The Student Room Group

Maths ~ mechanics newtons law help

The question: A car of mass M pulls a trailer of mass m along a straight level road at constant speed. The resistance to motion on the car is 5000N and the resistance to motion on the trailer is 1000N.

I am asked to find the tension on the tow bar, am i right in saying that it is 0N as there is no acceleration with F=ma?

Thanks
Original post by Danielmss
The question: A car of mass M pulls a trailer of mass m along a straight level road at constant speed. The resistance to motion on the car is 5000N and the resistance to motion on the trailer is 1000N.

I am asked to find the tension on the tow bar, am i right in saying that it is 0N as there is no acceleration with F=ma?

Thanks

What force is pulling the trailer then?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What force is pulling the trailer then?

I was thinking that because it is in equalibrium the forces cancel to 0
Reply 3
I was thinking that because it is in equalibrium the forces cancel to 0

so it would be 1000 then?
Thanks

A note on F = ma.
The F on the left-hand side is the resultant force acting on the object or the total force(s) acting on the object.

I was thinking that because it is in equilibrium the forces cancel to 0

You are on the right path that the forces cancel out. Be careful about the use of equilibrium.

so it would be 1000 then?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest