The Student Room Group

Would I need a laptop at university?

Hi,

I have a gaming PC that I will be bringing with me to university but will I also need a laptop? Obviously, I can't bring the PC to class but I want to have all of my notes written online rather than by hand.

The university does have laptops that can be borrowed from the library but my concerns with this are I don't know how many they have so they may all be in use when I need one and I don't really want to be judged by others for not having my own.

Should I buy myself a laptop?
Original post by 048243
Hi,

I have a gaming PC that I will be bringing with me to university but will I also need a laptop? Obviously, I can't bring the PC to class but I want to have all of my notes written online rather than by hand.

The university does have laptops that can be borrowed from the library but my concerns with this are I don't know how many they have so they may all be in use when I need one and I don't really want to be judged by others for not having my own.

Should I buy myself a laptop?

I think most people will have their own laptop - don't worry about getting something expensive.
Or, you could get an iPad to carry around and then use either your gaming PC or a university PC for anything the iPad can't do.
Reply 2
Just want to put in a good word for taking notes by hand - I did it all the way through my undergrad, even though sometimes I was seemingly the only person in an entire lecture theatre doing it.

I found, because of the relative slowness, I was much more selective with what I noted, and had to really listen to what was being said, so I ended up with only the important bits. Whereas some of my friends sat there basically doing a dictation of the lecture without actually listening to it, and then had pages and pages of notes full of waffle which they had to keep re-reading to find the key info. If you then copy the notes onto a laptop later, as I did, then you will effectively be digesting the content twice, which'll make both recall and exam revision much easier.

Maybe you'll need a laptop anyway so you can have articles or resources open and follow along with the lecturer (depends on what course you're doing), but just in terms of note-taking I would consider at least trialling doing it by hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending