The Student Room Group

Physics

Well it's a bit hard for me but, there was two questions on my homework saying that:
When the circuits connected correctly, the buzzer sounds, but the lamps does not light.
Time says,' This sis because electricity reaches the buzzer first, which uses up the electricity, so there is not enough left to light the lamp'

1. Describe how you would use the ammeter to show Time that he is wrong.

2. State and explain how your results would show Tim that he is wrong.

And i'm seriously not sure here, although i'm pretty good and Sciences but still, this question give me nuts, and yeah (please don't judge)
Reply 1
1) connect the ammeter in series with buzzer such that it's between the buzzer and the light and close the circuit. If there is no current then the ammeter reading will be close to 0A.

2) If the reading on the ammeter is such that the value >0A then that means that there is still current flowing in the circuit. The buzzer must have high resistance with respect to the bulb and so takes a large share of the terminal Pd from the battery, therefore, following V=W/Q more electric potential energy is used up by buzzer but given from the previous question if the current is >0A then that means not all electric potential energy is lost at the buzzer and a small amount of energy remain which is not sufficient to light the bulb. This point can be proved if a voltmeter is connected in parrel with the light if the voltage reading is >0V then this proves that there is still PD between the bulb and thus current but the magnitude of the current (following V=IR) is very low.
Reply 2
Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest