The Student Room Group

HELP! Blood plasma question!

Hi,

I cant seem to work out the answer to this question! if anyone can help, i'll appreciate it!

The scientists also measured the mean rate of blood plasma into the kidneys.
The reusults the scientists obtained are below in table 2

GROUP Mean rate of flow of blood into the kidneys/cm3min-1
A (furosemide) - 380
B (cvt) - 342
C (placebo) -295

the mean rate of flow of blood plasma is 60% of the mean rate of blood flow into the kidneys.

how much greater is the flow of blood into the kidneys with furosemide than with group c over 4 hours of the investigate?

{1 mark}
So its literally just working out how many % A is higher than C right?
Original post by farjana3115
Hi,

I cant seem to work out the answer to this question! if anyone can help, i'll appreciate it!

The scientists also measured the mean rate of blood plasma into the kidneys.
The reusults the scientists obtained are below in table 2

GROUP Mean rate of flow of blood into the kidneys/cm3min-1
A (furosemide) - 380
B (cvt) - 342
C (placebo) -295

the mean rate of flow of blood plasma is 60% of the mean rate of blood flow into the kidneys.

how much greater is the flow of blood into the kidneys with furosemide than with group c over 4 hours of the investigate?

{1 mark}

This is two years late so you probs don't need the answer now but this is for anyone else wondering how to do the question. I did the question and luckily I got the right answer. Still don't understand why so much calculation for one mark....

But anywayyy

It says furosemide has 380 as its mean rate of blood plasma and the placebo (group C) has 295. But this if per minute. It asks for 4 hours so you calculate how many minutes are in 4 hours. 60 mins in 1 hour so 60 times 4 is 240. So 240 minutes in 4 hours. You then do 380 times 240 and you get 91200. 295 times 240 and get 70800. Divide both those numbers by 0.6. It's 0.6 because it says that blood plasma flow is 60% of the blood flow to kidney. So basically u have to work backwards. For furosemide you get 152000 and for placebo u get 118000. The difference is your answer. I got 34000cm^3.
The range for the answer in the mark scheme is 33840 - 34680cm^3.
I don't know how you can get other answers but I'm sure someone else may show how.
I hope this helps <3
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by WegettingA*
This is two years late so you probs don't need the answer now but this is for anyone else wondering how to do the question. I did the question and luckily I got the right answer. Still don't understand why so much calculation for one mark....

But anywayyy

It says furosemide has 380 as its mean rate of blood plasma and the placebo (group C) has 295. But this if per minute. It asks for 4 hours so you calculate how many minutes are in 4 hours. 60 mins in 1 hour so 60 times 4 is 240. So 240 minutes in 4 hours. You then do 380 times 240 and you get 91200. 295 times 240 and get 70800. Divide both those numbers by 0.6. It's 0.6 because it says that blood plasma flow is 60% of the blood flow to kidney. So basically u have to work backwards. For furosemide you get 152000 and for placebo u get 118000. The difference is your answer. I got 34000cm^3.
The range for the answer in the mark scheme is 33840 - 34680cm^3.
I don't know how you can get other answers but I'm sure someone else may show how.
I hope this helps <3

what a gem.
i dont understand? the question asks " how much greater" right? so shouldnt we be dividing them to get the answer? how is it the difference between numbers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending