The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you send your kids to a private school?

Scroll to see replies

Mr. Orange
From the people that I know who go to private schools, they are a bit out of touch with reality, they get what they want and things are done for them too much.

I want my kids to have a normal upbringing if that's possible (with me as a dad that prob won't happen :biggrin:)

You talking about having kids is cute. but only because i know you. :p:
If the schools were anything like the ones here, I would. :p: Or a grammar school :smile:
PAH!
I bet you will end up changing your mind when you realise they will be paying for your retirement home :wink:

Sure, there are some good state schools... but seriously, the education on average is better in private schools. The teachers are better, and the environment is better.

I don't want kids anyway, but if I lived near a good state school I would not waste the money. If it was a hole with terrible average grades, then off to private school they go!

Having not actually attend a private school yourself, you are very foolish to say about the types of people who go there.
Yes, there are rahs (but then state schools have more chavs if you are going to stereotype everyone), but there are also lots of nice people. Lots of people need scholoarships to go here, and anyway rich does not = stuck up.
Good bloke
There are plenty of people that cannot afford to buy nice accommodation or expensive food, too. Does that mean that, because they can't afford it, you shouldn't give yourself and your children a better standard of living?

I think the argument is that private school isn't necessarily a better standard of living for several reasons (might not get to mix with people from as many different backgrounds, not necessarily better education, etc.).
malleablegrace
I think the argument is that state school isn't necessarily a better standard of living for several reasons (might not get to mix with people from as many different backgrounds, not necessarily better education, etc.).

You needn't send your children to school anyway malleablegrace, you can teach them. :wink:

BTB
Reply 25
You just have to do what's BEST for your children.
My parents could have sent me to state school but the only state schools that I was in the catchment area for were absolutely horrible places where the students beat up the teachers?!??!! I knew that I'd never.... survive there, let alone succeed.
So my parents used their money the way they saw fit and sent me to a private school where I had an absolutely brilliant time, made loads of friends from different backgrounds and have come out of it having loved my time at school which is more than I can say for most people I know.

So, in conclusion, I'd rather send my kids to a state school but if the state schools available to them at the time just didn't suit them or their needs or their interests, then I'm not going to feel guilty about choosing to spend my money on my child's education.
I agree with the above poster.

I went to high school in a really good area. The state funded school was absolutely amazing and there was no need to go to a private school.

If I was in a good financial position in the future and the schools in my area were really poor in quality, I would definitely go the private school route.
* Catrin
nope i would never send my children to private school, i myself was given the choice, but decided to stay at my comprehensive state school :biggrin: you get to mix with all sorts there and become alot more tolerant of people imo

That is quite narrow minded. If you thought about it, you would realise that private schools have more real foreign students. Germany, France, Japan, Hong Kong, Poland... I have met so many and learnt lots about their cultures and languages :smile:
Also there is a wide range of people from different backgrounds. From the city/countryside, rich/poor etc
No. You don't need to pay for a good education.

I know plenty of people who have demonstrated that..
Good bloke
There are plenty of people that cannot afford to buy nice accommodation or expensive food, too. Does that mean that, because they can't afford it, you shouldn't give yourself and your children a better standard of living?

that's a completely different issue. obviously you're gonna want whats best for your child but that doesn't mean you have to get into a load of debt by doing your weekly food shop at marks & spencers (soz that was the poshest food shop i could think of lol) or only buying organic food. education is different. i personally believe that it's in a child's best interests to receive a state education for the reasons i listed in my original post.
Yes.
I wouldn't. I want my kids to be tough and 'ard. I want them not to be generally surrounded by successful people who generally lack common sense or are spoil (not all of course). I want them to be surrounded by some ****ed up kids just to see how some people waste their life away and there's always some successful kids at public schools.

The public school I went to had a mixture of both and was a very good school.
Lulu*et*Moi

care to elaborate?
The_Goose
You talking about having kids is cute. but only because i know you. :p:

I want kids! :teeth:

But yeah, at one private school the girls got all their resistant materials coursework done for them. Well, I guessed that they had coz the craftsmanship was of a professional carpenter's standard! That must purely have been coz the private school wanted to get better grades to make them look good on the league table to get kids to go to them to get money
Absolutely. If the local State schools were poor, then what possible harm is there?
Reply 35
I'd like my kids (if I have any) to have the chance to go to a grammar school. I did, and it was perfect for me, because I'm such a geek XD I think having grammart/comprehensive schools means that different schools are able to cater for the different strengths of their pupils... Having said that, if my child wasn't doing well / being pushed enough / being pushed too much / not getting enough attention at whatever school they were at, I'd do whatever I could to make sure they were at a school where they'd be able to do their best.

A private school wouldn't be my first choice, though. Face it, you're not going to get such a broad life experience in a school where all the pupils (or the vast majority) have to pay to get in - you're just not going to meet the same range of people.
stolenstars
That is quite narrow minded. If you thought about it, you would realise that private schools have more real foreign students. Germany, France, Japan, Hong Kong, Poland... I have met so many and learnt lots about their cultures and languages :smile:
Also there is a wide range of people from different backgrounds. From the city/countryside, rich/poor etc

again though these 'foreign' students are likely to be from quite affluent, privilleged families in order to be able to afford to send their kids to a private school. there's a lot more diversity in state schools.
pollystyrene07
again though these 'foreign' students are likely to be from quite affluent, privilleged families in order to be able to afford to send their kids to a private school. there's a lot more diversity in state schools.

but is that diversity and life experience actually what matters if they get **** grades?
My school was rubbish (private) so it would depend on how bad the local school was and how rich I was.
Lulu*et*Moi

100% agreed :smile:

If I lived in a dire area with horrendous state schools, then it'd be private school if I could afford it.

But otherwise, see above.

Latest

Trending

Trending