The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kookoo_koochoo
Haha I'll probably regret it... but as long as I dn't leave the house if it's that bad :p:

Heh, it might suit you. Good luck with that :wink:
Reply 21
I used to do this all the time! The results were very hit and miss though. Sometimes it came out really silky and in perfect waves, but other times it came out in a frizzy mess. Only put two or three plaits in and maybe put a little bit of hairspray on.
Foobso
I used to do this all the time! The results were very hit and miss though. Sometimes it came out really silky and in perfect waves, but other times it came out in a frizzy mess. Only put two or three plaits in and maybe put a little bit of hairspray on.

your signature made me laugh out loud hahahahaa.
Reply 23
Should the hair be sectioned in any specific way? Like a couple of plaits in the top section of the hair, a couple in the bottom?
I think it's a bit hit and miss. I used to do it sometimes when I had long hair and sometimes it would come out great but other times a bit of a mess. But when it came out in a mess I just shoved it in bunches! Now I'm not sure if I can pull off bunches without looking about 12 :p:
Reply 25
I used to do the little plats, then do my hair with an 'afro comb', so I would actually have a full on afro. For some reason I used to like it like that when I was about 8 or something.

This thread's reminded me about sleeping in plats, I might do it one night a week. Big plats though, not little afro inducing ones.
Whenever I've tried this its just turned out a frizzy mess and I've had to straighten it asap.
If you leave it in plaits there are always areas which are tighter and more defined, and then patches which arn't so you get quite an uneven look.

Its better to just use curling tongs, or get your hair curled by someone else.
Reply 27
Aquamarine.
Should the hair be sectioned in any specific way? Like a couple of plaits in the top section of the hair, a couple in the bottom?

I just do like 3 evenly spaced around. Just try stuff, it's not gonna go massively wrong, and if it does, you can just wash it out :p:
Levity
I used to do the little plats, then do my hair with an 'afro comb', so I would actually have a full on afro. For some reason I used to like it like that when I was about 8 or something.

This thread's reminded me about sleeping in plats, I might do it one night a week. Big plats though, not little afro inducing ones.

What is an afro comb like? I want one!! I'm 19 and this is a look I'd love to try out :cool:
Reply 29
I find as long as you don't brush your hair after taking the plaits out, it's fine. Once you brush your hair, it turns into a frizzy mess.

I do a lot of little ones, so it makes your hair wavy but uneven wavy.
Reply 30
I used to do it loads when I was little. My hairs too short now though.
Aquamarine.
Does sleeping with your hair damp in either little plaits or one or two french plaits really give it the wavy tousled look? Or does it just end up a frizzy mess?

I really want to stop myself using the straighteners everyday and I think if I could have my hair looking nice and wavy it would be a nice change and I wouldn't feel the urge to straighten it. Naturally my hair is straight but goes a bit flicky and big when its just left lol.

it works really well, but be careful of the ends, because they normally turn into a disaster for me. You want to use a hair grip instead of a band because the hair will dry with kinks from the band otherwise.

Also be careful not to brush it - cos that will make it frizzy!!

I'd probably either do 1 or 2 french plaits, or about 4 regular plaits.
kookoo_koochoo
What is an afro comb like? I want one!! I'm 19 and this is a look I'd love to try out :cool:

It's a large toothed comb, sometimes sported in afros, but normally just used to style them... http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=afro%20comb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

You can get them pretty much everywhere - Boots and Superdrug both stock them as far as I remember. About the only thing you can use on recently curled hair that doesn't make it go frizzy!
Reply 33
Mine goes terrible. Big and frizzy, very 80s.
But if I scrunch it up in a messy bun then normally it turns out wavy and not frizzy at all.

I think it completely depends on your hair though.
love2learn
It's a large toothed comb, sometimes sported in afros, but normally just used to style them... http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=afro%20comb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

You can get them pretty much everywhere - Boots and Superdrug both stock them as far as I remember. About the only thing you can use on recently curled hair that doesn't make it go frizzy!

ace, thank you :smile:
Reply 35
kookoo_koochoo
your signature made me laugh out loud hahahahaa.

Ha, I know! I could watch it all day :coma:
Reply 36
How do you actually do a french plait?
Reply 37
I used to do that! Until I had my hair chemically straightened which defeated the purpose really :/

Like everyone has said only 2 or 3 plaits is best.

I think it's also best not to do it when you hair is still sopping wet, towel dry really well first and then plait otherise I use to find that I'd wake up and parts of hair that wasn't really exposed to the air would still be wet!
Reply 38
Tiny plaits = frizzy mess.

Bigger, looser ones = much nicer.

My idiot sister did the tiny tight frizzy ones and despite me telling her otherwise, did it. She looked like a mop. It was very lol and mum made her go to school with it like that.
depends what you rhair is like normally.
let it mostly dry, put a TINY bit of moose in and then put it in to a loose french plait but twizzle your hair as you put it into the top of the plait.
wrapping your hair in rags works better for tousolled hair though imo (:

Latest