The Student Room Group

Rinsed out of GCSE english grades

Throughout year 10 and 11, I was getting 9s in both English subjects. I came out of both exams confident that id secured my two 9s. I opened my envelope last week to a 6 in Lang and a 7 in lit. I did all I was taught and what had always got me grade 9s in language. Band 4 content. My English teacher is also an AQA marker. I usually get 80/90 on papers and ended up with 97 over both. I feel lost and scammed. I've seen so many people online miraculously go from a 5 to an 8 but I know theres people in my position too. All 4 papers are being really and remarked. Anyone had a similar experience? really sketch in my opinion
yep, im having the exact same experience except i was predicted 8's in English's, and i got done so badly i went from a 7 to a 3 in language. My teacher was beyond shocked since she's an examiner too. My papers are being remarked though I'm not sure tbh I'm terrified, but these examiners are really ruining lives out here. I hope you get the results you want. Also it's extremely rare to go up beyond 1 grade but best of luck. This link explains the grading reviewing.
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reviews-of-marking-and-moderation-for-gcse-as-and-a-level-summer-2022-exam-series/reviews-of-marking-and-moderation-for-gcse-as-and-a-level-summer-2022-exam-series#contextual-information
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by IslaL.
Throughout year 10 and 11, I was getting 9s in both English subjects. I came out of both exams confident that id secured my two 9s. I opened my envelope last week to a 6 in Lang and a 7 in lit. I did all I was taught and what had always got me grade 9s in language. Band 4 content. My English teacher is also an AQA marker. I usually get 80/90 on papers and ended up with 97 over both. I feel lost and scammed. I've seen so many people online miraculously go from a 5 to an 8 but I know theres people in my position too. All 4 papers are being really and remarked. Anyone had a similar experience? really sketch in my opinion

Something similar happened to me. I got a 9 in English Language in mocks and I got a 6 in my actual GCSEs. I got my paper reviewed and I went up to a grade 7, but I was quite surprised by how differently the examiner marked my paper compared to teachers at my school. Oddly, though, I got a 7 in English Literature in my mocks but somehow got an unexpected 9 in the actual paper. I guess it just goes to show how subjective english is.
Hey, so you got your paper reviewed but when did it come back? Also how many marks were you off the 7 which you received after review?
Original post by fateful-quay
Hey, so you got your paper reviewed but when did it come back? Also how many marks were you off the 7 which you received after review?

I emailed my school asking them to send my paper for review yesterday and I got the outcome today. I was 1 mark off a 7 and my paper went up by 2 marks.
That's so great congratulation. Also, did you do AQA exam board? and how did you get your paper reviewed so early?
Original post by fateful-quay
That's so great congratulation. Also, did you do AQA exam board? and how did you get your paper reviewed so early?

Thank you :smile: I did Edexcel iGCSE. I don't know why it got reviewed so early. My school just sent it in and Edexcel reviewed it within a day - pretty efficient!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest