The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
dbox
I could be wrong about that amine group thing though. And how many marks was that electrode potential question anyway? I reckon you should be able to get at least half marks if you talked about the Fe(III) ions being reduced/accepting electrons or whatever (I can't remember which way round it was on the paper).

No i remeber something about R groups acting as bases :frown: Should have looked more closely! That electrode thing is really bugging me! I got the NMR thing wrong as well then! I might as well just accept I have an E right now! I put propan 1 ol because of one of the peaks was a H enviroment not in the other (I can't remember what it was) Well I think I put propan 1 ol anyway? I am so unhappy right now
Reply 41
I thought that the paper overall was pretty good. I didn't manage the 5 mark calculation because I used up the space then realised I was heading in the wrong direction and just confused myself. If I was honest I think the question deserved a bigger area for working but maybe that's just me being simple...
The biology questions were great because I'm a biology student and there were only a few other equations that I had trouble with. I'm estimating... 70%?
Reply 42
anyone remember anymore more answers?

i remember a few:-
test for phenols - neutral iron (III) chloride ---> purple
oxidation state of iron - +3
extra info needed to analyse affects of temp - enthalpy change of reaction
name of the molecule - 1,5-diaminopentane
type of reaction - ligand exchange

no particular order! but thats all i remember at the moment
Reply 43
djdan1990
anyone remember anymore more answers?

i remember a few:-
test for phenols - neutral iron (III) chloride ---> purple
oxidation state of iron - +3
extra info needed to analyse affects of temp - enthalpy change of reaction
name of the molecule - 1,5-diaminopentane
type of reaction - ligand exchange

no particular order! but thats all i remember at the moment

you've got exactly the same as me! god thats such a relief!

The one everyone was debating at our school was whether the amino acid was alkaline, neutral or acidic. Some said neutral cos the charges cancelled each other out and some said alkaline as there was an extra amine group..

who knows.
Reply 44
okay ignore me, its already been mentioned :p:
Reply 45
i said neutral because it was a zwitterion but everyone seems to think its alkali....
anyone know the answer for sure?
Reply 46
Common sense dictates it is alkali.

I couldn't remember the rust stuff for sure, but I put down that the oxygen and water form 4 x OH- ions. Also got ~54% for the amount of Iron.
What did people put down for the very last question? I just blagged through three points.

Overall I felt it could have been a lot worse, but there were a few questions I wasn't sure on (hopefully I managed to hit enough key phrases in the chromatography one, and my diagrams were informative enough). If I remember anything more then I'll post again.
Reply 47
last question.... about catalysts??
i said it was a homogeneous catalyst and forms an intermediate
it oxidises to form Fe2+
Reply 48
djdan1990
last question.... about catalysts??
i said it was a homogeneous catalyst and forms an intermediate
it oxidises to form Fe2+

I thought it was a general question about Fe as a catalyst? I thought that it could be heterogeneous as well? For the ionic equation one about ligands, did people miss out the 6H20 as a product because its not an ion? Do you reckon it would be ok for that question about what else was needed to say whetehr the reaction is exothermic or enothermic? Or do you think you will have to be specific and say the enthalpy change? I wish I had never come on here my marks are seriously low! Oh and the manganese Q, was the colour change pink? Erm can't think of much else
For the last one i put,
Iron being a transition metal produces ions with variable oxidation states. The Fe ions interconvert in the redox reactions and remain unchanged. The Fe ion also lowers the activation enthalpy for the reaction, allowing an alternative, lower energy reaction pathway for the reaction.
I remember doing a very similar question in one of the past papers, might have been the spec paper. These were the three points on the mark scheme.
Reply 50
O I put that it acts as a heterogeneous catalyst providing a surface for molecules to be adsorbed. Would that get me 1 mark?
Reply 51
Why did peoepl get 54% my mates and I got 5.4% for the iron calculation!
Damn! I put neutral.
Eurgh! that 1st question about the calcium carbonate and the butanoic acid= ???

Which way did ppl draw the arrow for the way electrons move in that rust q- downwards or upwards? I did downwards

PET has perm.dipole, perm dipole right?
Reply 52
i drew the arrow upwards because the electrons move from the anodic area (the centre) which releases elctrons to the cathodic area which accepts electrons.
Hopefully everybody done alright
Reply 54
yeh i had an upwards arrow too.
Reply 55
i may be exaggerating because i had a shocking maths paper but this was seriously difficult i think the word day of exams iv had so far this year. I'm so depressed right now its seriously going to be a long agonizing wait for results and the worst thing is i have to galvanize myself back into action to do chem by design general studies and business.
Reply 56
djdan1990
yeh i had an upwards arrow too.

FINALLY A MARK!
Reply 57
For the CaCO3 question I put Butanoic acid + CaCO3 - - - -> CH3(CH2)2COO-Ca+ + HCO3??? I have absolutely no idea if thats right but I remember a question about it but it involved Na not Ca. Oh no I think I might have put Na instead of Ca! My life can't get any worse right now :frown:
Reply 58
j_c_rox
Why did peoepl get 54% my mates and I got 5.4% for the iron calculation!

cuz the solution was diluted 10 times smaller than the original... so u need to time it by 10 afta uv found the mass.

yay, most of my ans r similar to those in this thread.

how come the zwitterion q is not neutral???

both NH3+ n COO- are present...
Reply 59
is still think its neutral but people seem to disagree

Latest

Trending

Trending