The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Accomodation

Hey! I have an unconditional offer to study Korean and Linguistics at SOAS starting in September this year and was wondering around what time will accommodation open? Also, for anyone who does study in London, what accommodation would you recommend to a first year? :smile:)
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey! I'm applying for that exact course too! and I have the same questions as you haha, im not sure about all the accommodation yet.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by moopyxo
hey! I'm applying for that exact course too! and I have the same questions as you haha, im not sure about all the accommodation yet.

Oh wow that's so cool!! Have you gotten an offer yet? It'll be nice to know someone doing the same course ^^ I've done some research and I think accommodation opens around easter time? I'm assuming it won't be until after the ucas deadline though :smile:)
Reply 3
Original post by MagicalKiwi123
Oh wow that's so cool!! Have you gotten an offer yet? It'll be nice to know someone doing the same course ^^ I've done some research and I think accommodation opens around easter time? I'm assuming it won't be until after the ucas deadline though :smile:)

not yet still waiting, but I've been made an offer previously as I took a gap year ! I've heard about dinwiddy halls as an option but not sure if that's one I'd go for yet. are you set on soas or still deciding? :]
Original post by moopyxo
not yet still waiting, but I've been made an offer previously as I took a gap year ! I've heard about dinwiddy halls as an option but not sure if that's one I'd go for yet. are you set on soas or still deciding? :]

I wish you luck with your application :smile:) I'm pretty much set on soas now as I ended up firming it a couple of days ago! Initially I was interested in Sheffield but it's quite far from my house. What about you? :smile:
Reply 5
I wish you luck with your application :smile:) I'm pretty much set on soas now as I ended up firming it a couple of days ago! Initially I was interested in Sheffield but it's quite far from my house. What about you? :smile:

thank you! and that's great! I've applied for Sheffield too as I like the sound of the Korean with Japanese course, but its quite far from me too, so not sure yet. I did visit soas last year however and enjoyed it!
Reply 6
Hey! I have an unconditional offer to study Korean and Linguistics at SOAS starting in September this year and was wondering around what time will accommodation open? Also, for anyone who does study in London, what accommodation would you recommend to a first year? :smile:)

Hi! Congratulations on your offer! Unfortunately I’m not entirely sure about accommodation but I did receive an email from SOAS saying that they will email us about this (and offer holder days) soon 👍
Original post by moopyxo
thank you! and that's great! I've applied for Sheffield too as I like the sound of the Korean with Japanese course, but its quite far from me too, so not sure yet. I did visit soas last year however and enjoyed it!

Oh cool! I've not gotten the chance to visit soas yet but hopefully I will when the offer holder day opens :smile:) I know they do campus tours so I might also go to one of them! Yess, the Korean and Japanese course sounds really nice but distance is an issue 🥲 I know that soas does evening language classes so there is always an opportunity to study Japanese alongside the degree :smile:
Original post by Dinazade
Hi! Congratulations on your offer! Unfortunately I’m not entirely sure about accommodation but I did receive an email from SOAS saying that they will email us about this (and offer holder days) soon 👍

Thank youu! Yeah, I'm assuming around easter time as that's when the other uni's seem to be holding their offer holder days as well as opening up accommodation applications :smile:) Are you also going to soas?
Reply 9
Thank youu! Yeah, I'm assuming around easter time as that's when the other uni's seem to be holding their offer holder days as well as opening up accommodation applications :smile:) Are you also going to soas?

Easter sounds like a good bet! And yeah I actually received an offer from SOAS for Chinese not long ago! Am waiting for my other responses but will most likely be firming SOAS 😄
Easter sounds like a good bet! And yeah I actually received an offer from SOAS for Chinese not long ago! Am waiting for my other responses but will most likely be firming SOAS 😄

Ahh, congratulations!! SOAS does seem like the best uni for east asian languages so it seems like a good choice :smile:) It'll be nice to know a few people going to study at soas before going though! Also, good luck with your other offers!
Reply 11
Ahh, congratulations!! SOAS does seem like the best uni for east asian languages so it seems like a good choice :smile:) It'll be nice to know a few people going to study at soas before going though! Also, good luck with your other offers!

Yeah definitely, especially as I feel like you’ll be surrounded by people interested in very similar things! Thank you, I’m not quite as nervous for the others as they’re not my first choice but hoping for the best! What made you interested in Korean?
(edited 3 months ago)
Yeah definitely, especially as I feel like you’ll be surrounded by people interested in very similar things! Thank you, I’m not quite as nervous for the others as they’re not my first choice but hoping for the best! What made you interested in Korean?

Yess! Since soas is such a smaller university as well I feel like it'll be a lot easier to make friends as opposed to a bigger university! My first interest in Korean came from my initial interest in Japanese 😂 When I was younger one of my favourite animations had an episode about Japanese culture and from that I became super interested in Japan and consequently got to learn about Korean culture and language! When I first heard the Korean language I though it sounded really beautiful and wanted to learn it someday :smile:) My grandad used to work in the foreign office and lived in a few countries within Asia so that grew my interest as well! What made you interested in Chinese? :smile:)
Reply 13
Yess! Since soas is such a smaller university as well I feel like it'll be a lot easier to make friends as opposed to a bigger university! My first interest in Korean came from my initial interest in Japanese 😂 When I was younger one of my favourite animations had an episode about Japanese culture and from that I became super interested in Japan and consequently got to learn about Korean culture and language! When I first heard the Korean language I though it sounded really beautiful and wanted to learn it someday :smile:) My grandad used to work in the foreign office and lived in a few countries within Asia so that grew my interest as well! What made you interested in Chinese? :smile:)

Yes exactly!!! I think that a small community is really nice especially in such a massive city like London. Weirdly, my interest in China stemmed from an initial interest in Japan too! 😂 I tried learning Japanese on duolingo for a while and that’s when I learnt that kanji were Chinese characters. Then I became interested in how else China had influenced Japanese culture, which lead to me also becoming interested in Chinese culture. I agree with you, Korean is such a nice language to hear!!!
Yes exactly!!! I think that a small community is really nice especially in such a massive city like London. Weirdly, my interest in China stemmed from an initial interest in Japan too! 😂 I tried learning Japanese on duolingo for a while and that’s when I learnt that kanji were Chinese characters. Then I became interested in how else China had influenced Japanese culture, which lead to me also becoming interested in Chinese culture. I agree with you, Korean is such a nice language to hear!!!

Right! Also, the fact a lot of the other London universities are quite near by is nice so that we'll be able to meet a huge range of people from other universities. I feel as though in a city as diverse as London it'll be a lot easier to practice our language skills as well :smile:) That's such a coincidence 😂😂 My grandma used to study Chinese when they lived in Beijing and she really loved learning the language as well as living in the country so I'm sure you'll love the course! I've heard soas is pretty intense in terms of language teaching but I suppose that's probably for the best considering how difficult the languages are! Have you looked into anyone of the societies soas has on offer? :smile:)
Reply 15
Right! Also, the fact a lot of the other London universities are quite near by is nice so that we'll be able to meet a huge range of people from other universities. I feel as though in a city as diverse as London it'll be a lot easier to practice our language skills as well :smile:) That's such a coincidence 😂😂 My grandma used to study Chinese when they lived in Beijing and she really loved learning the language as well as living in the country so I'm sure you'll love the course! I've heard soas is pretty intense in terms of language teaching but I suppose that's probably for the best considering how difficult the languages are! Have you looked into anyone of the societies soas has on offer? :smile:)

Oh wow that’s really cool! I’ll probably end up going to Beijing for the year abroad so I’m glad your grandma liked it :smile: And yeah, I’m a bit worried about how intense it’s going to be but hopefully we’ll get the hang of it 😂 I’m probably going to join all of the societies I can but the ones I like the look of most are probably the Chinese Music Ensemble, the Creative Writing Society and the Anime society. Even though I really like the art style of anime I’ve never really been able to get into any shows so maybe that might change that! What about you?

Hi, Congratulations on your offer! I believe accommodation information should be sent soon. I'd recommend applying as soon as it opens to ensure you get your top preferences. The majority of first-year SOAS students opt for Dinwiddy House. It's located in Kings Cross, a 25 minute walk from SOAS campus. It's a self-catered accommodation and every room has an en-suite bathroom and shared kitchen between 5-6 other students.
Oh wow that’s really cool! I’ll probably end up going to Beijing for the year abroad so I’m glad your grandma liked it :smile: And yeah, I’m a bit worried about how intense it’s going to be but hopefully we’ll get the hang of it 😂 I’m probably going to join all of the societies I can but the ones I like the look of most are probably the Chinese Music Ensemble, the Creative Writing Society and the Anime society. Even though I really like the art style of anime I’ve never really been able to get into any shows so maybe that might change that! What about you?

Yes, the societies at SOAS are amazing so definitely try out as many as you can in the first few weeks of freshers at SOAS. I'm a final year SOAS student studying Arabic and International Relations so if you have any questions, feel free to reach out!

Let's hope so 😂 The first few weeks will be a bit difficult but after that I'm sure we'll get the hang of it! Ahh, they sound so interesting! I used to watch anime when I was younger but haven't been able to get into it recently so I might join the anime society as well! Right now I'm mainly interested in the Badminton society, Korea society, and also the Korean Music society :smile:) I'll probably join a few more during freshers to see which ones I enjoy the most!
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hi, Congratulations on your offer! I believe accommodation information should be sent soon. I'd recommend applying as soon as it opens to ensure you get your top preferences. The majority of first-year SOAS students opt for Dinwiddy House. It's located in Kings Cross, a 25 minute walk from SOAS campus. It's a self-catered accommodation and every room has an en-suite bathroom and shared kitchen between 5-6 other students.

Thank youu! I'm planning on applying for accommodation as soon as it opens so hopefully I'll be able to get my first preferences :smile:) My top choices I'm considering right now are Dinwiddy house and Vega Vauxhall student accommodation! Would you recommend either of them? 🙂 Also, since you are studying Arabic and International relations, how are you finding balancing both aspects of the course? I've heard languages at soas are pretty intense so I'm slightly worried about balancing both Korean and Linguistics 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending