The Student Room Group

When do I apply for pupillage's if I’m in 2nd year?

I’m starting 2nd year in 2 weeks. However, it says apply for a pupillage 18 months in advance, but isn’t there a bar training course before that and right after uni? So does it not start in September 2025. Or do you do the bar course at the same time as your pupillage but you need confirmation that you got accepted onto the BTC to continue with the pupillage.
Reply 1
Original post by student17!
I’m starting 2nd year in 2 weeks. However, it says apply for a pupillage 18 months in advance, but isn’t there a bar training course before that and right after uni? So does it not start in September 2025. Or do you do the bar course at the same time as your pupillage but you need confirmation that you got accepted onto the BTC to continue with the pupillage.

The bar course has two cycles starting in September and January of each academic year, lasting the academic year.

Some chambers will offer pupillage two years in advance, which means that the earliest point in which you can apply is third year. To apply in third year, you must be a law student (thus need not take a year to do the conversion course), and plan to start the bar course immediately after graduating.

The bar course is before pupillage. Each are (usually) a year long and are very different stages in the training process.

Hope this helps!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CJStevens
The bar course has two cycles starting in September and January of each academic year, lasting the academic year.

Some chambers will offer pupillage two years in advance, which means that the earliest point in which you can apply is third year. To apply in third year, you must be a law student (thus need not take a year to do the conversion course), and plan to start the bar course immediately after graduating.

The bar course is before pupillage. Each are (usually) a year long and are very different stages in the training process.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much! So apply in 3rd year and not 2nd, so when I finish the bar training course the year after, I start pupillage
Reply 3
Thank you very much! So apply in 3rd year and not 2nd, so when I finish the bar training course the year after, I start pupillage

In theory, yes. Practically though this is unlikely to be the case. I’m sure you know, but pupillage is notoriously difficult to obtain and it is almost unheard of for someone in third year to be successful in gaining one. It usually takes a good few cycles before candidates are accepted.
Reply 4
In theory, yes. Practically though this is unlikely to be the case. I’m sure you know, but pupillage is notoriously difficult to obtain and it is almost unheard of for someone in third year to be successful in gaining one. It usually takes a good few cycles before candidates are accepted.

Thank you! I recently got accepted for a mini-pupillage. I’m assuming that would increase my chances significantly? Since not everyone applies for it on time/difficult to get.
Reply 5
Thank you! I recently got accepted for a mini-pupillage. I’m assuming that would increase my chances significantly? Since not everyone applies for it on time/difficult to get.

I wouldn’t say so, no. Mini-pupillages are vital and it is often recommended that you do 3 in your chosen practise area before applying for pupillage. They will prove valuable in giving you a true insight into the career and day-to-day activities of a barrister, but they are expected by chambers. They are not, therefore, an ‘addition’, if you will.

For context, I am entering third year and am hoping to become a criminal barrister. Next week I have my 5th mini (and probably my last for some time…).

EDIT: do not let this detract from the difficulty in obtaining minis, though. That is an achievement in and of itself - well done for getting one so early on!
(edited 7 months ago)

As has already been said, it doesn't say anything for your chances at all. Whilst in recent years we have had candidates applying for pupillage with fewer mini pupillages due to difficulties obtaining them during the pandemic, generally speaking mini pupillages are an essential part of a pupillage application and virtually every candidate will have at least two or three, if not more. You are only going into second year so you are still very early on in this process, but if your intention is to undertake the Bar course with the aim of becoming a barrister you really do need read into that career path more so that you are better informed about what it entails and what you need to do in order to become a realistic candidate for pupillage.
Reply 7
I wouldn’t say so, no. Mini-pupillages are vital and it is often recommended that you do 3 in your chosen practise area before applying for pupillage. They will prove valuable in giving you a true insight into the career and day-to-day activities of a barrister, but they are expected by chambers. They are not, therefore, an ‘addition’, if you will.

For context, I am entering third year and am hoping to become a criminal barrister. Next week I have my 5th mini (and probably my last for some time…).

EDIT: do not let this detract from the difficulty in obtaining minis, though. That is an achievement in and of itself - well done for getting one so early on!

Thank you!!
Also be sure you want the bar. If you want to be a solicitor then earlier applications and doing vac schemes is wise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending