The Student Room Group

PC Fans

Right so...

I'm wondering how many PC fans people have managed with their motherboards on one header. As I only have 1 CPU fan header and 1 sys fan header.

I can't find any of my motherboard's header ratings online. :s-smilie: I've heard the general rule is 1 amp? But that means I could run about 10 fans off a 1 amp header which doesn't sound right to me... I've currently only got the 2 plugged in via a splitter for now.

Should I risk plugging in more?
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Right so...

I'm wondering how many PC fans people have managed with their motherboards on one header. As I only have 1 CPU fan header and 1 sys fan header.

I can't find any of my motherboard's header ratings online. :s-smilie: I've heard the general rule is 1 amp? But that means I could run about 10 fans off a 1 amp header which doesn't sound right to me... I've currently only got the 2 plugged in via a splitter for now.

There are definitly splitters out there with more than 2 ways, e.g. search "VanDeSaiL PWM Fan Hub Fan Hub" on Amazon which suggests its fine, as do the numbers. A Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 fan for example is rated 0.09A, 12V so quite a few of those are going to run on a 1A bus. As your MB manual does not give a rating for max current on that header you could take a look at a few similar boards and see if they say anything useful. I would expect an output like that to be current limited / short circuit protected so there is very little chance of frying something if you stack too much load on it.

Another option would be to get a bay insert fan controller with the advantage that you could tweak things externally if you want to flip between gaming and silent modes. e.g. "Blizim 10W Fan Speed Controller" and similar on Amazon. These take power from the main cable loom, not the motherboard headers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mr Wednesday
There are definitly splitters out there with more than 2 ways, e.g. search "VanDeSaiL PWM Fan Hub Fan Hub" on Amazon which suggests its fine, as do the numbers. A Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 fan for example is rated 0.09A, 12V so quite a few of those are going to run on a 1A bus. As your MB manual does not give a rating for max current on that header you could take a look at a few similar boards and see if they say anything useful. I would expect an output like that to be current limited / short circuit protected so there is very little chance of frying something if you stack too much load on it.

Another option would be to get a bay insert fan controller with the advantage that you could tweak things externally if you want to flip between gaming and silent modes. e.g. "Blizim 10W Fan Speed Controller" and similar on Amazon. These take power from the main cable loom, not the motherboard headers.

Cheers for the reply, I have just contacted Gigabyte, via their eSupport, and they've told me the max output is 0.5 amps.

The 2 fans I have at the moment is a 0.08A fan and a 0.12A fan. So in total a 0.2A draw, I don't see a problem in adding another 0.12A fan to the header perhaps, daisy chaining a splitter onto the original splitter?

Is there any PSU powered controllers that can be PWM header controlled that you'd recommend?
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Cheers for the reply, I have just contacted Gigabyte, via their eSupport, and they've told me the max output is 0.5 amps.

The 2 fans I have at the moment is a 0.08A fan and a 0.12A fan. So in total a 0.2A draw, I don't see a problem in adding another 0.12A fan to the header perhaps, daisy chaining a splitter onto the original splitter?

Is there any PSU powered controllers that can be PWM header controlled that you'd recommend?

Great, adding another fan on the single header sounds fine then.

Re PSU powered PWM controllers, I used to do a lot of stuff like this in the "bad old days" when if you wanted peltier cooled -20C blocks backed with silent water cooled copper you built them yourself by hand with a press drill and blow torch :smile:. I am however very out of date on what's currently on the market, so probably best to just hit Amazon and look at reviews to begin with ("pc fan controller" brings up lots of hits, both bay inserts and internal modules).

That said, I always liked https://www.matrixorbital.com kit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending