The Student Room Group

I want to do chemical engineering but I applied for chemistry on UCAS

Long story short:
I applied for chemistry and I’ve got all offers from my firms. I’m not even that passionate about chemistry but I chose it as a potential career because I had no idea what else to choose. I do like chemistry. I’m predicted all A*s in biology chemistry and maths and honestly, maths is my favourite out of the 3 subjects. It just clicks with me and I enjoy doing it and learning about it. I know that chemistry as a degree can be very mathematical, however, after researching, I think I’d be better suited for chemical engineering as it is more maths based and barely consists of any chemistry.

However, I don’t study physics. Is that going to be a massive problem?
The unis like Manchester don’t require physics as a subject. It says you must have maths alevel and either physics or chemistry.
Thought I’ve heard that chem eng has a lot of physics in it so how does that make sense if I only have GCSE physics knowledge?
Reply 1
I think most Uni's consider "Engineering' (even if ti s Chemistry) as a Physics route. But yes there are Uni gets you directly for the Chem Eng such as Loughborough University (requires AAB including Maths and at least one from Chemistry or Physics). So best is to start with the places you like to go. And they may even let you switch the course - Good luck!
Original post by DCHIL
I think most Uni's consider "Engineering' (even if ti s Chemistry) as a Physics route. But yes there are Uni gets you directly for the Chem Eng such as Loughborough University (requires AAB including Maths and at least one from Chemistry or Physics). So best is to start with the places you like to go. And they may even let you switch the course - Good luck!

Yeah because I was thinking to apply to Manchester for chem eng. But I was afraid cuz ik that chemEng has a lot of physics but I don’t do physics as an alevel??
Hi @ilovechemistry69,

Great to hear from you. I know that Loughborough has been mentioned above so I just wanted to give you a link to our Chemical Engineering BEng programme. You can see entry requirements to explore the subjects required and the individual modules students study on the course. I hoped this might help!

Lindsay
You should be fine for most universities with maths and chemistry.
Reply 5
maths and chemistry is enough for most unis! good luck🙏🏾🙏🏾
Maybe you want to look at Biochemical Engineering at UCL? It's AAA for maths and chemistry, which align with what you do
Original post by hiabsotd
maths and chemistry is enough for most unis! good luck🙏🏾🙏🏾

So will the physics aspect of chemeng be ok for me?
Original post by Smack
You should be fine for most universities with maths and chemistry.

Just a Bit worried with the physics aspect as I’ve heard it’s quite heavy with physics and I don’t take it as an alevel
Original post by FatalArcher
Maybe you want to look at Biochemical Engineering at UCL? It's AAA for maths and chemistry, which align with what you do

London costs are INSANE.
I was hoping to study at Manchester for chemical engineering.
Original post by ilovechemistry69
London costs are INSANE.

Fair enough 👍 I'm not knowledgeable about Manchester, I'm sure someone else is though
Reply 11

i am also doing chem eng in (hopefully) bath later this year! i do take physics a level however the entry requirements for that school is a*aa with maths and chemistry and another science (which you have). i mean there will be a lot of physics in the course but i’ve asked around and im sure that they start the course with the assumption that not everyone took a level physics, and start from scratch so everyone understands and is comfortable🤞if you’re worried if you will find it difficult don’t be afraid because you’ll be supported, and if you do have an interest in physics (even though you haven’t taken the a level) you will be okay!
Reply 12

London costs are INSANE.

great school + great city + great facilities!!
Reply 13
Original post by hiabsotd

i am also doing chem eng in (hopefully) bath later this year! i do take physics a level however the entry requirements for that school is a*aa with maths and chemistry and another science (which you have). i mean there will be a lot of physics in the course but i’ve asked around and im sure that they start the course with the assumption that not everyone took a level physics, and start from scratch so everyone understands and is comfortable🤞if you’re worried if you will find it difficult don’t be afraid because you’ll be supported, and if you do have an interest in physics (even though you haven’t taken the a level) you will be okay!

and this is for every chemeng course not just bath xx
Just a Bit worried with the physics aspect as I’ve heard it’s quite heavy with physics and I don’t take it as an alevel

Are you good at maths, and are you ok with studying physics based material? If the answer to both is yes you should be fine. University level engineering physics material is essentially applied maths.
Original post by Smack
Are you good at maths, and are you ok with studying physics based material? If the answer to both is yes you should be fine. University level engineering physics material is essentially applied maths.

Yess I’m good with maths. Physics based material I’m not too sure as I don’t know what it’ll be like at uni - as I don’t do it as an alevel.
If mechanics in maths counts, then yeah I like it
Reply 16
If A level physics isn't a requirement they'll teach you the physics you need in first year.

Quick Reply

Latest