The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Calv
Ca should be 2+...
but iv no idea how to balance the equation...

i put
2C3H7COOH + CaCO3 ---> 2C3H7COO- Ca2+ + CO2 + H2O

how do u balance the charge?

I put (no idea if it's right or not, but it balanced out):

2C3H7COOH + CaCO3 --> Ca(C3H7COOH)2 + CO2 + H2O

Seemed like a bit of an effort for 2 marks, though.

sarzbabe
I also wasn't sure about the clinical trials i think i put something stupid like 'make sure its not toxic' which surly they would check before testing on humans. nevermind eh.

Dreading 2854 though..

Ehh, I suppose it could be toxic in humans but not in animals (hopefully rarely, though). It did seem like there was a lot of possible marking points for that question though.
Reply 81
Calv

how come the zwitterion q is not neutral???

not sure if this is correct, but i said alkaline on the basis that there was an extra NH2 as part of the R group. It says in the revision guide to look out for things like that, and i think i had it so stuck in my head i went with it.
unless it was a ch2 and i misread (which is unlikely as 1)i find it unlikely there was a CH2 on the end of a chain, surely it'd be CH3 and 2)i was in such a panic i read everything about 8 times)
Reply 82
beccy.
not sure if this is correct, but i said alkaline on the basis that there was an extra NH2 as part of the R group. It says in the revision guide to look out for things like that, and i think i had it so stuck in my head i went with it.
unless it was a ch2 and i misread (which is unlikely as 1)i find it unlikely there was a CH2 on the end of a chain, surely it'd be CH3 and 2)i was in such a panic i read everything about 8 times)

this is scaring me. i thought i looked through it carefully and only saw one NH2 group.
Reply 83
beccy.

i remembered both NH3+ n COO- ions were present in that q... thats y i thought its in a neutral condition.

well, maybe i was wrong...lol

2849 is alright to me but 2854s annoying me!!!
Reply 84
there was definitely another NH2 group.. but i kind of didnt click and put neutral, goddamnit.
i was even sillier- i thought that the NH3+ group was the R group and didnt realise that it was part of the zwitterion and said that the NH3+ could donate a proton to water in solution and produce H30+ ion therefore its acidic. i didnt see the NH2 group ahh. im so silly :frown: how many marks was that question?
Reply 86
prob 2 marks...

1 mark for choosing whether its acidic, neutral or alkaline...
1 mark for ur explanation.
well thats 2 marks gone as my explantion was completley wrong! i bet the examiner will laugh really.. hopefully then s/he may be generous later on..
Reply 88
ha, i NEED the examiner to be generous if i have any chance of passing..
aww keep your hopes up im sure you did better than you think. im just not thinking about all the horrible mistakes i know i made, and am thinking about 2854 now.
Reply 90
hey anyone know the answer to the hydrogen peroxide question
Reply 91
fizz_999
hey anyone know the answer to the hydrogen peroxide question

which one was that??
Reply 92
the one about the order of reaction
Reply 93
First order, giving the units of K as s^-1
Reply 94
what concentration of peroxide did u use for finding the actual rate contant value, from the initial rate of reaction
Reply 95
fizz_999
what concentration of peroxide did u use for finding the actual rate contant value, from the initial rate of reaction

The peroxide concentration at t = 0 (9.00 moldm^-3, I think it was).
Reply 96
ha, i can't remember the paper anymore..
Reply 97
So is it 80% of the highest mark anyone got to get an A? Thank god for that.

Latest

Trending

Trending