The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow

I'm choosing between my university offers for mechanical engineering. I would like to hear the students/past students experiences and opinions on attending uni of Glasgow.
Original post by TamTheTall
I'm choosing between my university offers for mechanical engineering. I would like to hear the students/past students experiences and opinions on attending uni of Glasgow.

Have you had chance to visit the university at all? :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes, but all the universities looked very good and had similar if not identical aspects. Therefore I would like to hear the experiences of students who have had the full experience.
(Original post by 04MR17)Have you had chance to visit the university at all? :smile:
Yes, but all the universities looked very good and had similar if not identical aspects. Therefore I would like to hear the experiences of students who have had the full experience.
(Original post by 04MR17)Have you had chance to visit the university at all? :smile:
Which universities are you comparing?

If you give us a bit more detail about your current thinking then I can be a bit more help to you. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Which universities are you comparing?

If you give us a bit more detail about your current thinking then I can be a bit more help to you. :smile:

It's a decision between University of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. But its probably between Glasgow and Edinburgh more than Aberdeen.
It's a decision between University of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. But its probably between Glasgow and Edinburgh more than Aberdeen.
Fab, next question - are the offer grades similar for Edinburgh as for Glasgow?
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
Fab, next question - are the offer grades similar for Edinburgh as for Glasgow?

Both unconditional offers
What is Glasgows plan to get its Mechanical Engineer degree reaccredited with iMechE? It was in the process of being reaccredited 3 years ago when I first looked at the course and the status hasn't changed in all that time.

I had unconditional offers for MEng at Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde - there really isn't much between them so I accepted Strathclyde last year as I just got a better feel from the place and I am still happy with my choice.

Ah sweet, I'm not an expert in Engineering stuff, so I will tag in @Smack who may be able to offer some advice here.
Original post by 04MR17
Ah sweet, I'm not an expert in Engineering stuff, so I will tag in @Smack who may be able to offer some advice here.

Thanks. I didn't attend any of the universities the OP has mentioned so can't provide specific student advice. And in choosing between them, that's probably what it'd come down to - how much you like the universities, the cities, the student experience - as Glasgow and Edinburgh are otherwise quite comparable.

Hey, I'm heading to Glasgow this year for mechanical engineering. On the open days the department seemed really great and we got to see the lab facilities and some up-and-coming research. One thing I'd point out is that although on the website it says they are still trying to get reaccreditation from the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, the head of the department assured us that they are accredited and this is an outdated mistake on the website from COVID. The uni as a whole seems really good, I spoke to a bunch of students from different clubs etc who all had really great things to say about the uni, area and social life. They've got some really great engineering societies and the location in the west end is really nice. I'd definitely recommend it over Edinburgh, as when I visited their campus the students weren't as friendly, the campus is very spread out and I just felt it was a very stuck-up atmosphere.
Hope this helps!

Hi, if you don’t mind me asking what were your grades in s5 and subject choices in s6. It would be a lot of help as I’m planning on applying for the same course at glasgow uni and an idea of how likely an offer is would help me a lot!
Original post by elisetheengineer
Hey, I'm heading to Glasgow this year for mechanical engineering. On the open days the department seemed really great and we got to see the lab facilities and some up-and-coming research. One thing I'd point out is that although on the website it says they are still trying to get reaccreditation from the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, the head of the department assured us that they are accredited and this is an outdated mistake on the website from COVID. The uni as a whole seems really good, I spoke to a bunch of students from different clubs etc who all had really great things to say about the uni, area and social life. They've got some really great engineering societies and the location in the west end is really nice. I'd definitely recommend it over Edinburgh, as when I visited their campus the students weren't as friendly, the campus is very spread out and I just felt it was a very stuck-up atmosphere.
Hope this helps!
Hi there! I'm starting the course this year, and I was looking for a comparison between the two unis. I'm assuming youve already started the course, how would you describe the teaching quality and resources? I've heard the facilities arent great there, but dk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending