The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you send your kids to a private school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If I had the money and I thought that it would benefit them then yes without a doubt. Education is important and i'd like to make sure that my children have the best standard of education that I can afford to give them. If there was a state school that performed equally as well...maybe i'd send them there instead. I think the feel of the school is also important. If my child hated the environment I couldn't bare to send them there...
I'd send them to a state school because I'm personally glad I went to one myself. Money issues aside, private schools are just too sheltered from the outside world, with their strange traditions and rules. The fact that there's a Facebook group called "My head of school can grow a beard, smoke a pipe and keep a goat" says it all, really.
trance addict
but is that diversity and life experience actually what matters if they get **** grades?

turning it round, if they went to a private school and achieved good grades but at the same time never meet a working class person the whole time they were at school and graduated knowing nothing about 'real' life, would that not be even more damaging?
obviously, i would want my kids to work hard and and get good grades as well but i don't see why sending them to a state school would jeopardize that.
Reply 43
pollystyrene07
If your just mixing with rich, upper class people (I'm not saying ALL private school children are, but come on its the majority),

I wouldn't say most private school people were rich or upper class. The majority (in my experience anyway) are middle class and well off enough to send their children to private schools. I also think that it's more the area you live in that makes a school's population more diverse than the type of school (I used to live in London, I was basically the only white kid in the year in my school, which was private btw)

Anyway, I think this whole "I would *never ever ever ever ever EVER* send my children to private school thing" is silly, if you live in a very bad area sending your children to the local comp could be the worse thing you ever do for them. Surely as a parent you would want the best for your children, so yes; you want them to mix with different types of people and be well rounded (two things which you can actually do at private school) and you want them to have a good education.

In any case even if you still think that private schools don't produce well rounded individuals I don't see why it actually matters so much. School is for education, you learn the "education of life" from actually living your life, not sitting in a classroom, whether you're at a state or a private school.
pollystyrene07
turning it round, if they went to a private school and achieved good grades but at the same time never meet a working class person the whole time they were at school and graduated knowing nothing about 'real' life, would that not be even more damaging?
obviously, i would want my kids to work hard and and get good grades as well but i don't see why sending them to a state school would jeopardize that.

it doesnt happen though, people think grammar/private schools are all full of rich snobs but there is always a divide there, thats why primary for the life experience yet secondary for the grades since ultimately grades are what determine whether youre a success or a failure in life
Lemons
I wouldn't say most private school people were rich or upper class. The majority (in my experience anyway) are middle class and well off enough to send their children to private schools. I also think that it's more the area you live in that makes a school's population more diverse than the type of school (I used to live in London, I was basically the only white kid in the year in my school, which was private btw)

Anyway, I think this whole "I would *never ever ever ever ever EVER* send my children to private school thing" is silly, if you live in a very bad area sending your children to the local comp could be the worse thing you ever do for them. Surely as a parent you would want the best for your children, so yes; you want them to mix with different types of people and be well rounded (two things which you can actually do at private school) and you want them to have a good education.

In any case even if you still think that private schools don't produce well rounded individuals I don't see why it actually matters so much. School is for education, you learn the "education of life" from actually living your life, not sitting in a classroom, whether you're at a state or a private school.

i havent seen a truer post so far. rep for you
Reply 46
Yes, I went to a private school myself, my brothers didn't. I wouldn't want him/her to suffer like they did. State schools, are not the place for bright kids. They don't get the chances kids in a private school would. If I look at the people I knew in primary school, many of them very bright and intelligent kids; most of them are now hopeless drug ridden fools (I'm talking about 85% here). Sure most of them will do ok, but they aren't Oxbridge material put it that way, most didn't even pass their GCSEs.

Secondary school can destroy kids, I wouldn't pay for private primary school however.

EDIT: Private schools aren't full of rich snobs by the way, just parents that CARE about their childs education. My father earns under 25k per year, my mother less than 5k, hardenly rich. He prioritised my well being over some of his happiness. Something I see as incredibly generous, and will always be greatful to him for. Infact, the majority of the people at my school weren't rich snobs. They were working class & middle class.
I would send my kids to the best school in the area, if that happens to be private then so be it. I would prefer to spend the money each year to give them a good start.
My friend went to private school from 2 years old to 18 years old and she is studying medicine at Imperial. I honestly believe she would not be there now if she attended the state school.
RightSaidJames
I'd send them to a state school because I'm personally glad I went to one myself. Money issues aside, private schools are just too sheltered from the outside world, with their strange traditions and rules. The fact that there's a Facebook group called "My head of school can grow a beard, smoke a pipe and keep a goat" says it all, really.

That's simply not true, just because an institution's privately run that doesn't make it 'sheltered from the outside world', and at my private school there's no strange traditions and rules at all. All that facebook group really proves is that you're stereotyping.
Reply 49
I don't see why everyone is saying that private schools make you out of touch with reality and give you a warped view on the world. I went to a private school; not a full-blown public boarding school, mind, just an independent girls' school. And I'm certainly not out of touch with reality, nor were most of my classmates.

Sure, there were a couple of little bastards who thought having a bit more money than others made them great. But chances are, they'd have thought that no matter what school they went to.

If the state schools in my area were great, or there happened to be a good grammar school nearby which my children got into, then a state education would be fine. If the above scenario wasn't happening, and I had enough money, why on earth would I deny my children a good education at a private school?
princess_sue
I would send my kids to the best school in the area, if that happens to be private then so be it. I would prefer to spend the money each year to give them a good start.
My friend went to private school from 2 years old to 18 years old and she is studying medicine at Imperial. I honestly believe she would not be there now if she attended the state school.

its possible to get to places like that its just a lot harder
missygeorgia
That's simply not true, just because an institution's privately run that doesn't make it 'sheltered from the outside world', and at my private school there's no strange traditions and rules at all. All that facebook group really proves is that you're stereotyping.

Well, to be fair, that stereotype mainly applies to boarding schools on the M4 corridor and the South East, more than anything. So, let me rephrase my point; I wouldn't send my kids to the kind of school that is more "public school" in nature, for previously stated reasons.
I shall be putting mine down for Harrow and Fettes at birth
I'm surprised nobody in this thread has yet mentioned the thought of planning where you live based on the quality of state schools? When I'm getting toward the age at which I have kids of school age, I hope I'll have been thinking very carefully about whether the area I live in is suitable for quite some time. I would much rather send my kids to a state school, if it wasn't going to completey ruin their chances.
Reply 54
so you're saying that even if you had the money, you would send your child to a school where you knew they wouldn't get as good an education?
shakerbaby
so you're saying that even if you had the money, you would send your child to a school where you knew they wouldn't get as good an education?

I'm saying that I'd send them to a school where they'd have a decent education and could get just as good grades if they put the work in.
featheredblack
if there was one thing i could ever wish to have donme, would been to go to private school. I also plan to send my children to private schools to help them achieve their potential

youre being greedy.
why send them to private schoiol ?
state schools are good enuf.
soggylettuce
youre being greedy.
why send them to private schoiol ?
state schools are good enuf.

coming from a state school i wouldnt agree

the only real schools that can beat the privates are the state' grammar schools.. if i was to send my children to one it would be a grammar
if bog comprehensives were good enuf for us, then it must be gooog enouf for the kids. why should they get airs and become toffish ?
trance addict
coming from a state school i wouldnt agree

the only real schools that can beat the privates are the state' grammar schools.. if i was to send my children to one it would be a grammar

why do they deserve a grammar schol ?
i think comprehesnive are good enuf for everyone in the uk.

Latest

Trending

Trending