The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Introverted moron
I'm in the same boat as you; I'm considering undertaking it, but the thought of standing in front of a whole classroom of people and lecturing them about something they probably couldn't give a toss about is rather scary. Though, of course, I actually have other 'reasons' for not wanting to take it. :p: That said, the EPQ does seem to resemble a certain aspect of the independent learning that underpins higher education and I do kind of feel that presentation skills are something we're going to have to develop at uni anyway (whether we like it or not), so this could be useful preparation (or not :p:). If you plan it out and try and think of possible questions that you could be asked before you do the presentation, then you could think of how to answer it in advance. If any unexpected questions do pop up that you don't know the answer to, then you could always make something up on the spot or spout some rubbish which is so unconvincing that it's laughable. Then people will laugh, your presentation will end on a high note and they will remember what a good presentation it was (or so the story goes). :wink:

If you don't want to go ahead with it, then there are always other ways of making your personal statement look good; extra-curriculars obviously help to enhance it, but you should play to your strengths. If you haven't got that many ECs, then no matter, but what should come through is your enthusiasm and passion for the subject you're applying for (which might perhaps stem from interest in your current studies or maybe reading around the subject), and the confidence in your own ability to study for that degree. Personally, I think a personal statement is more about how you say something rather than what you say.

EPQ is really good for building independence and confidence as you are literally chucked in the deep end, because you don't get any help, like you do in mainstream subjects, you literally have to do everything by yourself. It does prepare you for uni as you build on presentation, research, essay writing skills. And you get to do new things, like for example, for research you can make a questionnaire and then approach complete strangers and ask them questions, which is really good because you're acquiring new confidence and gaining new skills.

Issue about presentation, tbh you don't have to present in front of a large audience, you choose the people you want in your presentation. For mine early on this year, I had my tutor and the EPQ lecturer and this one other guy who was waiting to present after me, and it went well.

It's a good thing to do, but if you're doing this so unis accept you, it's seen as an additional thing alongside your a levels and most universities when offering you a place don't necessarily look at the EPQ in a lot of detail.

:biggrin:!
zee757
EPQ is really good for building independence and confidence as you are literally chucked in the deep end, because you don't get any help, like you do in mainstream subjects, you literally have to do everything by yourself. It does prepare you for uni as you build on presentation, research, essay writing skills. And you get to do new things, like for example, for research you can make a questionnaire and then approach complete strangers and ask them questions, which is really good because you're acquiring new confidence and gaining new skills.

Issue about presentation, tbh you don't have to present in front of a large audience, you choose the people you want in your presentation. For mine early on this year, I had my tutor and the EPQ lecturer and this one other guy who was waiting to present after me, and it went well.

It's a good thing to do, but if you're doing this so unis accept you, it's seen as an additional thing alongside your a levels and most universities when offering you a place don't necessarily look at the EPQ in a lot of detail.

:biggrin:!

Thanks for your reassurance.
I'm off to continue working on my EPQ
Reply 1182
alissasantiago
So do Universities actually care about the EPQ?

Tbh and in all honesty they might look it and be like 'oh cool' but when it comes to determining if they are going to give you an offer or not they couldn't care less about this lol as its all about a levels or ewquivalents :smile: do it anyway :biggrin: its brilliant and can provide you the perfect opportunity to do something that you want to do Instead of some stupid curriculum lol
Reply 1183
zee757
Tbh and in all honesty they might look it and be like 'oh cool' but when it comes to determining if they are going to give you an offer or not they couldn't care less about this lol as its all about a levels or ewquivalents :smile: do it anyway :biggrin: its brilliant and can provide you the perfect opportunity to do something that you want to do Instead of some stupid curriculum lol

But I'm only doing it because I'm only doing two...What can I do?!
Reply 1184
alissasantiago
But I'm only doing it because I'm only doing two...What can I do?!

Important thing is if you are planning on going to uni , see if unis actually accept this or not like is it acceptable? I know somewhere like brunel uni is cool with epq..
Reply 1185
Mr M
Not really. Sorry!

Don't worry, I have now found out from my teacher.
Reply 1186
Introverted moron
I'm in the same boat as you; I'm considering undertaking it, but the thought of standing in front of a whole classroom of people and lecturing them about something they probably couldn't give a toss about is rather scary. Though, of course, I actually have other 'reasons' for not wanting to take it. :p: That said, the EPQ does seem to resemble a certain aspect of the independent learning that underpins higher education and I do kind of feel that presentation skills are something we're going to have to develop at uni anyway (whether we like it or not), so this could be useful preparation (or not :p:). If you plan it out and try and think of possible questions that you could be asked before you do the presentation, then you could think of how to answer it in advance. If any unexpected questions do pop up that you don't know the answer to, then you could always make something up on the spot or spout some rubbish which is so unconvincing that it's laughable. Then people will laugh, your presentation will end on a high note and they will remember what a good presentation it was (or so the story goes). :wink:

If you don't want to go ahead with it, then there are always other ways of making your personal statement look good; extra-curriculars obviously help to enhance it, but you should play to your strengths. If you haven't got that many ECs, then no matter, but what should come through is your enthusiasm and passion for the subject you're applying for (which might perhaps stem from interest in your current studies or maybe reading around the subject), and the confidence in your own ability to study for that degree. Personally, I think a personal statement is more about how you say something rather than what you say.

Thanks for the advice :smile: The EPQ definitely is good preparation for uni, so I think that I'll go ahead and do it (I've already written up the report anyway, so it'll be quite wasted if I decide not to go ahead and do the presentation). And I agree with what you said about the personal statement - I have made sure that my enthusiasm for psychology shows and have mentioned some extra reading on there too. :smile: I think I worry too much... everything will probably turn out fine. :yep:
Jade2009
Thanks for the advice :smile: The EPQ definitely is good preparation for uni, so I think that I'll go ahead and do it (I've already written up the report anyway, so it'll be quite wasted if I decide not to go ahead and do the presentation). And I agree with what you said about the personal statement - I have made sure that my enthusiasm for psychology shows and have mentioned some extra reading on there too. :smile: I think I worry too much... everything will probably turn out fine. :yep:

It will be fine. :yep:

The EPQ is definitely good preparation, but it's not just the planning and execution of the presentation that's putting me off undertaking it, it's also the sheer amount of effort and time that has to go into organising the whole project- from planning your essay, gathering the relevant resources, researching it, assimilating the information and integrating it all to fit the structure and purpose of your essay.....it's a lot of work.....and well, I'm lazy and prone to apathy. :p:

You've done the report already (all 5000 words of it)?! :eek: Well, the presentation is very little effort in comparison with that! You've already climbed Everest and all you have to do now is stick your flag triumphantly down. :yes:
Hi, I am starting an EPQ pretty soon, in the future I want to do a degree in anatomy/ cell biology/ biochemistry (I haven't decided yet)

Can someone recommend me a title or an a current area of interest and research?

I am doing A levels in Chemistry, Biology, Geography, General studies :s-smilie: and psychology.

Thank You.
Reply 1189
Introverted moron
It will be fine. :yep:

The EPQ is definitely good preparation, but it's not just the planning and execution of the presentation that's putting me off undertaking it, it's also the sheer amount of effort and time that has to go into organising the whole project- from planning your essay, gathering the relevant resources, researching it, assimilating the information and integrating it all to fit the structure and purpose of your essay.....it's a lot of work.....and well, I'm lazy and prone to apathy. :p:

You've done the report already (all 5000 words of it)?! :eek: Well, the presentation is very little effort in comparison with that! You've already climbed Everest and all you have to do now is stick your flag triumphantly down. :yes:

Yeah, I have done the report but it's not completely finished yet as changes need to be made (it was like a rough draft). It seems quite a challenge before you get started, but I found that it didn't seem so bad once I got into the flow of it because of my interest in the topic and motivation just to get it over with.
JordanUK
Hi, I am starting an EPQ pretty soon, in the future I want to do a degree in anatomy/ cell biology/ biochemistry (I haven't decided yet)

Can someone recommend me a title or an a current area of interest and research?

I am doing A levels in Chemistry, Biology, Geography, General studies :s-smilie: and psychology.

Thank You.

I'm afraid only you would know where your interest and passion lie. You've got quite a broad bioscience interest there thus its really easy to search for. I am thinking you could write about the effectiveness of cancer treatment at the moment if that is something you'd like to do because it ties every aspect of your interest: cancer cells, how they invade other cells (cell biology) - developed through a mutation in DNA (biochemistry) then genes - this can affect the whole body gradually (anatomy), you can talk about how they are treated and assess their effectiveness.

I recommend you read current science and health news and look for something that is currently being developed eg treatment for cystic fibrosis etc then formulating a hypothesis whether this will be effective in the future, looking at the extent of the current situation. Consider economic, social, politcal etc issues... there's loads you can do!

Good luck!
I was wondering whether anyone could give me some A*/A tips for my EPQ?
Like the volume of research needed, activity log content, presentation layout etc.

Thanks ^^ Any other tips would be really helpful! :smile:
Reply 1192
Activity log?
LeChat
Activity log?

Yeah, basically where you write down every single thing you do and how what you're doing helps you.
I'm wondering how many activity log entries I'm meant to do and how in depth I'm actually meant to go.
Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this.

This year, for the first time, my Sixth Form is offering an opportunity to do an Extended Project, in addition to our 4 normal AS's.

However - there are only 15 places, and about double that number of applicants. Each applicant has to write a paragraph explaining why they want to take the EP. The tutors who select students will be taking the paragraphs, GCSE grades and potential into consideration when they make their decision.

I have no idea what to write. I've seen a couple of people's paragraphs, and they sound like they are up their own arses - I do not want to be like that!

I'd like to do the EP on a historical topic, possible the rise and fall of Rome.

Any ideas on what I should write/how I should structure it?

+ rep for good answers.

If you sound like you know what you're talking you'll get it. Just list everything you plan to do, and the name of resources, DONT just say 'books' list specific books and websites. Why only 15 places? in my college anyone who wants to do it can :s-smilie:
yellowmeringue
Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this.

This year, for the first time, my Sixth Form is offering an opportunity to do an Extended Project, in addition to our 4 normal AS's.

However - there are only 15 places, and about double that number of applicants. Each applicant has to write a paragraph explaining why they want to take the EP. The tutors who select students will be taking the paragraphs, GCSE grades and potential into consideration when they make their decision.

I have no idea what to write. I've seen a couple of people's paragraphs, and they sound like they are up their own arses - I do not want to be like that!

I'd like to do the EP on a historical topic, possible the rise and fall of Rome.

Any ideas on what I should write/how I should structure it?

+ rep for good answers.

You don't have to sound like you're up your own arse, just make sure you sound interested in the subject you think you want to do it on :smile: Tell them what got you interested in Rome in the first place, even if it was from watching a movie! Say why you want to look into the subject in more depth, maybe give some information you already know so it shows your dedication. Write about your love for History in general :smile: You should be fine as long as you make sure you sound genuine. Good luck! :biggrin:
Junaid16
If you sound like you know what you're talking you'll get it. Just list everything you plan to do, and the name of resources, DONT just say 'books' list specific books and websites. Why only 15 places? in my college anyone who wants to do it can :s-smilie:

Basically, they want to give us classes on writing and research skills on thursdays after school and they can't cope with a class bigger than that.

It sucks, there are loads of really intelligent people at my Sixth Form - I'm screwed.
yellowmeringue
Basically, they want to give us classes on writing and research skills on thursdays after school and they can't cope with a class bigger than that.

It sucks, there are loads of really intelligent people at my Sixth Form - I'm screwed.

I doubt they'll decide purely on grades, and anyway you probably did quite well. It'll come down to who has the best proposal, so show that you will be comitted and turn up to every session.

Like Silverdoe said, passion for your topic is important, say that you're considering a history degree, and then they'll really know you're serious:yep:
mellie220
I was wondering whether anyone could give me some A*/A tips for my EPQ?
Like the volume of research needed, activity log content, presentation layout etc.

Thanks ^^ Any other tips would be really helpful! :smile:

Hello tips for A*/A

FOCUS on your Intro, Activity Log, Literature Review, Evaluation and Conclusion those parts of your dissertation are where most of the marks are awarded.

Just to point out, you have to basically RECORD EVERYTHING you've done in your project in your ACTIVITY LOG.

EVALUATED and ASSESSED the sources reliability and usefulness in the Literature review.

Of course spelling, punctuation, grammar etc has to be perfect.

Evaluation of the OVERALL work and be sensitive and honest about it.

I wouldnt focus much on the discussion section TBH.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending