The Student Room Group

Korean language students : What advice would you give to new students?

Hi,

I got a place at UCLAN for APS and Korean and have started learning some language skills on my own so I don't feel I'm going in blind. I've been learning mainly hangul, how to write and pronounce as well as different syllable structures and grammar rules. I don't want to learn too much before the course starts because I did that on my last degree and I was bored the whole first year (I'm retraining).

Also how much practice a week would you recommend and what would you recommend to practice with because lets be real duolingo isn't great.

Hiii
I'm self studying Korean, here's what I'd recommend (if you haven't already started the course... I realised I'm seeing this 3 months late 😭):

Solidify your knowledge of hangul (I recommend using 90-day-korean as the website has audios for each symbol), then

Familiarise yourself with the language through things like music, dramas, youtube videos etc.

Go through the ttmik level 1 book (I'm pretty sure you can download it for free online).
That shouldn't put you too far ahead but with give you a pretty good understanding of the language in a short amount of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending