attain in the way of grades is easily googlable, it's on the uni website and gets put up on TSR several times a year.
Original post by threeportdrift
Learn to use better sources. Nowhere credible says Trinity wants 5 A levels plus. What it asks for and what students attain in the way of grades is easily googlable, it's on the uni website and gets put up on TSR several times a year.

I read on the Trinity College, Cambridge University website: "60% of offer holders had a minimum of A*A*A* or more." :frown:
Original post by thegeek888
I read on the Trinity College, Cambridge University website: "60% of offer holders had a minimum of A*A*A* or more." :frown:

And that's what you are predicted to get. And 40% don't get those grades.
Original post by Throwaway1686

Trinity College, Cambridge University, is elite and therefore has very high academic standards.

Most of the applicants have 4 or 5 A-Levels, that's true, but some get in with 3 A-Levels as well. :smile: lol

There are 16 places for Economics, the same as for Law. Also, there are just 4 or 5 applicants per place. If you're wanted by Cambridge University, then you could be made an offer from the "Winter Pool" :wink:

I don't think there is any other college at Cambridge University which combines, high academic standards, generous bursaries and grants, large number of other like minded students and studying the same subject as oneself. :biggrin: lol

Also, Trinity College, Cambridge University has an endowment of almost £2 billion?! :s-smilie: So they can afford to offer you a place and finance you too if required.

You could always apply to Peterhouse or Clare. :wink: lol

I am also a State School Comprehensive pupil, but a mature student. I am only taking the exams at a private college in London.

May I also recommend this eBook about admissions at Oxbridge: https://storage.googleapis.com/wp-static/oxbridgeapplications.com/2019/11/Tell-Me-About-A-Banana-e-Book.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Hey, I am also a state school student and wanting to apply to Law at trinity. I am glad someones asking these questions cause I have seen similar things online.
Reply 6
Trinity isn't deliberately elitist with schools. The colleges take the best applicants, who disproportionately happen to be from top independent schools. This is often because independent schools push their students harder to apply, give them more preparation with admissions tests and interviews, and then there is a resulting perception among state school applicants that the college is being elitist and full of students from private schools and that can put them off from applying in the first place.
That said, they do look at your grades in the context of the school you're at. A*A*A*A* from a middle-of-the-road state school is more impressive than if you were at Westminster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending