The Student Room Group

a 6 in biology but medicine

so I got my results and received 3A*,5A and 2Bs with the Bs in French and biology. After getting results, I’ve began considering medicine but I’ve been upset about my biology.. I got into sixth form to do chem, bio and history but I’m worried that my biology gcse will hold me back from getting accepted. could anyone please give advice about my biology and if medicine can still be an option? btw I did get an A* in chemistry

Scroll to see replies

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I got 3A*, 4As and 2Bs. In my sciences I got:
- bio 6
- chem 8
- phys 7
Reply 3
if I work hard at a level and try to get good predictions especially biology, could it make the 6 look less important as they’ll consider the fact that my prediction is much better? Thank you so much :smile:
Where are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by nightsky24
if I work hard at a level and try to get good predictions especially biology, could it make the 6 look less important as they’ll consider the fact that my prediction is much better? Thank you so much :smile:

so I got my results and received 3A*,5A and 2Bs with the Bs in French and biology. After getting results, I’ve began considering medicine but I’ve been upset about my biology.. I got into sixth form to do chem, bio and history but I’m worried that my biology gcse will hold me back from getting accepted. could anyone please give advice about my biology and if medicine can still be an option? btw I did get an A* in chemistry
Reply 5
Original post by Sososnake
Where are you thinking of applying to?

either Manchester university or Birmingham, it may change depending on whether they’ll take me in or not.
either Manchester university or Birmingham, it may change depending on whether they’ll take me in or not.

Not sure about Manchester but Birmingham would be very risky as they are very gcse heavy
Reply 7
so working hard at a level for bio might not be of any help there perhaps but thank you for letting me know :smile:

Yes with good A level grades that can make the 6 in biology hardly matter and getting good work experience is helpful too.
Reply 9
I’m hoping to apply to a local hospital so thank you for letting me know :smile: I appreciate it

Original post by alexa242424
Yes with good A level grades that can make the 6 in biology hardly matter and getting good work experience is helpful too.
I’m hoping to apply to a local hospital so thank you for letting me know :smile: I appreciate it

No worries! That 6 in biology is nothing to worry about it, even when applying to the most competitive of universities!
Reply 11
I didn’t really know where to post it as it’s my first time actually posting something but I’ll keep that in mind :smile: thanks for the document, I’ll look through it
Reply 12
Original post by alexa242424
No worries! That 6 in biology is nothing to worry about it, even when applying to the most competitive of universities!

ok thanks again 😊
I got 3A*, 4As and 2Bs. In my sciences I got:
- bio 6
- chem 8
- phys 7

most unis wanted a 6 for the sciences but double check!

If you're close to a 7 you could try a remark?
Reply 14
I’m 8 marks off a 7 and tbh I still can’t bekieve I did that bad, I feel like there could be a mistake but idek. Manchester needs 2 6s at minimum so thank you

Original post by Lucyadams1937
most unis wanted a 6 for the sciences but double check!

If you're close to a 7 you could try a remark?
I'm pretty sure it's too early for even any of us to be worrying about where we should be applying to now, especially because we've only done our GCSEs which is like the first step, other factors are yet to come in to play. I guess year 12 hasn't started yet so just try to understand any the hard topics in Biology and try the best you can for now.
I’m 8 marks off a 7 and tbh I still can’t bekieve I did that bad, I feel like there could be a mistake but idek. Manchester needs 2 6s at minimum so thank you

8 Mark's off isnt bad for a remark. My friend remarked maths for which she was 10 Mark's of a 9 and she got it!

But if you decide not to it's fine also because most medical schools require Bs but once again double check this now for the medical schools you would like to apply for so this doesnt become a hindrance in the future !
Reply 17
8 Mark's off isnt bad for a remark. My friend remarked maths for which she was 10 Mark's of a 9 and she got it!

But if you decide not to it's fine also because most medical schools require Bs but once again double check this now for the medical schools you would like to apply for so this doesnt become a hindrance in the future !

thank you so much! I’m thinking of getting it remarked if my paper 2 mark is low as I feel like that’s the one that affected me the most but it wasn’t that bad to get me a 6 :frown: I’ll keep looking at requirements :smile:
thank you so much! I’m thinking of getting it remarked if my paper 2 mark is low as I feel like that’s the one that affected me the most but it wasn’t that bad to get me a 6 :frown: I’ll keep looking at requirements :smile:

Best of luck and I hope the remark goes well!

If you have any other questions regarding applying to medicine feel free to ask
Reply 19
Best of luck and I hope the remark goes well!

If you have any other questions regarding applying to medicine feel free to ask

thank you again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending