The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen or Edinburgh?

I have offers from them both for medicine and I'm struggling to decide between them. It basically comes down to the course and the city/student life.

I much prefer the course structure at Aberdeen, but I feel like there is not much to do there. I know Edinburgh would have more stuff going on because its a bigger city, but im not sure if its worth choosing Edinburgh over Aberdeen just because of that.

Like the impression I get of Aberdeen is that its quite boring with nothing to do, is that what its really like?
Basically its that i'm worried the student life at Aberdeen is not good enough.

What do you think?

Is there still a lot to do there during free time? If you're studying there do you enjoy it?

+ on a side note i've heard its quite expensive in Aberdeen. Is that true?

Happy to hear everyone's opinions! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there!
I'm currently a second year at Aberdeen, but I grew up in Edinburgh and have a lot of friends there, so I think I have a pretty good idea of both choices 🙂
I definitely shared your worries before I came to Aberdeen, but there's a lot more going on than I imagined! Although the city itself may not be as culturally thriving as somewhere like Edinburgh, I have really enjoyed student life and benefited from the enthusiasm of other students who have run excellent events! I've found student life to be lively and really welcoming.
Overall, I think the course structure working for you is really important, and there's more going on in Aberdeen than you may first think. As far as the financial situation goes, I'm not sure exactly where Aberdeen ranks, but it'll definitely be cheaper than Edinburgh!
Hope this helps in any little way!
Original post by clover_91
I have offers from them both for medicine and I'm struggling to decide between them. It basically comes down to the course and the city/student life.

I much prefer the course structure at Aberdeen, but I feel like there is not much to do there. I know Edinburgh would have more stuff going on because its a bigger city, but im not sure if its worth choosing Edinburgh over Aberdeen just because of that.

Like the impression I get of Aberdeen is that its quite boring with nothing to do, is that what its really like?
Basically its that i'm worried the student life at Aberdeen is not good enough.

What do you think?

Is there still a lot to do there during free time? If you're studying there do you enjoy it?

+ on a side note i've heard its quite expensive in Aberdeen. Is that true?

Happy to hear everyone's opinions! :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I'm doing med at Aberdeen too, and the course is honestly amazing. When I was applying, my ideal scenario would be Aberdeen's course at Edinburgh,but I went with Aberdeen because of the course and also how I was treated at interview - Abdn just felt a lot more welcoming. I definitely made the right decision, it's a very hands-on course (unlike Ed), the University support is terrific and I think the student life is good enough!
Yes Aberdeen is one of the more expensive cities in Scotland but its probably on a par or cheaper than Edinburgh tbh.
Where are you from? And have you been in either city much?
Reply 3
Original post by lilacdolphin
I'm doing med at Aberdeen too, and the course is honestly amazing. When I was applying, my ideal scenario would be Aberdeen's course at Edinburgh,but I went with Aberdeen because of the course and also how I was treated at interview - Abdn just felt a lot more welcoming. I definitely made the right decision, it's a very hands-on course (unlike Ed), the University support is terrific and I think the student life is good enough!
Yes Aberdeen is one of the more expensive cities in Scotland but its probably on a par or cheaper than Edinburgh tbh.
Where are you from? And have you been in either city much?

Hi,

I'm from Glasgow, and I've not seen much of either city.

I agree about the course, and how welcoming the university feels. I feel more confident about firming Aberdeen now, thanks for taking the time to reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending