The Student Room Group
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

Orlando Village

I'm a student hoping to return to UoB in September to study an MA course, and I was flabbergasted to see that a new letting agency has taken over their halls of residence and has now hiked the rent up to £99 per week, from the previous £80! I've seen private accommodation go for cheaper than that, some of which includes an en suite bathroom, whereas everything at Orlando is communal.

How on earth is this justified? I stayed at Orlando previously and there's no way I would say it's worth £99; paint peeling off walls, black mold, silverfish in the kitchen etc. It's downright ridiculous. There's no way I can afford to stay there any more and I've already been unable to find private accommodation as I don't have a guarantor.
Reply 1
Hi,
You are spot on, look elsewhere. Better still complain to the University, and say you will not study in Bolton.
They should have kept it in house.
It is not worth you investing that kind of money, bolton Uni is still the bottom of the league table for graduate earnings. and other league tables, do not believe their "no 1 in Gr Manchester" publicity.
Also, if you have past connections with Bolton, you will notice immediately how it is far more depressed and an awful place to live.
I know many town centres are suffering, but Bolton's downhill progress is worse than most. and it is not over.
You will see hoardings promising all kinds of "developments" but they will not solve anything, it is too late.

BigMelz.

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a student hoping to return to UoB in September to study an MA course, and I was flabbergasted to see that a new letting agency has taken over their halls of residence and has now hiked the rent up to £99 per week, from the previous £80! I've seen private accommodation go for cheaper than that, some of which includes an en suite bathroom, whereas everything at Orlando is communal.

How on earth is this justified? I stayed at Orlando previously and there's no way I would say it's worth £99; paint peeling off walls, black mold, silverfish in the kitchen etc. It's downright ridiculous. There's no way I can afford to stay there any more and I've already been unable to find private accommodation as I don't have a guarantor.
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Reply 2
Original post by BigMelz
Hi,
You are spot on, look elsewhere. Better still complain to the University, and say you will not study in Bolton.
They should have kept it in house.
It is not worth you investing that kind of money, bolton Uni is still the bottom of the league table for graduate earnings. and other league tables, do not believe their "no 1 in Gr Manchester" publicity.
Also, if you have past connections with Bolton, you will notice immediately how it is far more depressed and an awful place to live.
I know many town centres are suffering, but Bolton's downhill progress is worse than most. and it is not over.
You will see hoardings promising all kinds of "developments" but they will not solve anything, it is too late.

BigMelz.

Thanks. I received an email back from Orlando and apparently they're no longer owned by the university, hence the price rise.
Reply 3
Eurgh, just realised I already mentioned that in the original post, lol.
Original post by Anonymous

I went private 2 mins away from Bolton Uni in a secure block of flats opposite Bolton Market. I believe the landlord has another flat above me , 2 bed share £320.00 pp a month fully furnished just requires proof of enrollment and reference no admin fees etc. If you can find another person its well worth it no noise, howling students banging doors and all that BS. I think he advertised it last on pads for student website. .
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending