The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE results good enough to do medicine?

I got a double A* in double award science, an A* in maths, an A* in further maths and an A in Spanish, music, business, English literature, English langauge and religion. I will do chemistry, biology, physics and maths at A level. I know I have to do well in the ucat aswell but are these GCSE's good enough or should I just look for a different degree?

That's 4A* and 6 A
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Roisin2007
I got a double A* in double award science, an A* in maths, an A* in further maths and an A in Spanish, music, business, English literature, English langauge and religion. I will do chemistry, biology, physics and maths at A level. I know I have to do well in the ucat aswell but are these GCSE's good enough or should I just look for a different degree?

That's 4A* and 6 A

so have you looked at the grade profiles and entry requirements for medicine, because those are impressive GCSE grades and well done for achieving through your hard work
Reply 2
Original post by Tomv2306
so have you looked at the grade profiles and entry requirements for medicine, because those are impressive GCSE grades and well done for achieving through your hard work

Thank you! I have always wanted to do medicine and got a bit scared as my 2 best friends both got 10 A*, this was when I started to second guess myself haha, I will continue to look at the requirements tho. Thanks again.
Reply 3

That's 4A* and 6 A

Good job! Personally, I think that's good for medicine. I know some unis value GCSEs more than others, so as long as you're weary of that when you apply, your GCSEs shouldn't bottleneck you at all :smile:

That's 4A* and 6 A

Hi @Roisin2007

Congratulations on your amazing GCSEs!

Universities will tend to put more emphasis on your A levels, but a lot of medical schools do have minimum GCSE grade requirements. These are the requirements for Lancaster Medical school: Minimum score of 13 points from 8 subjects (A or A* or 7-9 = 2 points; B or 6 = 1 point). The 8 subjects must include Core & Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Maths and English Language (grade B/6 or above). If Biology or Chemistry is not studied at A-level, then GCSE must be at least grade A/7

You can view the full entry criteria here:https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb-a100/2024/

Good luck on your journey to becoming a doctor!

Nellie (Third Year Medical Student)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Roisin2007

Congratulations on your amazing GCSEs!

Universities will tend to put more emphasis on your A levels, but a lot of medical schools do have minimum GCSE grade requirements. These are the requirements for Lancaster Medical school: Minimum score of 13 points from 8 subjects (A or A* or 7-9 = 2 points; B or 6 = 1 point). The 8 subjects must include Core & Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Maths and English Language (grade B/6 or above). If Biology or Chemistry is not studied at A-level, then GCSE must be at least grade A/7

You can view the full entry criteria here:https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb-a100/2024/

Good luck on your journey to becoming a doctor!

Nellie (Third Year Medical Student)

This was very helpful thank you Nellie!
If you don't mind my asking more questions, do you enjoy medical school, I know it will be alot of work but do you enjoy it?
Reply 6
Original post by JoeW21
Good job! Personally, I think that's good for medicine. I know some unis value GCSEs more than others, so as long as you're weary of that when you apply, your GCSEs shouldn't bottleneck you at all :smile:

Thanks so much, I'm definitely going to look into which universities I want to go to in more detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending