The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you send your kids to a private school?

Scroll to see replies

In all honesty, I think private schools are a bit of a Marmite thing, hence debating it is pointless.
I'd have to say no. I can undestand the extreme situations people are painting, but at the end of the day it's not all that bad at comps. Besides, as a nation we shouldn't adopt this approach where if the state system is bad an individual says 'let's just find the quick fix for our kids' and **** the rest. This just makes the gap in quality between state and private even bigger and neglects those from poorer backgrounds. I said I wouldn't get into a debate, but leave it at this: genuine talent comes through in any situation (i.e. a smart kid will get good grades in the state system and counter bullying themselves/be exposed to real life, rather than being wrapped in cotton wool) , privately educated mediocrity will get to the same point in life directly after school, but then found out for their deficiencies later on.
soggylettuce
if bog comprehensives were good enuf for us, then it must be gooog enouf for the kids. why should they get airs and become toffish ?

mine wasnt good enough.. its ****ing ****

they arent all toffs at private schools though, massive overgeneralisation. youve always got idiots wherever you go in life, but in my opinion toffs are a lot better than all these gangsta types in state schools.
Reply 63
Nope they either turn out relatively normal or completely ********d up (especially if they board). I wouldn't want to take that chance.
Given the choice between being a chav/gangsta or a toff, I'd pick the former any day.
Reply 65
No, I'd send them to a good enough state school but I would be active in ensuring they recieve adequate contact time (with teachers that actually show up to lessons :rolleyes: ), and make sure I teach them from a young age to work hard and put effort in. I'd probably help them go over stuff, may aswell use my newly learned self-teaching skills somehow.
RightSaidJames
Given the choice between being a chav/gangsta or a toff, I'd pick the former any day.

why ?
Reply 67
I think I would miss the chavs tbh. It just wouldn't be quite the same without them!
No I wouldnt. It seems awfully middle class to me and I wouldnt wanna see my child turn into a stereotypical rich kid. There are perfectly good state schools and the idea that lots of money is the ideal route to a perfect education is kinda nauseating. I dunno why I really have this opinion, maybe because I'm from a very working class background and I consider private education to be somewhat elitist.
Personally i've been at private schools all my life, apart from years 5-6 when I went to a state school, i have nothing against state schools, i just feel that private schools can offer stuff that state schools can't. The private boarding school I went to, had a lake, wood and amazing grounds. I learnt how to sail, kayak, canoe, camp, play hockey, rounders, netball, tennis, rock climb, joined the navy ccf etc. And I know that if i went to a state school i would never have been exposed to for example, sailing. I feel that state schools mainly focus academically, whilst from my experience, the private schools i've been to offer a more 'all round' education. There' more to life than predicted grades and university places.
Perhaps, if I really did have the money, and there were no decent comprehensives nearby.
Reply 71
The mentality that some people have - sending kids to private schools because the state schools are horrendous - is a ridiculous reason for private schooling. Should we not be asking WHY these schools aren't up to standard? Should we not pressuring the government to provide ADEQUATE resources for state schools?

But we're not. Because people can see another way out that will benefit them personally - public schooling. They've got money, and they've solved the problem for themselves. Sod the rest of us, eh?

You may have guessed, I am completely and totally against public schooling.
trance addict
why ?

The lack of arrogance, mostly. And I quite like the less extreme chavs, really.
Antonia87
No I wouldnt. It seems awfully middle class to me and I wouldnt wanna see my child turn into a stereotypical rich kid. There are perfectly good state schools and the idea that lots of money is the ideal route to a perfect education is kinda nauseating. I dunno why I really have this opinion, maybe because I'm from a very working class background and I consider private education to be somewhat elitist.

the thing is if youre from a working class background yourself, the school wont change the kid at all.
Reply 74
Wow there're epic amounts of ignorance flying around this thread, it's hilarious.
Reply 75
missmaclean
Personally i've been at private schools all my life, apart from years 5-6 when I went to a state school, i have nothing against state schools, i just feel that private schools can offer stuff that state schools can't. The private boarding school I went to, had a lake, wood and amazing grounds. I learnt how to sail, kayak, canoe, camp, play hockey, rounders, netball, tennis, rock climb, joined the navy ccf etc. And I know that if i went to a state school i would never have been exposed to for example, sailing. I feel that state schools mainly focus academically, whilst from my experience, the private schools i've been to offer a more 'all round' education. There' more to life than predicted grades and university places.

You make good points that kind of thing does sound quite fun. However would you not think it would be a bit odd to make the decision to have children and then ship them off to boarding school for the best part of their childhood. It would feel like you were missing out on interaction with your kids somewhat. Unless of course you decided they were annoying little ****s and didn't want to see them!
Reply 76
trance addict
the thing is if youre from a working class background yourself, the school wont change the kid at all.

Wait...are you're saying that working class kids who go to state schools will never become anything other than working class, but that with a public education they will?
Cauldhame
Wait...are you're saying that working class kids who go to state schools will never become anything other than working class, but that with a public education they will?

no. if theyve come from a working class background theyre not going to act like a rich snob after going to a private school at all
Reply 78
Antonia87

I could equally say that I wouldn't send my kids to a state school because it seems so "working class" to me, and I'd hate for them to turn into lower class derelicts.

Clearly, both my statement and yours are wrong. Don't be so quick to generalise based on your own limited experience.
Reply 79
trance addict
no. if theyve come from a working class background theyre not going to act like a rich snob after going to a private school at all

Oh, okay, misunderstood you and was about to open up a can of whup ass :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending