The Student Room Group

Have i been hacked??

For the last couple of hours, my hotmail account has been sending junk email every 2 minutes to random email accounts. The email accounts are all in alphabetical order. The email claims to be from Facebook saying they have decided to check the accounts of all users. I'm obviously not sending them, so how is this happeni ng? I've changed my password twice but the emails are still being sent. The emails that are receiving them are not even in my contacts list. I'm very concerned about this and wondering if I should close the account, which I don't want to as I use it for everything.
erm, if you have changed your password i would contact Microsoft - this happened to my aunts yahoo email and she had to call them up and they looked into it for her
Reply 2
Original post by Dinosaur27
For the last couple of hours, my hotmail account has been sending junk email every 2 minutes to random email accounts. The email accounts are all in alphabetical order. The email claims to be from Facebook saying they have decided to check the accounts of all users. I'm obviously not sending them, so how is this happeni ng? I've changed my password twice but the emails are still being sent. The emails that are receiving them are not even in my contacts list. I'm very concerned about this and wondering if I should close the account, which I don't want to as I use it for everything.

My hotmail had the same issue tbh. I'd change accounts or call them up.
Reply 3
Your account might be linked to a 3rd party service that has the ability to send emails.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/revoke-access-microsoft-account/
Reply 4
Rang Microsoft - uselesS.

Looks like someone has found my email address and is using that to send spam. Nothing I can do so will have to close my account and set up a new one.
If you can see them in your sent mail then it means it's being sent by a service you allowed to access your account.
You'll have to remove the authorisation through your Microsoft account, changing your password won't work as it will be using an authorisation key given to it when you authorised it

I suggest you pay more attention in future to what you're giving permission to and also check the website address very carefully to also avoid being duped into a login scam
Original post by Dinosaur27

Yep, someone or something has access to your account.

Change password ASAP, get 2FA, review your sign-ins, current logged on places and app authorisations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending