The Student Room Group

English language paper 1

I am in year 10 and i have an upcoming mini exam on English language paper one questions 2,3 and 4.. excluding past papers can anyone suggest revision methods particularly for question 3 since that's the question which always drags me down..
I'm in year 10 aswell, I sat the 2019 paper before Xmas.
I found the following helpful

1. Mr Buff on YouTube he goes through exactly how to answer each question
2. Practice, practice and more practice
3. Be VERY careful on how you spend time Q1, 2 Mins the rest of the questions however many marks there are spend that many minutes. If you run out of time on one question, just move on, if you do this the chances are you'll have some time left at the end, when you practice make sure to pay close attention to how long you spend.
4. Dont rush reading the text, like seriously I know the exam is VERY tight for time but make sure you take everything from the text in and you get a good understanding of it.
5. When practicing take a random section of the most randomist book (about 2 or 3 pages) and use that the write about (this allows you to be prepared incase you get a horrible text in the exam.
6. Its a given that a few language features will be in the text, so save a template answer in your mind for thing like metaphors ect and just change the quotes.
7. Don't worry Q3 is my downfall aswell
8. A small amount about contrasts and context are ok on just about any question.
9. On language say the ____ "_____" has connotations of.....
10. effects on reader are everything
this makes the reader feel ____ and reminds them of a time in their life when they was ______
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Owenstampy
I'm in year 10 aswell, I sat the 2019 paper before Xmas.
I found the following helpful

1. Mr Buff on YouTube he goes through exactly how to answer each question
2. Practice, practice and more practice
3. Be VERY careful on how you spend time Q1, 2 Mins the rest of the questions however many marks there are spend that many minutes. If you run out of time on one question, just move on, if you do this the chances are you'll have some time left at the end, when you practice make sure to pay close attention to how long you spend.
4. Dont rush reading the text, like seriously I know the exam is VERY tight for time but make sure you take everything from the text in and you get a good understanding of it.
5. When practicing take a random section of the most randomist book (about 2 or 3 pages) and use that the write about (this allows you to be prepared incase you get a horrible text in the exam.
6. Its a given that a few language features will be in the text, so save a template answer in your mind for thing like metaphors ect and just change the quotes.
7. Don't worry Q3 is my downfall aswell
8. A small amount about contrasts and context are ok on just about any question.
9. On language say the ____ "_____" has connotations of.....
10. effects on reader are everything
this makes the reader feel ____ and reminds them of a time in their life when they was ______

Thank you for putting in the time to write all of that!!:smile: I really liked what you said on 3,4 and 5. if I remember I might put what I got for this mini exam on this thread..
Lol randomly remembered about this. How did it go
Reply 4
Original post by Owenstampy
Lol randomly remembered about this. How did it go

sorry for the late reply, haven't been active for ages.. but i got 6/8 for q2 and q3 and 13/20 for q4. i can still improve but I'm glad that I have improved since last time and your tips helped a lot!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending