The Student Room Group

Law work experience for high school students

I am currently a Year 12 student and I want to apply for law in the future. Do I need to have an internship or work experience to make my personal statement look better? If do, is there any program for high school students? It would be better if it's not the online program. Helps! Thanks a lot!!
Reply 1
Original post by Elsie027
I am currently a Year 12 student and I want to apply for law in the future. Do I need to have an internship or work experience to make my personal statement look better? If do, is there any program for high school students? It would be better if it's not the online program. Helps! Thanks a lot!!

Hiya, i don't think it is necessary for you to have work experience or internships, obviously it is useful and adds to your skills. Take a look at this https://app.socialmobility.org.uk/student. Though for this one you have to be able to qualify for it through specific personal criteria. for other work experience take a look directly on specific chambers within your area or city and look at if they offer shadowing or work experience.
Many large regional firms offer work experience programmes, usually in the summer. You can usually find details on their websites which will require you googling local firms. Competition is quite high, but if you apply to a few you might find one comes to fruition. Some firms have just started to open in-person schemes again following covid.

However, w/e isn’t necessary for a law degree as such. Many people don’t get the opportunity to do so & a degree is academic not vocational.
Reply 4
As people have said, work experience isn’t necessary for a law degree. However, if you’re thinking of becoming a solicitor or barrister it can be helpful later on for your CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending