The Student Room Group

MLAT 2020 Entry Official Thread!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louisaharkness
my username is louisaroseharkness

I added you:smile:
Original post by Fleuryildirim
What do you guys think of the French MLAT? Some years pretty doable, but other years are significantly harder.. I struggle a lot with prepositions

So do I, and also some of the irregular verbs... How are you marking yours? Because I can't find any of the mark schemes from the older past papers...
Original post by katie_nicole
So do I, and also some of the irregular verbs... How are you marking yours? Because I can't find any of the mark schemes from the older past papers...

I’ve got a few marked from my teacher, but others I could not mark... it’s really annoying that we can’t check whether we’re on the right path or not

Do you also struggle with when to use à, de & en? I find it so hard to distinguish between the three, they put so many tricky ones in the mlat
I’ve got a few marked from my teacher, but others I could not mark... it’s really annoying that we can’t check whether we’re on the right path or not

I know, it's so frustrating because I just have no idea if I'm right on not - I don't understand why they don't publish the mark schemes
Do you also struggle with when to use à, de & en? I find it so hard to distinguish between the three, they put so many tricky ones in the mlat

I'm exactly the same - I'm just ok with the general structure of whole sentences, it's just the 'little' words like à, de, en e.t.c that I get confused with
I'm exactly the same - I'm just ok with the general structure of whole sentences, it's just the 'little' words like à, de, en e.t.c that I get confused with

Totally agree - it’s quite hard. The verb section can be hard to, especially with the irregular verbs and tenses as I was not teached futur anterieur and pluperfect tense etc yet
I made a gc, drop your @ if you want to be added :smile:

I'm katie_procter
Hi! I'm Giulia

I'm applying for French and Spanish at St John's college :smile:

I find some of the vocabulary in the translation sections of the MLAT difficult, particularly as the most random words can come up!
I made a gc, drop your @ if you want to be added :smile:

Mine is @giuliam0retti xx
HiyaI'm applying to Oriel for German :smile:I've mostly just been doing past papers, but they only have solutions for the last 3 years' papers which is a bit annoying lolOther than that just constant grammar practice!
Original post by daisymay156
HiyaI'm applying to Oriel for German :smile:I've mostly just been doing past papers, but they only have solutions for the last 3 years' papers which is a bit annoying lolOther than that just constant grammar practice!

Yeah it's so frustrating how there are only mark schemes for the last few years...
Yeah it's so frustrating how there are only mark schemes for the last few years...

it's v inconvenient as even my teachers don't know if their marking is correct :/ have you thought about written work yet?
Original post by lucymcg8
Course: Spanish and Arabic
College: Somerville

I've found the OLAT pretty good so far, the MLAT is definitely more difficult tho. I need to study more grammar :smile:
Does anyone know what would be considered a good mark for either test?

I'm applying for the same course!
Spanish and Arabic.
St. John's.
I'm finding the MLAT Spanish incredibly hard, despite being quite comfortable with all of the subjunctive tenses and when to use them, the test really is just looking for all of the exceptions and weird rules. The OLAT seems better though. But still difficult!

Yessss I find this so annoying, I’m applying for German and the website only gives mark schemes from the last 2 years
Reply 36
Hi there!
What language(s) you want to study - French and Spanish
The specific Oxford college - Queen's College
General opinions on MLAT (e.g. past papers you've done, how you are finding it etc.)
How have you been preparing? - Generally ok, I think the French one is easier for me. I have worked through most of the past papers now, getting teachers to mark them. Although, with the translation questions it is difficult to tell how they will distribute the marks eg. 6 marks for one sentence??
I feel as though they vary a lot from test to test with some being relatively easy and others pretty difficult. Also, the vocab is difficult as its not A-level stuff but more normal standard words that a lot of the time I wouldn't know. Now I have finished most of the past papers, I'm just going over grammar points doing exercises from workbooks etc.

@Fleuryildirim I'll PM you my insta for the ML gc :smile:
Reply 37
I have to do the Spanish MLAT and I'm finding it really difficult. It's a bit hit or miss on whether I know the vocabulary when it comes to the two translation sections and I never know any of the more idiomatic phrases. I just hope it's not a very high percentage to get to interview stage :s-smilie:
Original post by fntasi
I have to do the Spanish MLAT and I'm finding it really difficult. It's a bit hit or miss on whether I know the vocabulary when it comes to the two translation sections and I never know any of the more idiomatic phrases. I just hope it's not a very high percentage to get to interview stage :s-smilie:

I think it's only about 50% on the mlat to get an interview. Remember 90% of applicants are interviewed for mfl.
I also never know the idiomatic phrases and tbf some of the vocab too. Sounds like you're doing better than me :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by louisaharkness
I think it's only about 50% on the mlat to get an interview. Remember 90% of applicants are interviewed for mfl.
I also never know the idiomatic phrases and tbf some of the vocab too. Sounds like you're doing better than me :smile:

Yeah neither - to be fair some of the vocabulary they put in it is so niche. I think one year there was 'polizón' and even my Spanish teacher had to search it up !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending