The Student Room Group

Studying Korean language

I want to study South Korean at university after my a levels in vision to do any job to do with Korea or Korean, something like , teacher/tutor of south korean language, interpreter, translator, teacher of anything in south korea. I want to go to Sheffield Uni to study but if I don't get the grades for sheffield i was thinking of going to york st johns uni. I noticed that york st johns only requires 96 ucas points, why is this so different than the requirements for sheffield and does it mean that there is less to offer in york st johns and will I get the same qualifications doing either or will i be taught different things?
Not necessarily, they should teach all the same things hut maybe they just don’t get as many students applying to that course so they want to make it more accessible ?
Original post by Charlotteh4
Not necessarily, they should teach all the same things hut maybe they just don’t get as many students applying to that course so they want to make it more accessible ?

Original post by kbr1306
I want to study South Korean at university after my a levels in vision to do any job to do with Korea or Korean, something like , teacher/tutor of south korean language, interpreter, translator, teacher of anything in south korea. I want to go to Sheffield Uni to study but if I don't get the grades for sheffield i was thinking of going to york st johns uni. I noticed that york st johns only requires 96 ucas points, why is this so different than the requirements for sheffield and does it mean that there is less to offer in york st johns and will I get the same qualifications doing either or will i be taught different things?

You'll receive a degree from both universities but the Sheffield course will most likely be more intensive and more academically rigorous. :rambo:
Original post by kbr1306

As Quick-use mentioned, the Sheffield degree is more rigorous and more respected by future employers. The St Johns course appears to be new this year too, so their department won't be anywhere near as experienced as Sheffield's. The Sheffield lecturers have pretty impressive backgrounds and have won a lot of awards for quality of teaching, and it's unlikely St Johns has teachers that well-respected as of yet since the department is so new. The low UCAS points I'm sure are at least partially influenced by the fact that they want to get students to apply to make it a more well-established course
Original post by kbr1306

If you want to teach then it’s better to do a course that involves TESOL. Since you need that to be able to teach in Korea. Right now I’m hoping to either go to York St. John’s or UCLan
Reply 5
I'm at ysj rn for Japanese, it's 96 points because it's a small uni and not intensive, most of the applicants aren't 18 either, I'm in Japan now and the course is to help you become a teacher not a translator or interpreter (we do have translation modules tho), so language is half your focus and the other is English liguistics, some people we spoke to from other unis preferred this because they would have to write essays on pop culture in Japan and wanted a purely language focused course, I'd suggest the TESOL and linguistics one because the eng lang department is giving my friend a headache rn
Reply 6
also want to say, unless you go to oxbridge, uni does not matter at all. Experience, TOPIK level and time spent in country is what matters to employers, language is not a STEM subject, what does matter is what exchange uni you get into on your 3rd year can make a difference to your cv like it has mine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending