The Student Room Group

Higher physics help

Can someone please explain how to do this question
260AAC76-90D2-4C61-96D5-62BA4950FBD8.jpg.jpeg
Reply 1
Use Fleming's left hand rule. The current is given by the direction of the moving proton.
I did that but I got into the page and the answer is downwards. What did i do wrong?
Original post by Sinnoh
Use Fleming's left hand rule. The current is given by the direction of the moving proton.

That confuses me as some textbooks have it as a left hand rule rule and others have it as a right hand rule :eek3:
Original post by Lil Impulse
That confuses me as some textbooks have it as a left hand rule rule and others have it as a right hand rule :eek3:

I usually do right hand for a negative charge and left for positive
Reply 5
Original post by Lil Impulse

The right hand rule is for generators.
Reply 6
Original post by Bananasplitxxx
I did that but I got into the page and the answer is downwards. What did i do wrong?

You got your fingers mixed up or misinterpreted the diagram. It should be downwards - your thumb represents the force, your first finger represents the magnetic field, your second finger represents the current. The proton is going into the page.

You should never get any two components being parallel.
(edited 5 years ago)
So using flemings left hand rule. Thumb is the force. First finger is magnetic field and second finger is current. The proton shows the direction of the current. You also know the direction of the magnetic field. So use your left hand and try to get the current going away from you while getting the magnetic field to the right. Hint: You may have to rotate your hand.
Original post by Sinnoh
You got your fingers mixed up. It should be downwards - your thumb represents the force, your first finger represents the magnetic field, your second finger represents the current.

You should never get any two components being parallel.

So the first finger goes right, the second goes up (is the second going up?) that leaves me with the thumb into the page
second fingers goes away from you.
So the first finger goes right, the second goes up (is the second going up?) that leaves me with the thumb into the page
Original post by Fullsend
second fingers goes away from you.

Isnt away up the page
ignore the page. Just get the second finger away from you while mantaining the first finger to the right. The arrow from the proton tells you that current is going away from you.
Isnt away up the page
I got the motion as downwards, as the magnetic field is to the right, meaning motion is upwards (thumb), we then learn the proton (direction of the current which is the middle finger) is travelling through the magnetic field, so our thumb is now downwards representing the initial motion. (Used Flemings left-hand rule).

A way to remember the left hand rule is:
thuMb - Motion
First Finger - direction of the Magnetic Field
seCond finger - direction of the current
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13

The second finger goes in to the page because that is the direction that the charge is moving, i.e. that is the direction of the current

Quick Reply

Latest