The Student Room Group

MLAT 2020 Entry Official Thread!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fntasi
Yeah neither - to be fair some of the vocabulary they put in it is so niche. I think one year there was 'polizón' and even my Spanish teacher had to search it up !

I did that one last week! I think it meant stowaway but why on earth would I know that word? Another had the word hammer in.
Reply 41
Original post by louisaharkness
I did that one last week! I think it meant stowaway but why on earth would I know that word? Another had the word hammer in.

Yeah it's crazy!
Also in terms of the mark scheme, do you think when they actually mark it it will be a little less harsh? As in will they accept an alternative translation of vocab or is marked harshly to the markscheme?
Reply 42
Original post by fntasi
Yeah it's crazy!
Also in terms of the mark scheme, do you think when they actually mark it it will be a little less harsh? As in will they accept an alternative translation of vocab or is marked harshly to the markscheme?

No I think they have the mark scheme for reference, but I doubt they are loyal to it, especially not for the translations. The point is that you get across the meaning without too much distortion. There's is never just one correct way to translate something, so as long as what you say makes sense, and the meaning can be inferred, you should be fine.
Hope that helps.
Original post by fntasi
Yeah it's crazy!

I've been thinking exactly that! My teacher marked them really harshly but I think some of my answersz although alternative are valid. Such as en boga for in fashion as opposed to en moda. Also if I change the word to something that doesn't mean exactly the same but I do all the grammar correctly, how much will I be penalised?
Reply 44
I've been thinking exactly that! My teacher marked them really harshly but I think some of my answersz although alternative are valid. Such as en boga for in fashion as opposed to en moda. Also if I change the word to something that doesn't mean exactly the same but I do all the grammar correctly, how much will I be penalised?

I think the important thing to recognise is what they are actually testing us on. Often those strange words are put in to throw us off but we neglect the fact that what they may actually be testing us on is the use of tense in that sentence or conjugations, or agreement or whatever it may be. I doubt that you'd be penalised for not knowing how to say 'pillow' in Spanish since most of us are not native and such vocabulary rarely comes up at A Level.
Reply 45
Original post by Spanguist
No I think they have the mark scheme for reference, but I doubt they are loyal to it, especially not for the translations. The point is that you get across the meaning without too much distortion. There's is never just one correct way to translate something, so as long as what you say makes sense, and the meaning can be inferred, you should be fine.
Hope that helps.

Thank you! I would have thought the same but I'm so worried now because I'm losing so many marks from the translation but I don't think my answers were totally wrong, just different.
Reply 46

They say it's more about your knowledge of grammar so I would assume not hopefully?
Hi everyone :smile:

What language(s) you want to study: French (and Classics - joint schools)
The specific Oxford college: Christ Church
General opinions on MLAT (e.g. past papers you've done, how you are finding it etc.): not too bad but it really varies...
How have you been preparing?: past papers, but finding it v hard to mark as only two come with a mark scheme and I'm on half term and will still be on half term when MLAT takes place
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mundosinfin
Hi everyone :smile:

What language(s) you want to study: French (and Classics - joint schools)
The specific Oxford college: Christ Church
General opinions on MLAT (e.g. past papers you've done, how you are finding it etc.): not too bad but it really varies...
How have you been preparing?: past papers, but finding it v hard to mark as only two come with a mark scheme and I'm on half term and will still be on half term when MLAT takes place

I’ve applied to Christ Church for French as well!! And yes, it’s so annoying that they’ve only released three marking schemes.. couldn’t really mark myself with the other past papers
Original post by Fleuryildirim
I’ve applied to Christ Church for French as well!! And yes, it’s so annoying that they’ve only released three marking schemes.. couldn’t really mark myself with the other past papers

I've only seen two mark schemes!! But best of luck to you :smile:
Do you also struggle with when to use à, de & en? I find it so hard to distinguish between the three, they put so many tricky ones in the mlat

Probably a good idea to start looking up new verbs you learn systematically in the dictionary to see what constructions they are used with. Write down an example sentence and remember it so that you learn the context not just the word. You might find it useful to use something like memrise to reinforce your learning etc.

One of the things I always tried to instil in my A level students was the awareness that just learning to conjugate the verb is not enough and that to use it in any meaningful way you need to know the different combinations of verbs + preposition.

Here's a basic list of verbs sorted by the preposition that follows them.

If anyone wants to run any French MLAT answers by me fire away.
I've only seen two mark schemes!! But best of luck to you :smile:

They’ve released three!! Check this link out: https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/portal/site/:humdiv:modlang:mlat-tests
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Probably a good idea to start looking up new verbs you learn systematically in the dictionary to see what constructions they are used with. Write down an example sentence and remember it so that you learn the context not just the word. You might find it useful to use something like memrise to reinforce your learning etc.

One of the things I always tried to instil in my A level students was the awareness that just learning to conjugate the verb is not enough and that to use it in any meaningful way you need to know the different combinations of verbs + preposition.

Here's a basic list of verbs sorted by the preposition that follows them.

If anyone wants to run any French MLAT answers by me fire away.

Thanks! Although I do not have enough time to learn all those combinations by heart.. I guess I’ll make some guesses and hopefully they’ll turn out to be correct :smile:
Reply 53
Any German applicants?
does anyone know what a good score for MLAT would be? :0
does anyone know what a good score for MLAT would be? :0

I believe about half marks is enough to be invited for an interview. There is a file somewhere online with the results from last year. The highest was 95% ;but they must have been superhuman!
I believe about half marks is enough to be invited for an interview. There is a file somewhere online with the results from last year. The highest was 95% ;but they must have been superhuman!

Fab, thank you!! I'm also unsure on how they mark it so I've tried to do it v harshly hahah but I think I'll be fine, I did last year's and got 93 (for French btw). However, I have the CAT as well before the MLAT :angry: so am not really looking forward to tomorrow
(edited 4 years ago)
Fab, thank you!! I'm also unsure on how they mark it so I've tried to do it v harshly hahah but I think I'll be fine, I did last year's and got 93. However, I have the CAT as well before the MLAT :angry: so am not really looking forward to tomorrow

That's amazing! You'll absolutely smash it then. 70% was the mean score of successful candidates and 52% was the overall mean. We have an insta chat if youd like to join :smile:
Fab, thank you!! I'm also unsure on how they mark it so I've tried to do it v harshly hahah but I think I'll be fine, I did last year's and got 93 (for French btw). However, I have the CAT as well before the MLAT :angry: so am not really looking forward to tomorrow

Holy, 93 is so so so good!! Wouldn’t worry too much with those scores..
That's amazing! You'll absolutely smash it then. 70% was the mean score of successful candidates and 52% was the overall mean. We have an insta chat if youd like to join :smile:

Let's just hope it goes like that tomorrow then ahahah
that would be fab <3 my insta is elizadeaan

Holy, 93 is so so so good!! Wouldn’t worry too much with those scores..

it varies a lot though lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending