The Student Room Group

Can I do engineering without chemistry in a levels

I am taking computer science , physics and maths in a levels so i want to know if chemistry is important to take as I don't want to be a chemical engineer,
Original post by ZerefXD
I am taking computer science , physics and maths in a levels so i want to know if chemistry is important to take as I don't want to be a chemical engineer,

Since you’re taking physics, I don’t think it really matters. Most universities, (if you’re thinking of going) will take Physics or Chemistry. A Level Physics is seen as harder and the foundation of Chemistry.
Original post by ZerefXD
Won't matter on terms of getting into university. A level of chemistry knowledge can be useful on industry, though.
Original post by ZerefXD
Further maths would be way more useful, chemistry basically doesn't matter.
Original post by depriveofsocial
Since you’re taking physics, I don’t think it really matters. Most universities, (if you’re thinking of going) will take Physics or Chemistry. A Level Physics is seen as harder and the foundation of Chemistry.
All of my friends that took chemistry and physics said that chemistry was harder

Also, physics isn’t really the foundation of chemistry; there are aspects of chemistry which are very much related to physics, but parts of it like organic or inorganic are very different to physics.
Original post by ZerefXD
No you don't need Chemistry A level for Engineering. You may meet some Chemistry content at uni but they'll teach you it.
Original post by ZerefXD
Hi @ZerefXD,

Thats a great selection of A levels! Most universities require maths & 1 or 2 sciences for engineering. Here at Lancaster University we require A level Mathematics and a Physical Science (for example, Physics, Chemistry, Electronics, Computer Science, Design & Technology or Further Mathematics). Chemistry is useful outside of chemical engineering, such as materials, but not having an A level in chemistry isn't necessarily a disadvantage.

Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest