The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Is Strathclyde, Stirling or uni of Glasgow better for Law?

Hi
I have already applied to universities and my first choice was Stirling at first but after some research I found out it doesn’t have a very high ranking and it seems Strathclyde had a higher ranking than Stirling, I didn’t apply to University of Glasgow as I wasn’t interested then but now I have taken an interest, I have already got an offer from both Stirling and Strathclyde as well as GCU but I was wondering which one might be best for Law and if I should try and apply to uni of Glasgow through clearing?
My predicted grades are AAB.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sssarah12
Hi
I have already applied to universities and my first choice was Stirling at first but after some research I found out it doesn’t have a very high ranking and it seems Strathclyde had a higher ranking than Stirling, I didn’t apply to University of Glasgow as I wasn’t interested then but now I have taken an interest, I have already got an offer from both Stirling and Strathclyde as well as GCU but I was wondering which one might be best for Law and if I should try and apply to uni of Glasgow through clearing?
Thanks.

Well Done! I think it is just down to personal preference but having 3 offers already is great. Just out of curiosity when did you apply through UCAS and what grades did you apply with. Currently waiting to hear back from Strathclyde for Law as it is my first choice.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Well Done! I think it is just down to personal preference but having 3 offers already is great. Just out of curiosity when did you apply through UCAS and what grades did you apply with. Currently waiting to hear back from Strathclyde for Law as it is my first choice.

Hello,
Thank you! And I applied about 3 weeks ago and my predicted grades were AAB and that’s Strathclydes entry requirement. but I have read a few comments from students in Scotland that have applied to strathclyde and they had really great grades from highers but somehow they got rejected from strathclyde, I think that’s because they want people from all around the UK and international students rather than only mostly accepting people from Scotland. What kind of law are u looking to do btw? Scots Law? And hopefully you’ll get an offer soon if you haven’t yet!
Hello,
Thank you! And I applied about 3 weeks ago and my predicted grades were AAB and that’s Strathclydes entry requirement. but I have read a few comments from students in Scotland that have applied to strathclyde and they had really great grades from highers but somehow they got rejected from strathclyde, I think that’s because they want people from all around the UK and international students rather than only mostly accepting people from Scotland. What kind of law are u looking to do btw? Scots Law? And hopefully you’ll get an offer soon if you haven’t yet!

I’m looking to study Scot’s law! Had no other offers yet but hoping to hear something back soon 🤞I’ve also heard Strathclyde give out lots of rejections. What we’re your 5th year results?
Reply 4
I’m looking to study Scot’s law! Had no other offers yet but hoping to hear something back soon 🤞I’ve also heard Strathclyde give out lots of rejections. What we’re your 5th year results?

Oh I am sorry to hear you haven’t had any other offers yet, hopefully you will soon! And yes I have heard Strathclyde rejects lots of people as well which is unfortunate really but I currently study in England in a sixth form not in Scotland so the education system is a bit different here so I haven’t done 5th year and so on. Hope that helps!
Oh I am sorry to hear you haven’t had any other offers yet, hopefully you will soon! And yes I have heard Strathclyde rejects lots of people as well which is unfortunate really but I currently study in England in a sixth form not in Scotland so the education system is a bit different here so I haven’t done 5th year and so on. Hope that helps!

Ahh right sorry I thought you went to school I’m Scotland. I live in Glasgow and it is a great city, with lots to do for students. I’m sure if you move up here for Uni you’ll have a great time! You can add my snap cammy_fin if you have any questions about Glasgow as a city.
Well done on your offers! Still waiting here 😆
Can't see it mentioned so sorry if it has been but you'd need to have sat the LNAT to be considered for Glasgow.

If you have, I think you'd have to decline your offers to potentially be left with nothing if what you wanted didn't come into clearing or you weren't accepted? If it was me I'd bite strathys hand off 🤣 well done again x
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by M2006
Glasgow is ranked higher in some of the university rankings, but strathclyde often is not far behind! It also depends on whats best fir you, Glasgow is less flexible in its modules than stirling is so that might be a factor to consider. An offer for Strathclyde is absolutely amazing though and if I were you, (provided you are happy with the overall feel of the university) I would just accept your Strath offer. You could deffo apply through clearing but it might be really stressful, especially having to a mad dash for accomodation and everything after the fact. Hope this helps x

Thank you! In all honesty I might end up just accepting Strathclyde considering it’s not a bad uni at all. You’ve been great help x
Reply 8
Original post by MollieMcKezie
Well done on your offers! Still waiting here 😆
Can't see it mentioned so sorry if it has been but you'd need to have sat the LNAT to be considered for Glasgow.

If you have, I think you'd have to decline your offers to potentially be left with nothing if what you wanted didn't come into clearing or you weren't accepted? If it was me I'd bite strathys hand off 🤣 well done again x

Thank you!! And have you heard back from Strathclyde yet? ( assuming you’ve applied there😭) and honestly I’ve thought about it and Strathclyde seems like the better option right now might just go ahead and accept the offer x
Hi
Thanks.

I know the former head of law at Strathclyde and he said one should only be applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Strathclyde.
Original post by Anonymous #2
I know the former head of law at Strathclyde and he said one should only be applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Strathclyde.

Those 4 unis + Dundee are considered the top 5 in Scotland for law.
Those 4 unis + Dundee are considered the top 5 in Scotland for law.

We live too close to Dundee, so never an option. Glasgow Aberdeen and Edinburgh were the only cities she was interested in.

Also with 5 As the advice was why would you "undersell" yourself going to anywhere else. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #2
We live too close to Dundee, so never an option. Glasgow Aberdeen and Edinburgh were the only cities she was interested in.

Also with 5 As the advice was why would you "undersell" yourself going to anywhere else. :smile:

Absolutely that makes sense. Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strath are the clear top 3. Aberdeen and Dundee are probably quite similar now (although Aberdeen is a RG uni, Dundee has definitely went up the ranking in recent years) - guess it’s just a preference of which city you prefer!
Absolutely that makes sense. Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strath are the clear top 3. Aberdeen and Dundee are probably quite similar now (although Aberdeen is a RG uni, Dundee has definitely went up the ranking in recent years) - guess it’s just a preference of which city you prefer!

Hi all, just wanted to jump in here as I assume the RG stands for Russel Group, which Aberdeen is not actually a part of. Do let us know if you have any questions about our law courses but otherwise all the best in your decision making!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi all, just wanted to jump in here as I assume the RG stands for Russel Group, which Aberdeen is not actually a part of. Do let us know if you have any questions about our law courses but otherwise all the best in your decision making!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Hello,
Quick question, would Aberdeen consider taking students in for a Law course with predicted of ABB? Is it possible?
Has everyone heard back from Strathclyde for law, still waiting !
Original post by Yesss183572
Has everyone heard back from Strathclyde for law, still waiting !

I’m still waiting for Strathclyde too! Hopefully we don’t have much longer to wait 🤞 what highers did you get last year?

I’m still waiting for Strathclyde too! Hopefully we don’t have much longer to wait 🤞 what highers did you get last year?

AAABB but my school is a target school so I think I get lowered entry requirements Wbu?
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hello,
Quick question, would Aberdeen consider taking students in for a Law course with predicted of ABB? Is it possible?

Hi, so you can have a look at our full range of law courses and their entry requirements here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/?q=law&view=detailed
We also have some specifics on Law entry requirements here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/find-a-degree.php#faq4

Unfortunately we aren't able to guarantee if your grades would gain you entry as we would need to review your application fully before we can say this, but if you feel you have entry requirements/predicted grades similar to what we are looking for then we would encourage you to apply. If you have any more questions feel free to give us a message!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Yesss183572
AAABB but my school is a target school so I think I get lowered entry requirements Wbu?

I got AAAAB last year but my school was recently removed from the target school list 🙃 hopefully we don’t have to wait much longer…

Quick Reply

Latest