The Student Room Group

Law Commission Research Assistant 2024

Haven't seen a thread for this year's application round so thought I'd start one! What teams have people applied for? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Commercial Team application here, not yet any news and moj talnet says application is on hold.

Anyone with offers or updates?
Morning, yes invitation to interview today for Commercial and Common Law Team
Anything for PFT team?
Original post by Claudiab123
Anything for PFT team?
Haven't heard anything yet, application still on hold
Rejections for pft out:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by xoxogossipgirluk
Morning, yes invitation to interview today for Commercial and Common Law Team
Did you get an online or in person interview? I wonder what is the difference and why some people get invited online and others in person
Original post by SMDC
Did you get an online or in person interview? I wonder what is the difference and why some people get invited online and others in person
online but i was expecting in person. the difference might be team dependent ? did you get online or in person and for which team ?
Reply 8
online but i was expecting in person. the difference might be team dependent ? did you get online or in person and for which team ?
Yeah same, I got online for property, family and trust
Reply 9
I received an invitation for an online interview for PFT, with written test taking place sometime next week! eek
Also online interview for PFT! Good luck everyone :smile:
Does anyone know how long the Written Test is supposed to take? For instance, are you emailed the test at 9am and asked to email it back by 5pm? Do you have all day until midnight on your chosen date? The answer will heavily inform the date that I choose which is why I'm a bit confused about why there isn't much information on what the test entails beyond "which date would you like us to send it to you"?
Does anyone know how long the Written Test is supposed to take? For instance, are you emailed the test at 9am and asked to email it back by 5pm? Do you have all day until midnight on your chosen date? The answer will heavily inform the date that I choose which is why I'm a bit confused about why there isn't much information on what the test entails beyond "which date would you like us to send it to you"?
I'm also unsure about this - when I emailed selecting my date I received a reply from recruitment saying 'thank you for providing me with your preferred date for your written test' as opposed to preferred date for receiving the test so I assume it is a one day thing, but doesn't clarify whether it will be return by 5pm or midnight...
Reply 13

I emailed about this and was told we are given 6 hours to complete it. Perhaps it's timed from the moment you open a link to the question or something... there's very little detail available
For Public Law they’re emailing at 9:30 and you need to return it by 16:30, assume it’s the same for everyone?
How have everyone found the interviews?
How have everyone found the interviews?

I have mine later on today! Have you had yours yet? If not, good luck!
Original post by coco790
I have mine later on today! Have you had yours yet? If not, good luck!

thanks!! mine was ok - I'm sad that I stumbled a fair bit on the legal section even though I consider that to be an area of strength for me but oh well. Will start applying to other things...
thanks!! mine was ok - I'm sad that I stumbled a fair bit on the legal section even though I consider that to be an area of strength for me but oh well. Will start applying to other things...

Ah oh no ☹️ sorry you feel like it didn't go well, but you never know! their scoring system could be different to how you expect, and it seems that the most important things are the behaviours and the strengths. Were the questions quite complex? i'm trying to work out how much stuff i need to know for the legal section, as i've heard from past applicants that it was actually a surprisingly easy question, but i don't want to be caught out! There is alottt of information to take in from the paper.

Have some faith, even if you didn't perform as strong as you hoped in the legal section, the other sections may bring your overall grade up! 🙂
Original post by coco790
Ah oh no ☹️ sorry you feel like it didn't go well, but you never know! their scoring system could be different to how you expect, and it seems that the most important things are the behaviours and the strengths. Were the questions quite complex? i'm trying to work out how much stuff i need to know for the legal section, as i've heard from past applicants that it was actually a surprisingly easy question, but i don't want to be caught out! There is alottt of information to take in from the paper.
Have some faith, even if you didn't perform as strong as you hoped in the legal section, the other sections may bring your overall grade up! 🙂

Yes let's hope! I think the Behaviour and Strengths sections went well - room for improvement but good nonetheless. And yes, for me, the legal questions were easy which is what caused some confusion as I got very thrown off / trying to figure out if I missed something. This will depend on your team, but the question I was asked was based on the written test but only very loosely. My mistake was thinking that I needed to revisit the written test to answer it when I actually just needed to rely on my brain. So my advice is do not over-prepare and take the qs at face value even if they seem deceptively easy. But do re-read over your written test!

The main odd thing was I was asked if there's anything I would change about my written test and I said 'no'... ? as I genuinely thought I did well in the written test. Now I'm trying to figure out if they were just giving me an out because I did so badly, I hope they just ask everyone that question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending