The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you send your kids to a private school?

Poll

Would you send your kids to a private school?

Linking in with the other thread, would you personally send your kids to a private school if you had the money? i can honestly say that even if i became the richest person in the world, i never would. I hate the idea that just because someones parents earn more money then that child should recieve a 'better' standard of education. Also, I think it's important to mix with people from different backgrounds and different social classes (a concept I also hate). If your just mixing with rich, upper class people (I'm not saying ALL private school children are, but come on its the majority), then u don't get to experience the rest of society and meet different people. As important as academic education is, in my opinion it's more important to be well-rounded and hav a good 'education' of life. Also, is private education actually worth the money??? I, along wiv many of my friends at uni, went to a comprehensive state school and are on the same course at the same uni as students who went to private schools. Anyone who thinks they can change my opinion go ahead, I'm open-minded.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would prefer home tutoring if I was really mega rich.
yes.. after looking back at my school i certainly would

actually id send them to a grammar/private.. but it depends on the school and the state of comprehensives in the local area

A good education in life is important but the majority of it boils down to hard grades. Thats why, primary = state, secondary/sixth form = grammar/private
no such a waste of money, you can get a good education without paying for it
I wouldn't unless all the state schools in the area were dire or my son/daughter, or unless I thought my children would really under achieve unless they had the extra support of a private school. I have no probem with people who choose to send their children to private schools, but I wouldn't do so unless I thought it was particularly necessary.
nope i would never send my children to private school, i myself was given the choice, but decided to stay at my comprehensive state school :biggrin: you get to mix with all sorts there and become alot more tolerant of people imo
Reply 6
Probably not.
Reply 7
No, from my experience I was never happy at a private school. I'm not saying they're all spoilt but most of the girls were and my parent's struggled to pay the fees so I don't really fancy going through that.
Besides, my brother went to a really good state school and got better GCSE's than I did. I think if you're clever, you're clever. You'll do well wherever if you really want to.
From the people that I know who go to private schools, they are a bit out of touch with reality, they get what they want and things are done for them too much.

I want my kids to have a normal upbringing if that's possible (with me as a dad that prob won't happen :biggrin:)
I'd like to say to know as it goes against all my own principles but i think I probably might if it gave them the best start in life.
I would not - but not as a matter of "principle" because I am pro-private schooling.

I just really don't believe they are actually any better than state schools. So why spend money?
If I had kids and; I could afford it and; the local state was awful, I would.

However, education starts at home.
Seeing as how most parents scramble to get there children into the best school academically, I don't see why I would be any different. I'd probably like to actually go look round local schools and get an idea of what they're like before sending a kid to them, but I don't see why I wouldn't send my kid to a public school if I had the money. I am quite tight though, so perhaps I would just be greedy and keep it for myself.
Reply 13
Sometimes a state school can't provide for academically gifted students, because they don't have the time to devote to them. Personally I went to the local comprehensive, but I know someone who started off at their local school, then got shifted two years ahead because it wasn't challenging them at all, and the school suggested he apply for a scholarship to a private school as they couldn't teach him and he would just get bullied. Whatever your opinion on the 'public schooled kid' stereotype, it's unfair to judge everyone as the same.
pollystyrene07
i can honestly say that even if i became the richest person in the world, i never would. I hate the idea that just because someones parents earn more money then that child should recieve a 'better' standard of education.

There are plenty of people that cannot afford to buy nice accommodation or expensive food, too. Does that mean that, because they can't afford it, you shouldn't give yourself and your children a better standard of living?
Reply 15
Having experienced both state and private education, if I had the money, I would.
pollystyrene07
Linking in with the other thread, would you personally send your kids to a private school if you had the money? i can honestly say that even if i became the richest person in the world, i never would. I hate the idea that just because someones parents earn more money then that child should recieve a 'better' standard of education. Also, I think it's important to mix with people from different backgrounds and different social classes (a concept I also hate). If your just mixing with rich, upper class people (I'm not saying ALL private school children are, but come on its the majority), then u don't get to experience the rest of society and meet different people. As important as academic education is, in my opinion it's more important to be well-rounded and hav a good 'education' of life. Also, is private education actually worth the money??? I, along wiv many of my friends at uni, went to a comprehensive state school and are on the same course at the same uni as students who went to private schools. Anyone who thinks they can change my opinion go ahead, I'm open-minded.

I completely agree. Using "wiv" though... you might get a bit ripped apart for that one :wink: lol
But yeah. I agree with what you've said here, and take pretty much the same standpoint.
I spoke to some private school girls at Uni last year, and my conversation with one of them consisted of:
Her: "So what grades did you get? Mummy and daddy paid for my private tuition in the end and I got AAB, hah. How about you? You went to... state school, didn't you?"
Me: "Ahh, well done. Yeah I did. I got AAA."
Her: *twiddles hair and skulks off*

lol. I'm not saying they're *all* like that, some girls/ guys from private school are lovely. But that literally was my conversation with that girl.

But yeah. Wouldn't send my child to a private school. Would go for a well-performing state school. :smile:
Kitsch
Sometimes a state school can't provide for academically gifted students, because they don't have the time to devote to them. Personally I went to the local comprehensive, but I know someone who started off at their local school, then got shifted two years ahead because it wasn't challenging them at all, and the school suggested he apply for a scholarship to a private school as they couldn't teach him and he would just get bullied. Whatever your opinion on the 'public schooled kid' stereotype, it's unfair to judge everyone as the same.

other thing with being academically good is you'll end up becoming complacent and wasting your talents because youre so bored and a lot of people around you are struggling to get to grips with basic work. When you're put in an enviroment with very smart people you want to keep up/beat them so that doesn't happen (for example in a grammar/private school) (personal experience)

also the private school sterotype is stupid. i have friends going to private schools and theyre on EMA. they havent changed 1 bit in 5 years.
Reply 18
It depends. I dislike the private school system and the advantage it offers kids just because their parents have money, but at the same time I imagine that as a mother my child would come first. So if the local state schools were awful and I had the money, I probably would send my kids to private. I'd try to keep them in touch with reality though.
Depends if i had the money, and what the state schools were like in the area. if the state schools were crap and i could afford private school, i would.

Latest

Trending

Trending