The Student Room Group

buying a region free dvd player

i’m in the UK and i want to buy a region-free or multi region dvd player. there are a number of websites that list “region free” dvd players but when i look at the specs of these dvd players it says nothing about being region free. as well as this, i would prefer to get a dvd player from a trustworthy UK shop like argos but am i right in thinking it’s illegal to sell region free dvd players? can you get dvd players from places like argos or john lewis that are region free without having to hack them? how do i know if a dvd player is region free?
Original post by amy.iris
i’m in the UK and i want to buy a region-free or multi region dvd player. there are a number of websites that list “region free” dvd players but when i look at the specs of these dvd players it says nothing about being region free. as well as this, i would prefer to get a dvd player from a trustworthy UK shop like argos but am i right in thinking it’s illegal to sell region free dvd players? can you get dvd players from places like argos or john lewis that are region free without having to hack them? how do i know if a dvd player is region free?

last time i checked i didn't know DVD players where region locked, i only knew consoles where but the DVD reader itself isn't locked, its a software thing in which mods bypass it, so correct me if im wrong, a movie you are trying to watch is region locked
I am pretty sure my Samsung DVD player that I would have bought at curry’s etc was region free. I just had to do something in the menu to make it region free, though it was 10+ years ago now.so maybe find a forum like what DVD player that will discuss how to do this and which players it works on
Original post by Catherine1973
I am pretty sure my Samsung DVD player that I would have bought at curry’s etc was region free. I just had to do something in the menu to make it region free, though it was 10+ years ago now.so maybe find a forum like what DVD player that will discuss how to do this and which players it works on

OK yes i looked into and to my surprise its true but most articles are like 8 years old upwards, i recommend getting it digitally i feel DVD players are pretty irrelevant and if not, if you own the DVD but need the player, u could just pirate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending