The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tuya
Extended Project Qualification.
My school doesn't do the last bit - ie - the thing that makes it official which unis recognise.
So, it's just an internal thing which is aimed to form part of our PS, and give us experience of doing something related to our intended field of study. I did 5 AS levels, so I doubt I'll fall short of UCAS points.
But could someone please explain how UCAS points are considered by unis, especially Cambridge (or Oxford)?

I would strongly suggest the UCAS website! I myself was going to apply for Cambridge until i found out all they did was a natsci course :frown: oh well haha
But check the website it'll tell you all you need to know...
In fact;
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/ucas.html

There ya go...hope that helps lol :smile:
Original post by lucine.B
Extended project qualification.

I know its extended project qualification, i just didnt think to put it because my sixth form refer to it as 'EPQ' and 'extended project'. So i believed them to be the same thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3982
I would strongly suggest the UCAS website! I myself was going to apply for Cambridge until i found out all they did was a natsci course :frown: oh well haha
But check the website it'll tell you all you need to know...
In fact;
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/ucas.html

There ya go...hope that helps lol :smile:

Thanks a lot!

Original post by Kay(:
I know its extended project qualification, i just didnt think to put it because my sixth form refer to it as 'EPQ' and 'extended project'. So i believed them to be the same thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand. Cases like this are pretty rare I think...
Well short and to the point is what it needs to be!!!
Just a brief overview & info of your topic, should include what you're going to explore in the rest of your essay, that kind of stuff. The same thing you'd write in an exam. I'm sure yours is fine but show your full essay to your supervisor and they can help you improve it! :smile:

Ooh okay, thanks!

Im guessing youve done epq?
Reply 3984
hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me perfect my EPQ title a bit more.
I want to base it on the euthanasia of race horses as i know it is a very good argumentative topic and after reading few journals i feel rather passionate about it. However i don't know what to focus on exactly. I originally decided on doing it on euthanasia of race horses with navicular syndrome but have now changed it to the question: To what extent is the euthanasia of race horses acceptable? if someone could give me some ideas on how to alter the question more or write it in a way which sounds more interesting i would be very grateful.
Many Thanks
Original post by Kay(:
Ooh okay, thanks!

Im guessing youve done epq?

Np! :smile:
Well my first draft yes.
Original post by Kay(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh yeah makes sense.
Np! :smile:
Well my first draft yes.

How you finding it?
I havent even finished one draft yet, im about half way through.. im just worried im laying it out wrong. :frown:
Original post by Randy123
hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me perfect my EPQ title a bit more.
I want to base it on the euthanasia of race horses as i know it is a very good argumentative topic and after reading few journals i feel rather passionate about it. However i don't know what to focus on exactly. I originally decided on doing it on euthanasia of race horses with navicular syndrome but have now changed it to the question: To what extent is the euthanasia of race horses acceptable? if someone could give me some ideas on how to alter the question more or write it in a way which sounds more interesting i would be very grateful.
Many Thanks

Your question seems quite good! i love horses haha.
Anyways...all it needs to be is specific and your seems that way to help you use this:
Original post by Tuya
Thanks a lot!

I understand. Cases like this are pretty rare I think...

Anytime! :smile:
Original post by Kay(:
How you finding it?
I haven't even finished one draft yet, i'm about half way through.. i'm just worried i'm laying it out wrong. :frown:

Quite good! i enjoy it :biggrin: I love my topic so its all good esp. since I am exploring a strong passion/interest
Ahhh honestly dw about it! Just do what you feel, i'm sure you've written essays a thousand times over! Just write like you would in English and an exam. Thats what drafts are for, they're to mess up or whatever and you can improve it wherever improvement is needed :smile:
Just do what you can, that's all you can do.
I'm sure you're doing well :smile:
Reply 3991
Your question seems quite good! i love horses haha.
Anyways...all it needs to be is specific and your seems that way to help you use this:

thanks :smile: yeah ive looked at that document but it kinda confused me.
Do you think the title: To what extent is the euthanasia of injured race horses acceptable, works better?
Im trying to change the word acceptable into something bit more appropriate :/
Quite good! i enjoy it :biggrin: I love my topic so its all good esp. since I am exploring a strong passion/interest
Ahhh honestly dw about it! Just do what you feel, i'm sure you've written essays a thousand times over! Just write like you would in English and an exam. Thats what drafts are for, they're to mess up or whatever and you can improve it wherever improvement is needed :smile:
Just do what you can, that's all you can do.
I'm sure you're doing well :smile:

What you completing yours on?
Yeah thats true! But i only have the summer holidays to complete it, so im unsure if i will get another draft :frown:
Is there anybody here doing a history/politics based one? I'm doing 'To what extent did the Kennedy family reshape American Politics?' and I'm attempting to look for sources at the minute!
Original post by Tuya

But could someone please explain how UCAS points are considered by unis, especially Cambridge (or Oxford)?

Generally they won't really look at those. Cambridge look heavily at AS UMS points (you have to send them a questionnaire after you apply) if you're applying during your A2 year. Then, they will look at your grades rather than UCAS points that you get. It is about how well you do in the subjects rather than how many subjects you fo.

Well essentially your EPQ should be done in October so it can be checked and changes can be made by November then you do your presentation and all of it gets sent off :

Not necessarily. At my school we were advised to start preparing a bit in the summer holidays, then we did our main research until Christmas. Our final draft wasn't in until March, and then our presentation was in April after the Easter holidays.
Do you think the title: To what extent is the euthanasia of injured race horses acceptable, works better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Inevitable?

Yeah i think so...its pretty specific so in't very broad which is good. How about ethical??? That should work because i know in the past it caused some controversy but i haven;t been reading up lately (been otherwise preoccupied). yeah that should be good. :smile:

Original post by Kay(:
What you completing yours on?
Yeah that's true! But i only have the summer holidays to complete it, so i'm unsure if i will get another draft :frown:

Mine is based on the art and science of food presentation! I love cooking and well i'm a bit of a foodie so this is perfect for me hehe! But i'm also looking at the psychological aspect so my question is 'Why do we eat with our eyes first?' Whats yours???
Same!!! We all kind of have the same amount of time, i guess your just going to find a way. I mean i know that sometimes for Music i've had to hand in essays within a week and they have about 5000 words.

Original post by pak1994
Generally they won't really look at those. Cambridge look heavily at AS UMS points (you have to send them a questionnaire after you apply) if you're applying during your A2 year. Then, they will look at your grades rather than UCAS points that you get. It is about how well you do in the subjects rather than how many subjects you for.

Not necessarily. At my school we were advised to start preparing a bit in the summer holidays, then we did our main research until Christmas. Our final draft wasn't in until March, and then our presentation was in April after the Easter holidays.

Yeah that's why i said essentially...plus i meant you'd do all your work over the summer or most of your research so would then have finished your first draft. Of course it differs from school to school, but his set up seemed similar to mine so that's why i said he'd be finished by decemberish.
Lucky you, you guys got an entire year... kinda haha we couldn't start due to exams plus the time it has to be sent to the examiners is around Christmas time.
Original post by AlexanderStuart
Is there anybody here doing a history/politics based one? I'm doing 'To what extent did the Kennedy family reshape American Politics?' and I'm attempting to look for sources at the minute!

No i am not, but you should look for some dissertations or a thesis. Speak to some professors that specialize int his topic. or not so popular american politicians. try and contact then interview them that way you'll get some primary info so it'll be good. thats what i'm doing for mine.
Okay well the two things you can do are a 5000 word essay or a product with a 500 word report. You need to think of your question first before you can know what you need to do exactly!
My friend did a product what he did was he made a short film based on his interest in media. He was investigating the effect and processes film producers/animators go through in order to say create the magic you see on screen like in harry potter or show a hero abseiling a roof when in actual fact its a green screen. He made a mini film using all these techniques and demonstrating everything in a made up story using wand & spells like in harry potter and then he wrote a report which is what you need to do. He got a A*. Thats the kind of thing you need to do. I'm not so sure what they'd say about sketches i think you need to focus on something for example how did picasso create such definite lines/ shadowing in his pieces. You could then make a sketch book where you have decided on one portrait or picture and with that you draw in the style of picasso testing out different techniques he may have used to make his pieces look the way they did. My friend is doing the effect of global warming awareness on fashion. She is making 5 pieces. 1 with material they would've used about 5 years ago when not many people cared about global warming and one for each year after people were made more aware of global warming using the material that was most popular at the time.
Basically you need to investigate something and then think about your product and how you'll use it to make sense of your question and answer your question/statement.
I'm not sure how you can investigate a historical topic and make a sketchbook with it, you could look at clothing or the tools used or something. Maybe you could look at the drawings/ art from that time and how they managed it with so few resources and stuff like that. Not sure.

Hope this makes sense. :smile: You should talk to your supervisor though.

Hiya, thank you very much for that. After having a think and taking on board what you said I think since I want to do a history based question I will stick to a essay response! Simpler!!! At the minute we haven't been allocated supervisors, they told us to email our interests and it will be sorted when we get back after the summer!

Thanks again!!!! :smile:

Mine is based on the art and science of food presentation! I love cooking and well i'm a bit of a foodie so this is perfect for me hehe! But i'm also looking at the psychological aspect so my question is 'Why do we eat with our eyes first?' Whats yours???
Same!!! We all kind of have the same amount of time, i guess your just going to find a way. I mean i know that sometimes for Music i've had to hand in essays within a week and they have about 5000 words.

That sounds very interesting!
Mines about the theories and treatments of OCD, trying to do biological vs psychological! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending