The Student Room Group

I'm considering quitting Pupillage. Has anyone done that before?

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am about 5 months into my pupillage and I am also seriously quitting.

I am struggling most with the culture of bullying from both barristers and judges that I have experienced and witnessed. I am really not sure I am cut out for dealing with it day in and day out. I am resilient, but I am already fed up with it and the fact one person like me isn't going to change things. I know there's talk by the BSB and others about dealing with bullying as a systemic issue, but in the same day I hear some judges and barristers profess that the bar is so friendly and that bullying doesn't take place! It's just not true.

Like others have posted, it's given me second thoughts about staying in the profession at all when I combine that with the intensity of the work load, the intense expectations, the stiffling hierarchies. I used to feel more confident about my skills, but since being on my feet prior to pupillage, I experienced bullying, one incident of which was horrendous. I know why I came to the law, but I am fast losing my love for it since starting pupillage. I worked in law for years prior to this but I was so focused on getting pupillage and just getting through whatever was happening at that stage, such as the stresses and pressures, I think I stupidly thought it would improve once I was in the profession.

I don't want to work most of my life away, talk with those on circuit about how exhausted I am as if it is a badge of honour and commiserate about the latest form of bad behaviour we've experienced or witnessed. It is so unhealthy and depressing. I also don't find the money as worthwhile enough to toil my life away in a system that is broken anyway and toxic to work in.

My question is, since I am considering leaving the law completely, does anyone have any thoughts about leaving before second six? I go through ups and downs practically every day, feeling positive and trying to keep myself on track to at least see the full pupillage through, but my thoughts keep meandering back to how hopeless it feels and how pointless to put myself through even more stress if this is just not for me.

This isn't an issue overall with members of my chambers (though sexism and bullying has been an issue with a couple of people) and my supervisor is lovely. I've also had really positive feedback for all work I have done, it's just more me feeling I am not cut out for all of this in the long run and wanting a different lifestyle for my future.

If there are any other thoughts that anyone can offer, that would also be appreciated.
Original post by Thatsthebarforme

I am struggling most with the culture of bullying from both barristers and judges that I have experienced and witnessed. I am really not sure I am cut out for dealing with it day in and day out. I am resilient, but I am already fed up with it and the fact one person like me isn't going to change things. I know there's talk by the BSB and others about dealing with bullying as a systemic issue, but in the same day I hear some judges and barristers profess that the bar is so friendly and that bullying doesn't take place! It's just not true.

Like others have posted, it's given me second thoughts about staying in the profession at all when I combine that with the intensity of the work load, the intense expectations, the stiffling hierarchies. I used to feel more confident about my skills, but since being on my feet prior to pupillage, I experienced bullying, one incident of which was horrendous. I know why I came to the law, but I am fast losing my love for it since starting pupillage. I worked in law for years prior to this but I was so focused on getting pupillage and just getting through whatever was happening at that stage, such as the stresses and pressures, I think I stupidly thought it would improve once I was in the profession.

I don't want to work most of my life away, talk with those on circuit about how exhausted I am as if it is a badge of honour and commiserate about the latest form of bad behaviour we've experienced or witnessed. It is so unhealthy and depressing. I also don't find the money as worthwhile enough to toil my life away in a system that is broken anyway and toxic to work in.

My question is, since I am considering leaving the law completely, does anyone have any thoughts about leaving before second six? I go through ups and downs practically every day, feeling positive and trying to keep myself on track to at least see the full pupillage through, but my thoughts keep meandering back to how hopeless it feels and how pointless to put myself through even more stress if this is just not for me.

This isn't an issue overall with members of my chambers (though sexism and bullying has been an issue with a couple of people) and my supervisor is lovely. I've also had really positive feedback for all work I have done, it's just more me feeling I am not cut out for all of this in the long run and wanting a different lifestyle for my future.

If there are any other thoughts that anyone can offer, that would also be appreciated.

You'll see that in the five years since this thread started I've spoken to several others in your position. Some stayed in the profession, others didn't. But I am more than happy to extend the same offer to you. If you would like to actually talk about this, reply here and I'll send you my number.
Original post by Thatsthebarforme

Hang in there and at least do a few weeks of your second six before making a decision if you can... I’m also only five months in and start on my feet next month. Feel free to PM me if it helps to chat to a fellow pupil
Original post by Pupillagewarrior
Hang in there and at least do a few weeks of your second six before making a decision if you can... I’m also only five months in and start on my feet next month. Feel free to PM me if it helps to chat to a fellow pupil

Thank you, I keep trying to keep myself on track to go to at least start second six and get on my feet. Some days are tougher than others talking myself through it.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
You'll see that in the five years since this thread started I've spoken to several others in your position. Some stayed in the profession, others didn't. But I am more than happy to extend the same offer to you. If you would like to actually talk about this, reply here and I'll send you my number.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending