The Student Room Group

S6 Subject Choice

Hi, I'm currently in S5 and I'm thinking about what subjects to take next year. I want to do Advanced Higher Maths, Advanced Higher Physics, and Advanced Higher Mechanics. However, my parents don't like the idea of me doing Advanced Higher Mechanics, and want me to do Advanced Higher Chemistry or Advanced Higher Computing instead. They think that I would be limiting my options by taking Mechanics, and that I could struggle since I haven't done Mechanics as a subject before. They still believe this after telling them that Mechanics doesn't even exist as a subject before Advanced Higher, and that it progresses on from Higher Maths and Physics! I've also told them that any course at English unis that requires Advanced Higher Chemistry or Computing (I haven't found any course that requires Advanced Higher Computing, not even Computer Science!), I would still be able to do at a Scottish uni since they only require Highers and I have the required Highers, but they still think I would be limiting my options as there are only two Russell Group unis in Scotland! The main problem I have is that I would have to do two projects if I do Chemistry or Computing instead of Mechanics, which I think would be too much workload! Even one project at Advanced Higher is a lot of work, let alone two! I've looked at the project information for both subjects, and also examplars of projects from candidates, and they look like a lot of work! Other reasons I want to take Mechanics are that it overlaps with Maths and Physics, it would give me an advantage in terms of content and problem solving when I'm doing an Engineering or Physics course at uni, it would develop my problem solving skills, and it would help me with admission tests and interviews into top universities (e.g. Oxbridge).

Is it worth taking Advanced Higher Mechanics? How much workload is the project in Advanced Higher sciences and Computing? Anyone who is doing two or more projects, how are you finding the workload? If I do one project at Advanced Higher, would I be able to cope with the work at a top uni in the UK?
Original post by d_a_ugono
Hi, I'm currently in S5 and I'm thinking about what subjects to take next year. I want to do Advanced Higher Maths, Advanced Higher Physics, and Advanced Higher Mechanics. However, my parents don't like the idea of me doing Advanced Higher Mechanics, and want me to do Advanced Higher Chemistry or Advanced Higher Computing instead. They think that I would be limiting my options by taking Mechanics, and that I could struggle since I haven't done Mechanics as a subject before. They still believe this after telling them that Mechanics doesn't even exist as a subject before Advanced Higher, and that it progresses on from Higher Maths and Physics! I've also told them that any course at English unis that requires Advanced Higher Chemistry or Computing (I haven't found any course that requires Advanced Higher Computing, not even Computer Science!), I would still be able to do at a Scottish uni since they only require Highers and I have the required Highers, but they still think I would be limiting my options as there are only two Russell Group unis in Scotland! The main problem I have is that I would have to do two projects if I do Chemistry or Computing instead of Mechanics, which I think would be too much workload! Even one project at Advanced Higher is a lot of work, let alone two! I've looked at the project information for both subjects, and also examplars of projects from candidates, and they look like a lot of work! Other reasons I want to take Mechanics are that it overlaps with Maths and Physics, it would give me an advantage in terms of content and problem solving when I'm doing an Engineering or Physics course at uni, it would develop my problem solving skills, and it would help me with admission tests and interviews into top universities (e.g. Oxbridge).

Is it worth taking Advanced Higher Mechanics? How much workload is the project in Advanced Higher sciences and Computing? Anyone who is doing two or more projects, how are you finding the workload? If I do one project at Advanced Higher, would I be able to cope with the work at a top uni in the UK?

Ive not done advanced higher mechanics, but advanced higher computing is not a necessary subject to take. Infact most advanced highers don't provide too much when it comes to applying for degrees, usually its your highers. Id be very suprised if not taking advanced comp would affect you uni wise in any way. If you want to do mechanics id do it

AH mechanics is very usefull for engineering. its very problem solving based which strengthens your understand of physics and applied maths. I have heard the project for AH computing is an absolute pain

AH mechanics is very usefull for engineering. its very problem solving based which strengthens your understand of physics and applied maths. I have heard the project for AH computing is an absolute pain.

AH mechanics is very usefull for engineering if you are doing engineering pick it picking the others will be a waste of a qualifcation . its very problem solving based which strengthens your understand of physics and applied maths. I have heard the project for AH computing is an absolute pain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending