The Student Room Group

Random number texting me

This morning a random phone number sent me a whatsapp text saying "it's good to see you Lilly" , my names not lily so I asaumed they had a wrong number. I texted back saying "i'm not lily, think you've got a wrong number lol" and they appeared to read the message straight away. So i checked their account and it said they're a business account.

20 mins later they're still online so i texted again saying "who is this" and again, they read it straight away and didnt answer.

What should i do in this situation because tbh, it's really freaking me out 😬
Don't think too hard about it man. It's either a scam or someone with the wrong number. Isn't anything to do with you at all. Maybe report the number for spam if you're worried.
Whatsapp was hacked recently and it's been doing what you've experienced.
Block number.
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
Whatsapp was hacked recently and it's been doing what you've experienced.

Oh gosh, really?

I use it all the time and luckily nothing weird's happened yet- maybe I should use another app instead :frown:
Another vote for blocking the number :smile:
Hey all just wanted to update everyone:
It was ok she replied back and we established it was the wrong number had a very friendly interaction in the end, not sure why she was always showing as online though!
Original post by hyacinth77
Oh gosh, really?

I use it all the time and luckily nothing weird's happened yet- maybe I should use another app instead :frown:

Nothing's gonna happen, it was some teenager that did it, hacked their database and found a ton of people's name and numbers from loads of countries, that's it. No point in switching to another app anyway, people won't listen. I still use it, reluctantly.

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=pHu0_ksUAbQ
Most likely a scam. My mums been getting them, texts that say 'mum my phone died, text me on this whatsapp number' even though all her kids are at home with her. And she ignored it and got another one. And there was something in daily mail that said this is a typical scam that lures you into sending them money.
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
Nothing's gonna happen, it was some teenager that did it, hacked their database and found a ton of people's name and numbers from loads of countries, that's it. No point in switching to another app anyway, people won't listen. I still use it, reluctantly.

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=pHu0_ksUAbQ

To be fair, Whatsapp messages should be encrypted anyway- I was just scared of someone stealing my identity yk?
And yeah tbh I need to use it for work and most of my friends are on there as well so it would be a hassle to move to a completely different app
Freaking out over something so minor?? I've got several of those recently too, ''Annie,long time no see ,how are you'', ''Hi, Peter. How are you?'', ''Aren't you Charlie?'' And the profile picture of these accounts sending me these messages is always an attractive Chinese chick. I just tell them wrong number and move on, no need to panic about it lmao.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Freaking out over something so minor?? I've got several of those recently too, ''Annie,long time no see ,how are you'', ''Hi, Peter. How are you?'', ''Aren't you Charlie?'' And the profile picture of these accounts sending me these messages is always an attractive Chinese chick. I just tell them wrong number and move on, no need to panic about it lmao.

Indeed. I’d kill to have problems as minor as the people who post here seem to have.
Moved to life and style
Reply 13
Original post by hyacinth77
To be fair, Whatsapp messages should be encrypted anyway- I was just scared of someone stealing my identity yk?
And yeah tbh I need to use it for work and most of my friends are on there as well so it would be a hassle to move to a completely different app

Message content is encrypted but some metadata is not (at least until 2021):
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/whatsapp-end-to-end-encrypted-messages-arent-that-private-after-all/
Reply 14
Thanks for the informative article. Unogeeks is the top Oracle Fusion HCM Training Institute, which provides the best <a href=

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending