The Student Room Group

Oxford European and Middle Eastern Languages 2022 entry

Hello!!
I created this thread for students applying to read EMEL. Feel free to introduce yourself. Also, Oriental Studies students are more than welcome to join.
I'm applying to read Spanish and Hebrew at Christ Church. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, not many EMEL applicants on here, right? I’ve applied for Spanish+Arabic at St John’s. Which other unis have you applied to?
(Original post by Lanalon)Hello, not many EMEL applicants on here, right? I’ve applied for Spanish+Arabic at St John’s. Which other unis have you applied to?

Hello!!
Yes, you're right, unfortunately, there aren't many EMEL applicants. I applied to read Spanish and Hebrew last year, then got rejected post-interviews. This year I am reapplying to read Hebrew only and I did an open application. I applied to UCL last year as it was the only other uni to offer this combination.

If you need any help with your MLAT/OLAT then I can definitely help. I am also a native Arabic speaker, so if you need any help with all-things Arabic then let me know!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dreamer_ms
(Original post by Lanalon)Hello, not many EMEL applicants on here, right? I’ve applied for Spanish+Arabic at St John’s. Which other unis have you applied to?

Hello!!
Yes, you're right, unfortunately, there aren't many EMEL applicants. I applied to read Spanish and Hebrew last year, then got rejected post-interviews. This year I am reapplying to read Hebrew only and I did an open application. I applied to UCL last year as it was the only other uni to offer this combination.

If you need any help with your MLAT/OLAT then I can definitely help. I am also a native Arabic speaker, so if you need any help with all-things Arabic then let me know!! :smile:

Thank you for your kind offer, let me put my thoughts together and get back to you:smile:
Original post by Lanalon
Hello, not many EMEL applicants on here, right? I’ve applied for Spanish+Arabic at St John’s. Which other unis have you applied to?

Hey, I'm reapplying for the same course combination at Christ Church! Applied last year and got shafted after interviews. I applied to St Andrews, Bristol, Durham and Exeter after Ox. Do you wanna chat on socials?

Hello!!

Hey, I have no clue if it updates you on the thread but am reapplying to for Spanish and Arabic. Would you wanna chat about our prior experience on socials aha?
hey! i'm applying for french+arabic at pembroke :smile:
we could make a gc on socials to talk about our experiences? it might be helpful + im happy to make it :biggrin:
Original post by liamjones23
hey! i'm applying for french+arabic at pembroke :smile:
we could make a gc on socials to talk about our experiences? it might be helpful + im happy to make it :biggrin:

That would be sick! Should I pm you?
Original post by jalchoudhury7
That would be sick! Should I pm you?

yeah go ahead!
Original post by liamjones23
yeah go ahead!

Just realised it doesn't let me PM yet (have only had an account for three days) welp. Wanna drop me a message on insta @ubaydalchoudhury
Original post by Lanalon
Thank you for your kind offer, let me put my thoughts together and get back to you:smile:

Of course, no worries at all :smile:
Original post by jalchoudhury7
Hey, I have no clue if it updates you on the thread but am reapplying to for Spanish and Arabic. Would you wanna chat about our prior experience on socials aha?

Hey,
Aw that's lovely to hear! I would love to, I have deactivated my socials in the meantime :/ but you're more than welcome to PM me and we can chat about our past experiences :smile:
I'm so happy to see that all of you are applying to read Arabic at Oxford. As a native Arabic speaker, it just makes me smile! :smile:

Again, feel free to chat on the thread or PM me if you would like any help or advice with applying/ reapplying to Oxford, how to deal with rejection, interviews, the OLAT, or anything Arabic-related. As I applied to read Spanish and Hebrew last year, (and only Hebrew this year), I can provide some advice on the MLAT too! I took French and Spanish at A-Levels, so ask away! :smile:
I'm applying for Portuguese and Hebrew at Wadham!
Anyone got advice on strategy for the OLAT? Sitting it on Wednesday...
Original post by Edgar483
I'm applying for Portuguese and Hebrew at Wadham!

Ayyy fellow Hebraist!! And Wadham too? :smile:

My advice is to not expect that you'll be able to do the whole thing in the given time. Aim for high accuracy and do as many questions as you can!
Ayyy fellow Hebraist!! And Wadham too? :smile:

My advice is to not expect that you'll be able to do the whole thing in the given time. Aim for high accuracy and do as many questions as you can!

Yea that sounds like what I’ve mostly been focusing on but in terms of tackling the deciphering element of the paper would you make word lists or perhaps look for rules of the language?
Yea that sounds like what I’ve mostly been focusing on but in terms of tackling the deciphering element of the paper would you make word lists or perhaps look for rules of the language?

I wouldn't make word lists per se, as that's not the most time-efficient thing to do. Instead, I'd focus on the rules of the language and see how these rules are applied in the sentences. Try and identify nouns from verbs, singular from plural, etc...

I hope that helps! :smile:

Oh, and most importantly - always expect the unexpected. Don't be surprised or weirded out by what language can do :smile:
Oh, and most importantly - always expect the unexpected. Don't be surprised or weirded out by what language can do :smile:

Great advice! My profile is not quite ready for PM as was created today - maybe we could speak via socials?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending