The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was going to finish this question of but the fatty invigilator was like times up I was so pissed 🤣🤣 but never mind at least the 25 marker was nice
Original post by Vfdvf-%
I wrote this too! I’d say 2/3 marks. I didn’t mention a calibration curve, which probably would’ve been the third mark :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by KVJ
What did you guys get for the selection of patients one (who were all female and you couldn’t put their gender or general health)?

I wrote if they are pregnant. And I wrote if they are on any current medication. Dont know if they are right as you needed both points for the 1 mark
Reply 62
Can someone tell me the way the age of the cancer cell was worked out? Don't remember it and dunno what I wrote
Reply 63
Anyone remember how many marks the thicker medulla question was? 2 or 3?
how is it a competitive inhibitor it doesn't have totally the same shape, I said non-competitive inhibitor :frown:
Original post by Azeee
Anyone remember how many marks the thicker medulla question was? 2 or 3?

3 marx
im pretty sure it was a non-competitive inhibitor as it said something like follic acid binds to the DR and the other molecule would bind to the allosteric binding site of DR molecule changing its tertiary structure
Original post by hobicorn
You’d probably have to be more specific and say what kind of inhibitor as there are two types and mark schemes are usually specific with that
Reply 67
It doesn’t have to be totally the same shape, just similar enough. Also I’ve seen these questions in the past, non competitive inhibitor is also a valid answer so long as you explain why you think so (for competitive it’s easier as you just say they’re a similar shape)
Original post by Martinmegs
how is it a competitive inhibitor it doesn't have totally the same shape, I said non-competitive inhibitor :frown:
For the heart question I just wrote AV and ventricle. I didnt specify left as it was already pointing at the left side on the diagram so I thought I wouldnt need to. Would I lose the mark because of this ?
Me Too!!!! I'm so glad it wasn't only me, what did you write about for the DNA question?? (don't have to tell me if you prefer not too).
Original post by em.parr1
the real question is if bonding is the same as binding because I didn't do that essay on bonding just incase it was only one like hydrogen and ionic bonding
I did the same, totally forgot about calibration curves. I think possibly one mark of we are lucky. But probably zero :frown:
Original post by s171958
Hi for the question on cloudiness all I wrote was take sample from each river and measure absorbances using colorimter. How much would this be worth if anything
Was the question about the light about P values rather than standard deviation?
Original post by Lexib123
I did the same, totally forgot about calibration curves. I think possibly one mark of we are lucky. But probably zero :frown:

I don’t know if we’d need to mention calibration curves, isn’t that for working out concentration? But it just asked for a quantitative measurement so just a number which absorbance would be, not sure though haha
Original post by onlyangel7
I don’t know if we’d need to mention calibration curves, isn’t that for working out concentration? But it just asked for a quantitative measurement so just a number which absorbance would be, not sure though haha

Yeah I just said that the more the absorbance, the cloudier it is? Unless qualitative means concentration of the precipitate
Original post by Khushi.S
Yeah I just said that the more the absorbance, the cloudier it is? Unless qualitative means concentration of the precipitate

Yeah I said something like that too. Quantitative just means a number value so I don’t think it would have to be the concentration, the absorbance would give you a number that you could compare to other samples if you wanted to?
Reply 75
ffs, I wrote photometer not colourimeter
Original post by Martinmegs

competitive inhibitors have similar shapes, non-competitive inhibitors don’t
pretty sure it was competitive inhibition, it was about preventing the action of an enzyme which helps dna replication by producing nucletides or something, one methyl group doesnt really make the case for hypermethylation of the gene, youd have to say which gene anyway, and the structures of folic acid and trexall were exactly the same apart from a couple hydroxyl and methyl groups
Original post by Alifiahus
I think you’d have to be more specific, I don’t even think competitive inhibition would be accepted? (Unless this is an example of competitive inhibition I’m not sure) There was a methyl group (-CH3) on the diagram, so I wrote that the drug slows down cell division my methylation, the methyl group binds to the promoter region on the DNA molecule, which prevents RNA polymerase from binding, therefore preventing transcription
yeah you wouldnt have to do a calibration curve, but you would have to make sure the colorimeter is calibrated to a sample of denionised water before testing the river samples
Original post by onlyangel7
Yeah I said something like that too. Quantitative just means a number value so I don’t think it would have to be the concentration, the absorbance would give you a number that you could compare to other samples if you wanted to?
what was the actual answer of the tick box whether it was first or last but the writing??

Latest

Trending

Trending